Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Troy Davis fails to prove his innocence to Supreme Court

Time of death was 11:08

R.I.P. Troy Davis...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:

The time of death is 11:08, Georgia time.

Best-
    Herding Cats

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Herding Cats For This Useful Post:

Troy Davis is dead. Time of death 11:08pm Eastern Time

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    so what can we do now...

this is a time for action.. not inaction
    This bee my opinion

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

I'm almost crying right now and I don't even know all specifics of this case.
    !~*Mar*~!

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WillenFan21 For This Useful Post:

God, what is wrong with the world!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Isabelle For This Useful Post:

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    I'm signing off... Love to all of you

Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to belimom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    I'm signing off... Love to all of you

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:

I feel badly for all the people that have worked hard on this case for so many years only to have their hopes shattered...
    It's all so sad.

RIP Troy Davis
    RIP Mark Macphail

No one wins here....
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to deelytful1 For This Useful Post:

Safe home Troy Davis; they can't hurt you anymore. You are now free!

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jacie Estes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post
    so what can we do now...

this is a time for action.. not inaction
    My only recommendation is to do what I have always done when I see something like this happen and that is, in honor of Troy or any number of people who may have been innocent who have been executed, or in honor of the people like Marie who always fought and find a case of innocence that interests you, investigate it to the fullest to ensure that you believe their claims and then fight for them. I, personally, will be contacting Joe Giarratano's lawyers tomorrow to ask to rejoin the defense team.

ETA: If you contact your local Innocence Project and offer to volunteer, I can't imagine that they would turn you away.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/163555...is-be-executed

interviews.. his last statements... heartbreaking
    This bee my opinion

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

He claimed his innocence until the end.....
    It's just MOO. I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time and it surely won't be the last!

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deelytful1 For This Useful Post:

he addressed the family of the victim... he said he didn't do it and asked that those that killed him had mercy from God on their souls.
    This bee my opinion

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

"I did not have a gun, I did not take your father, son, brother. I am innocent"

30. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BeanE For This Useful Post:

he did not eat his last meal or take his ativan

http://www.thenation.com/blog/163555...is-be-executed
    This bee my opinion

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nursebeeme For This Useful Post:

He did not take the Ativan

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:

I think I am going to go lay down and try to get some sleep. I've got to get some rest because I intend to strap my boots back on tomorrow and get back into the fight.

Good night everyone. I'm so grateful for WS, and that I had all of you to be with tonight to help try to deal with this.

Perhaps we could talk to Trisha and see if we can get a sub forum for innocence cases to help shed some light on them. There are lots of them out there....

36. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:

I am worried that Georgia may have it wrong this time.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Searchfortruth For This Useful Post:

I had read that Troy had refused a Last Meal as a special one. As he did times before, he opted for the regular prison food (cheeseburger, etc).

I do not know if he ate it, but there were prison officials who were apparently monitoring his food intake, mood, etc.

fwiw...matters little now. I am more empowered for the fight going forward, thanks to this case. So sorry for Troy having been the additional impetus by having to die for what I perceive as a true injustice.

I was always on his side, for good REASON.

Peace and good rest to all this night...the fight continues tomorrow.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shana For This Useful Post:

I have only been following this case since it appeared in the local (Australia) paper a day or two ago.

I've tried to read up on things and haven't seen anything yet to convince me he isn't guilty. I'm hearing all the same things I usually hear from people about to be executed. I studied up on the Michael Perry case when his execution was nearing last year and the story was the same.

Now I know I'm half a planet away, but at what stage do we step back and say "actually, this guy IS guilty"?

The irony of us all (myself included) being part of the websleuths community isn't lost when I say this, but are we perhaps putting ourselves ahead of the justice system a bit too much these days?

I have a US cousin who is a priest who visits prisoners on death row every week and he assures me, they're all innocent....just like Mr Davis.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wonderllama For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wonderllama View Post
    I have only been following this case since it appeared in the local (Australia) paper a day or two ago.

I've tried to read up on things and haven't seen anything yet to convince me he isn't guilty. I'm hearing all the same things I usually hear from people about to be executed. I studied up on the Michael Perry case when his execution was nearing last year and the story was the same.

Now I know I'm half a planet away, but at what stage do we step back and say "actually, this guy IS guilty"?

The irony of us all (myself included) being part of the websleuths community isn't lost when I say this, but are we perhaps putting ourselves ahead of the justice system a bit too much these days?

I have a US cousin who is a priest who visits prisoners on death row every week and he assures me, they're all innocent....just like Mr Davis.
    As a Legal Studies major (who can't sleep) and a person who volunteered for the Innocence Project cases for years and was there when one of the 138 innocent death row prisoners was released and held his face in my hands, I can assure you that it is always the public's duty to keep a watchful eye on our government and the judicial system. I don't know what things are like in Australia, but the founders of America and the Framers of our Constitution expected us to be vigilant in the defense of our Constitutional rights and insisted that these processes be transparent and a matter of public record so that we could look for ourselves.

I have worked many cases. I have been asked to assist on at least ten times as many as I have actually taken on. I refuse to assist on a case in which I have not read the entire record because there are so many innocence cases out there and I don't have time to help those I don't believe in, nor do I believe that I would be truly helping if my heart were not in it. Of the 17 cases I had a hand in, all of the men except 2 have been released. One I was wrong about. The other had his sentence commuted to life WITH parole, but procedural rules block him from getting a new trial.

After seeing so many injustices in this country and knowing how they happen, I am never ready to execute until the evidence proves their guilt. And by evidence, I mean physical evidence. Not recanted eye witness testimony.

44. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:

I think this case may be the tipping for me switching my major to criminal justice. Not sure what I would do with it but I'm feeling more passionate about crime then political science.

I hope his supporters can go back and prove he didn't do it in some court or place of authority. I'm drawing a blank on the gentleman's name, the wit who said Troy was shooter but later told other people he did it and possibly threatened a witness. CNN tried to interview him but they couldnt find him.

I understand double jeopardy but if they gathered enough evidence could this guy be charged with the murder as well? I'm not optimistic that this would ever happen but I was just wondering about it.

46. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to greycoupon For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by greycoupon View Post
    I think this case may be the tipping for me switching my major to criminal justice. Not sure what I would do with it but I'm feeling more passionate about crime then political science.

I hope his supporters can go back and prove he didn't do it in some court or place of authority. I'm drawing a blank on the gentleman's name, the wit who said Troy was shooter but later told other people he did it and possibly threatened a witness. CNN tried to interview him but they couldnt find him.

I understand double jeopardy but if they gathered enough evidence could this guy be charged with the murder as well? I'm not optimistic that this would ever happen but I was just wondering about it.
    The man's name is Sylvester "Redd" Coles. And from my understanding, he was not charged with this crime. I will have to go look and find out. He did admit to the police that he was the person who started the fight with the homeless man as well. If he was charged and tried in this crime, he can never, ever be tried again, regardless of any evidence, even if someone were to come up with a video tape of him doing it. If he has not been tried, he could be brought to justice, but it would NEVER happen. Because to try him--much less convict him, the state of GA would have to admit that they murdered Troy Davis tonight and that is a mistake that they can never admit.

48. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HRCODEPINK For This Useful Post:

See, we're about to change that rule here in Victoria, Australia.
    Removal of Double Jeopardy in cases where indisputable evidence arises and the like.

It's an interesting prospect, but also a little worrying.

50. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wonderllama For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast