08-25-2010, 07:55 PM #46
Amber Alert Intensifies For Missing 8-Year-Old N.J. Boy
Published August 25, 2010
LUMBERTON, N.J.-- The Amber Alert search continues Wednesday morning for an 8-year-old South Jersey boy allegedly abducted by his father, a convicted sex-offender.
08-25-2010, 07:56 PM #47
Amber alert rescinded after 8-year-old lumberton boy found safe
Father is arrested on unrelated sexual assault charges
August 25, 2010
Burlington County Prosecutor Robert D. Bernardi announced today that the 8-year-old Lumberton boy who was the subject of an Amber Alert issued yesterday was found safe this afternoon in Medford Township, N.J.
08-26-2010, 10:56 AM #48
This one is very close to my heart. I just heard about it from my husband. TJ is my husbands sisters Grandson. TJ's mother (my husbands sisters daughter) died, after TJ was born, from kidney failure...she battled kidney problems her whole life. I thought that the fathers parents got custody (this is what I understood), but am reading now that the father had custody. My husbands sister is on her way now to NJ, from NC, to hopefully pick up TJ. I can not believe this guy had these prior convictions and was allowed access to his son. Believe it or not, my husbands family had no idea he had this criminal history.
I hope I haven't devulged too much personal info here, but I wanted to give an update and a little history on TJ's life.
Last edited by Searchfortruth; 08-26-2010 at 11:35 AM.
08-26-2010, 01:21 PM #49
It sounds like the "fathers" family really wants TJ back with them, I pray the judge sees it differently.
08-26-2010, 01:29 PM #50
08-26-2010, 02:01 PM #51
Dusseault's son was placed in the custody of the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services, but Bewley said family members have expressed interest in caring for the child. The boy's mother is deceased.
By "family members" they mean the fathers family members. This is concerning. We are trying to get info to the maternal grandmother via cell phone (as she is driving up to NJ now) about the fathers family's wishes to have TJ.
I never thought I would be involved in one of these cases that usually I only read about. And, I must say that my family members are not as interested in crime issues as I am. I sincerely doubt they check SO lists or read much about these cases. I am not disparaging them, simply trying to explain why his criminal record may have been missed by them.
08-26-2010, 02:23 PM #52
I guess since this has been posted in a news article, I can post here.
Dusseault had sole custody of Terry, known as "TJ," after his wife, Schanoie, died of kidney failure in 2002, said Minshew, her aunt.
The couple met when they worked at a carpet store in Goldsboro, N.C., and married in 2000, Minshew said.
Minshew said Dusseault told some North Carolina family members that the charges from 2005 were dismissed. "None of us knew about the conviction," she said.
Dusseault told Minshew that "it was an ex-girlfriend causing him trouble," she recalled. "I believed him."
Also, here's an explanation (not a good one) on why he wasn't on the NJ SO list when he moved to Burlington...
North Carolina, Dusseault, 38, had been convicted of possession of child pornography in 2007, and was a registered sex offender. He was given three months' probation, records show.
His probation was transferred to New Jersey and he was being supervised by a probation officer here, said Keith Acree, spokesman for North Carolina's Department of Correction.
Dusseault was required to register as a sex offender with law enforcement in New Jersey, and did so, officials said.
Burlington County officials notified state officials when Dusseault moved to Lumberton. Sgt. Steven Jones, spokesman for the New Jersey State Police, said the North Carolina charges did not meet New Jersey's requirements to list him as a registered sex offender on the state's Internet registry.
Dusseault completed his probation in June, Acree said.
Last edited by Searchfortruth; 08-26-2010 at 02:28 PM.
08-26-2010, 08:13 PM #53
Article and video of today's arraignment...
Here's a small part of the above linked article...Bolded sections are sickening to me. Nine year old victims, yet he can see his son with DCF supervision ?????
He is charged with sexually assaulting three young girls, and faces two counts of aggravated sexual assault and five counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
Bail was set at $300,000 cash and restraining orders were signed to keep him away from his alleged victims should he make bail.
The crimes allegedly took place between April 2009 and the end of 2009.
Sources say the victims were around nine years old.
If he is to see his son, it will be under the supervision of the Department of Youth and Family Services.
08-28-2010, 12:11 PM #54
An update...my sister in law was able to see TJ yesterday and he seems to be doing ok. From what I understand a custody hearing will be held sometime in September.
08-28-2010, 12:27 PM #55
I guess this story is on two seperate threads....anyway, just wanted to provide an update. My sister in law (the maternal Grandmother of TJ) was able to see him yesterday and he seems to be doing ok. There will be a custody hearing sometime in September.
