Toddler Drowns During Birthday Party

I feel sorry for the family, but I can't help but wonder why the mother didn't know where her 3-year-old was until the end of the party. Why would you let a small child out of your sight near a pool? Maybe she thought someone else was watching him. I don't know.

I feel sorry for the family, but I can't help but wonder why the mother didn't know where her 3-year-old was until the end of the party. Why would you let a small child out of your sight near a pool? Maybe she thought someone else was watching him. I don't know.

Babies + water = keep your eye on them constantly. The mom is probably beating herself up with "I should haves," but you just can't let your eyes off of them when there's water around.

I have a 3YO grandson and a pool with all of the requisite fencing and alarms, door locks etc, but it still terrifies me. It is precisely for this reason I have taught my daughter, SIL, hubby and babysitter to do the "official handoff" when they transfer responsibility. Ask and be sure that the person taking charge knows they 'have him. Wait for an audible response. When parties are going on or there is construction, anything that upsets the norm, it is sooo very easy to assume someone else has the child. Not a bad idea to do (imo) even if one does not have a pool. They get into things so quickly at that age.
RIP little one. :(

That sounds like a great idea to do the hand off like that. I will say that when my daughter was three, she was always in my site around water. Little ones get away too fast.

I just HATE hearing stories like this. How do you not keep track of a 3 year-old around water? And this was an ABOVE ground pool, meaning he didn't just FALL in, he either climbed in unsupervised or was placed in the water.

Nearly every discount store carries the toddler/child swimsuits with the built-in floatation. There's just no reason for this at all!

I hate this, every year. This shows just how fast things happen to kids.

So Sad!

Years ago, my friend had a pool party at her home and an 18-month old little girl drowned.

I wasn't there, but had been to her home many times at parties.

It was all over the local news the next day. As a birthday party was going on, with a lot of children swimming, Heather just slipped into the pool. Her mother and the woman having the party were on the deck near the house hanging wet towels to dry off, when the baby fell in. Her two older brothers were swimming in the pool as well. My friend (who is a nurse), jumped in and grabbed her out of the water, gave CPR but it was too late. It happened so fast.

My friend eventually sold her home. Heather's mom was devastated and has never recovered from what happened.

This tragedy could have been prevented. Never take your eyes off of your children (any age), when they are in or near water.

So Sad!

Years ago, my friend had a pool party at her home and an 18-month old little girl drowned.

I wasn't there, but had been to her home many times at parties.

It was all over the local news the next day. As a birthday party was going on, with a lot of children swimming, Heather just slipped into the pool. Her mother and the woman having the party were on the deck near the house hanging wet towels to dry off, when the baby fell in. Her two older brothers were swimming in the pool as well. My friend (who is a nurse), jumped in and grabbed her out of the water, gave CPR but it was too late. It happened so fast.

My friend eventually sold her home. Heather's mom was devastated and has never recovered from what happened.

This tragedy could have been prevented. Never take your eyes off of your children (any age), when they are in or near water.

Prayers for your friend and Heather's mother. Such a sad story. It sounds like they reached Heather rather quickly, I'm so sorry she couldn't be saved. I bet there is more than enough guilty feelings in that family between her older brothers and her mom.

Prayers for your friend and Heather's mother. Such a sad story. It sounds like they reached Heather rather quickly, I'm so sorry she couldn't be saved. I bet there is more than enough guilty feelings in that family between her older brothers and her mom.

Yes Lovejac,

Tremendous guilt for my friend and Heather's mom. A year after the tragedy, both ladies marriages broke up, and they divorced. - thus house being sold.

I didn't want to judge either one of them, but you just don't take your eyes off of an 18 month old near a pool. When my boys were young, I never left their side whether near water or in my home. Folding towels would be my last priority.

Would it help for them to wear a life jacket like they would if they were in a boat just in case they fall in? I'm the most paranoid person ever...A toddler who could not swim would be sewn, glued and duct taped into a life jacket because I know I do not multi task well and could easily get distracted. How sad!!!!!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back