1428 users online (267 members and 1161 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075

    Unhappy Toddler Drowns During Birthday Party

    http://www.koco.com/news/24728556/detail.html



    Hughart said about 12 adults and seven children were at the party and that no alcohol was present. He says the boy's mother began looking for her son as the party was ending and that an uncle found Brenton in the pool.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075
    http://muskogeephoenix.com/local/x21...birthday-party

    The last person to see Brenton before he drowned was his grandmother, who said she had given him some suckers at around 8:55 p.m., Hughart said.

    The family performed CPR, and Muskogee County Sheriff Charles Pearson, who lives nearby, arrived and helped perform CPR until EMS arrived, Pearson said..
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    5,669
    I feel sorry for the family, but I can't help but wonder why the mother didn't know where her 3-year-old was until the end of the party. Why would you let a small child out of your sight near a pool? Maybe she thought someone else was watching him. I don't know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    I feel sorry for the family, but I can't help but wonder why the mother didn't know where her 3-year-old was until the end of the party. Why would you let a small child out of your sight near a pool? Maybe she thought someone else was watching him. I don't know.
    Babies + water = keep your eye on them constantly. The mom is probably beating herself up with "I should haves," but you just can't let your eyes off of them when there's water around.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,622
    I have a 3YO grandson and a pool with all of the requisite fencing and alarms, door locks etc, but it still terrifies me. It is precisely for this reason I have taught my daughter, SIL, hubby and babysitter to do the "official handoff" when they transfer responsibility. Ask and be sure that the person taking charge knows they 'have him. Wait for an audible response. When parties are going on or there is construction, anything that upsets the norm, it is sooo very easy to assume someone else has the child. Not a bad idea to do (imo) even if one does not have a pool. They get into things so quickly at that age.
    RIP little one.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,577
    That sounds like a great idea to do the hand off like that. I will say that when my daughter was three, she was always in my site around water. Little ones get away too fast.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    sitting on a cornflake
    Posts
    2,371
    I just HATE hearing stories like this. How do you not keep track of a 3 year-old around water? And this was an ABOVE ground pool, meaning he didn't just FALL in, he either climbed in unsupervised or was placed in the water.

    Nearly every discount store carries the toddler/child swimsuits with the built-in floatation. There's just no reason for this at all!


    "I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Florida's Treasure Coast
    Posts
    14,495
    I hate this, every year. This shows just how fast things happen to kids.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,830
    So Sad!

    Years ago, my friend had a pool party at her home and an 18-month old little girl drowned.

    I wasn't there, but had been to her home many times at parties.

    It was all over the local news the next day. As a birthday party was going on, with a lot of children swimming, Heather just slipped into the pool. Her mother and the woman having the party were on the deck near the house hanging wet towels to dry off, when the baby fell in. Her two older brothers were swimming in the pool as well. My friend (who is a nurse), jumped in and grabbed her out of the water, gave CPR but it was too late. It happened so fast.

    My friend eventually sold her home. Heather's mom was devastated and has never recovered from what happened.

    This tragedy could have been prevented. Never take your eyes off of your children (any age), when they are in or near water.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    State of Disbelief. SC
    Posts
    12,075
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeygal View Post
    So Sad!

    Years ago, my friend had a pool party at her home and an 18-month old little girl drowned.

    I wasn't there, but had been to her home many times at parties.

    It was all over the local news the next day. As a birthday party was going on, with a lot of children swimming, Heather just slipped into the pool. Her mother and the woman having the party were on the deck near the house hanging wet towels to dry off, when the baby fell in. Her two older brothers were swimming in the pool as well. My friend (who is a nurse), jumped in and grabbed her out of the water, gave CPR but it was too late. It happened so fast.

    My friend eventually sold her home. Heather's mom was devastated and has never recovered from what happened.

    This tragedy could have been prevented. Never take your eyes off of your children (any age), when they are in or near water.
    Prayers for your friend and Heather's mother. Such a sad story. It sounds like they reached Heather rather quickly, I'm so sorry she couldn't be saved. I bet there is more than enough guilty feelings in that family between her older brothers and her mom.
    Say what you mean, mean what you say, but don't say it mean.
    We are all just trying to make sense of an unimaginable crime.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,830
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovejac View Post
    Prayers for your friend and Heather's mother. Such a sad story. It sounds like they reached Heather rather quickly, I'm so sorry she couldn't be saved. I bet there is more than enough guilty feelings in that family between her older brothers and her mom.
    Yes Lovejac,

    Tremendous guilt for my friend and Heather's mom. A year after the tragedy, both ladies marriages broke up, and they divorced. - thus house being sold.

    I didn't want to judge either one of them, but you just don't take your eyes off of an 18 month old near a pool. When my boys were young, I never left their side whether near water or in my home. Folding towels would be my last priority.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    SoCal LB area
    Posts
    4,748
    Would it help for them to wear a life jacket like they would if they were in a boat just in case they fall in? I'm the most paranoid person ever...A toddler who could not swim would be sewn, glued and duct taped into a life jacket because I know I do not multi task well and could easily get distracted. How sad!!!!!!!!
    __________________
    Disclaimer: I have a JD, but I am not licensed to practice. Therefore, do not interpret anything contained in my posts as legal advice - they are my personal opinion only.



Similar Threads

  1. Child drowns at pool party
    By Kymistry35 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2009, 03:05 AM
  2. NY - Mom watches American Idol while toddler nearly drowns
    By 2sisters in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 02:53 AM
  3. Boy drowns at YMCA pool party
    By lostfaith in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 04:13 PM