08-30-2010, 02:51 PM #56Bail was set at $300,000 cash and restraining orders were signed to keep him away from his alleged victims should he make bail.
It's official---I'm moving off of this planet!!
08-30-2010, 03:06 PM #57
08-10-2011, 04:07 PM #58
Lumberton man rejects plea deal in sex assault case
Posted: Tuesday, August 2, 2011 5:00 am | Updated: 6:51 am, Tue Aug 2, 2011.
MOUNT HOLLY — A Lumberton man charged with multiple counts of aggravated sexual assault and endangering the welfare of a child rejected a plea deal Monday in Superior Court that would have sent him to prison for 10 years.
Terry Dusseault Jr., 39, was arrested last August after leaving his Canal Circle apartment with his then-8-year-old son, triggering a national Amber Alert for the boy when authorities feared for his safety because of concerns about the defendant’s mental state.
Dusseault fled with the child when he learned charges were pending against him, authorities said. The missing-child alert ended a day later when he and his son were located unharmed in Medford.
Dusseault has been in custody since and has pleaded not guilty to a 19-count indictment that was returned by a Burlington County grand jury in March.
He was indicted on two first-degree counts of aggravated sexual assault, three counts of sexual assault, 11 counts of endangering the welfare of a child, two counts of terroristic threats, and a count of tampering with a witness.
More at link...
08-10-2011, 04:13 PM #59
I really hope that the statements made by the defense attorney, in the above article, do not point to any problems with the states case. Just the fact that Dusseault rejected a 10 year plea, makes me nervous about the case. These victims (which are children) have to face this man, in court to testify, and that makes me sick. I wonder, if he's acquitted on these charges, if he has any chance of getting custody of his son back. I am a family member and very worried that the progress TJ has made, since being with the mother's side of the family, will be for naught should this SO regain custody.
03-25-2012, 06:27 AM #60
Lumberton man pleads guilty to sexually assaulting girls
By Danielle Camilli Staff writer | Posted: Tuesday, February 7, 2012 6:00 am
MOUNT HOLLY — A Lumberton man who was to go on trial Tuesday for the sexual assault of three girls pleaded guilty Friday in Superior Court.
Terry Dusseault Jr., 39, entered pleas to aggravated sexual assault and two counts of endangering the welfare of a child before Judge Jeanne T. Covert just days before a jury was to be selected.
If convicted of all the charges in the 19-count indictment, Dusseault could have faced 70 years in prison.
Last year, he rejected a 10-year sentence as part of a negotiated plea.
The plea deal now calls for the defendant to serve 12 years in state prison, Burlington County Assistant Prosecutor Michael Mormando said. Dusseault must serve more than 10 years before being eligible for parole, and he will be registered as a sex offender upon release, the prosecutor said.
Covert will sentence him April 18.
Dusseault was the target of a national Amber Alert in August 2010 after he left his home with his then-8-year-old son. The alert went out as authorities feared for the child’s safety over concerns about the defendant’s mental state.
Dusseault fled with the child when he learned that charges were pending against him in the sexual assault case, authorities said. The alert ended a day later when Dusseault and his son were located unharmed in Medford.
Dusseault has been in custody ever since. His son resides with relatives.
The assaults occurred in Pemberton Borough between April and December 2009 and involved three girls under age 13, prosecutors have said. The counts of endangering the welfare of a child included a fourth victim who authorities alleged viewed or was present at the time of the assaults.
All four children were prepared to testify at trial, but the plea will spare them from having to recount the incidents in a public courtroom, Mormando said.
Dusseault has been in trouble with the law before.
He was convicted of third-degree sexual exploitation of a minor in 2007 for possessing child pornography and was sentenced to probation, according to North Carolina Department of Corrections records.
That same year, he and his son moved from North Carolina to his mother’s home in the Maple Grove Estates development in Lumberton. They later moved to an apartment on Canal Circle at the Lumberton Apartments, where they lived with Dusseault’s brother.
By Missizzy in forum Recently Sentenced and BeyondReplies: 4Last Post: 12-09-2015, 02:03 AM
By dotr in forum Crimes-Spotlight on ChildrenReplies: 1Last Post: 10-30-2015, 12:22 AM
By gxm in forum Crimes-Spotlight on ChildrenReplies: 9Last Post: 05-20-2014, 07:24 PM
By PrayersForMaura in forum Crimes-Spotlight on ChildrenReplies: 1Last Post: 02-19-2006, 03:51 PM