2010.08.24 Defense Motion to Silence the Media

Dear Prudence

Reaction score
http://www.wftv.com/pdf/24746808/detail.html

A motion was filed objecting to Florida Statute Chapter 119.01 claiming the media's coverage of this case is unconstitutional. Defense claims Casey's 6th Amendment rights outweigh any First Amendment rights of the media.

As reference the defense attached an article from WESH.com titled "Casey's Latest Jail Purchases: Crackers and Cocoa."

If Baez/Casey hadn't wanted to spark the media and the public's interest, perhaps they shouldn't have sold Caylee's pics/videos for $205,000 to the media/entertainment business.

While complaining about embarrassing information being released to the public, they attached an article of embarrassing information to be released to the public.

If Baez/Casey hadn't wanted to spark the media and the public's interest, perhaps they shouldn't have sold Caylee's pics/videos for $205,000 to the media/entertainment business.

And maybe he shouldn’t be doing interviews every time anything happens!
:banghead:

This is a high profile case, the defense knows this - they have been sticking their faces in front of cameras for a long time now. IF the same requests were made to the Jail in reference to other inmates, and these requests were refused, the defense MIGHT have a point.

As to the records on how the defense is spending Florida Tax Payers money - well as a Florida Tax payer, I want to see how every dime is spent and what it is spent on. the defense is putting this trial front and center with their antics, they have been dragging this out for the last two years. If they don't want the intense scrutiny, have her plead out and put an end to it. It's in their hands, they chose this route - so now they have to pay the tolls and live with it.

AND How many times has Judge Perry 'reminded' JB that he has no jurisdiction over the jail? I can remember at least two different times, guess JB was not listening again.

Well the irony is indeed rich.

Maybe if Baez hadn't spent all his time filing frivolous motions and just got on with taking depositions and working on the defense, he would feel more secure about the way this situation is unfolding. Just another sign of his fear of what is ahead for himself and his client come trial IMO.

Get serious Baez, stop skirting the big issue. Find something solid you can argue for Casey's benefit, and if you can't, if you really can't, then stop testing the patience of the court, have a good sit down chat with your client and start negotiating LWOP.

Avoidance issues anybody?

I wonder why Jose thinks he is so special ?

Why he thinks the Laws of Florida should not apply to him ?

I can hear Perry now.. Baez you need to take that up in another court, I can't change the laws...

Baez is in a bubble...

Yawn.. Yawn Baez, Your boring and old..

Ever heard the story about a boy who cried "Wolf", by the time the Jury comes around they will be tainted by you Baez.. imo

I thought the defense fought the gag order. Would that have covered the other media coverage?

Seriously, having folks know what she orders from the commissary is so waaaaay worse that use all knowing that she allowed her daughter to die while in her care. Jose, don't you have more important things to focus on?

I thought the defense fought the gag order. Would that have covered the other media coverage?

Seriously, having folks know what she orders from the commissary is so waaaaay worse that use all knowing that she allowed her daughter to die while in her care. Jose, don't you have more important things to focus on?

The defense DID fight the gag order. If I remember correctly, JB even argued that it would violate Casey's constitutional rights to a fair trial if the gag order was put in place.

JB and the Anthony family created this media circus. JB put his wants before his clients needs when he fought the gag order. Now he wants to complain?? Why did it take you over TWO years? The interviews must be drying up? Can't make any more money off them?

They make me sick.

He's upset that people know that Casey ordered Cocoa and crackers?

That's the reason for this motion? That Casey can't get a fair trial because she ordered Cocoa and crackers?

This has to be a joke?

Oh wow! that's just...wow!

Show of hands, who here predicts HHJP once again reminding JB that he has no leverage or power over the jail or sheriff nor the ability to address any issues that JB has regarding the jail and freedom of information requests? Put simply it is not the criminal courts domain to play in. Any such complaints or litigation should be taken up with the appropriate sheriff.

edit: OK I just reread it and I am completely flabergasted. he is not asking, he is DEMANDING that the judge not simply make a ruling, but overturn state law, while providing absolutely no supporting case law, citations, anything? Some reference no matter how vague or wrong that might support his claim that his clients 6th amendment right to buy cheetoes and a hairbrush supersedes the first amendment freedom of the press or the state of Floridas legislative imperative to maintain complete transparency in the process? does JB even own a copy of the Florida statutes? An active Lexisnexis subscription? Even by JB's usual standards this is a particularly bottom end piece of work.

Defense Motion to Silence the Media?

I think Shakespeare said it best...

Macbeth,
Act 5 Scene 5

Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Oh wow! that's just...wow!

Show of hands, who here predicts HHJP once again reminding JB that he has no leverage or power over the jail or sheriff nor the ability to address any issues that JB has regarding the jail and freedom of information requests? Put simply it is not the criminal courts domain to play in. Any such complaints or litigation should be taken up with the appropriate sheriff.

So how much patience do you think HHJP has left? Do we think JB is trying to push his Honor over the edge??? Anyone hear whether or not they have looked at those TES records yet, or are they planning on showing up tomorrow morning and complain they did not have enough time to finish???? jmo

I saw the articles in the Today's News thread and thought, "not AGAIN!" This argument is SOOOOO OLD. :banghead:

They should move and apply for a license in another state that hasn't adopted the Sunshine Laws.

One of the worst things about this case is these endless insights into the thought processes of the 'special' ones among us, those who think the rules don't apply to them. The endless narcissism is sickening, and the stupidity engendered by their self-obsession is irritating. Since the defendant, her family, and her counsel all appear to operate within the same bubble, I guess it's hard for them to comprehend that to the public, and the court, and also the jail, they are just a bunch of Joe Blows involved in a straightforward, simple case (with one victim, who: hot tip alert! isn't any of them) that will no doubt be resolved very swiftly once it gets to court and the jury hears the simple irrefutable facts of what happened and also what didn't happen.

Defense Motion to Silence the Media?

I think Shakespeare said it best...

Macbeth,
Act 5 Scene 5

Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Perfect!!!!!!

Members online