1134 users online (203 members and 931 guests)  

Websleuths News

NY - Muslim cabdriver stabbed for professing his faith

The true definition of a hate crime. A person professes their faith and they are violently attacked. My prayers go out to Mr. Sharif and his family. This is SHAMEFUL!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_cabbie...ljZW55Y2FiYg--

Police: NY cabbie is asked if he's Muslim, stabbed

"NEW YORK – A drunken passenger riding in a New York City taxi cab attacked the driver after asking him if he was Muslim, police said Wednesday.

The driver told police that when he answered yes, Michael Enright pulled out a folding hand tool, reached into the front seat and slashed him.

Enright was arrested Tuesday night on charges including attempted murder as a hate crime, said Deputy Inspector Kim Royster, a New York Police Department spokeswoman.

The driver was treated for cuts to the throat, upper lip, forearm and thumb, Royster said.

The New York Taxi Workers Alliance identified the victim as Ahmed H. Sharif, a yellow cab driver for 15 years......"

More at link

This is absolutely appalling. I hope they throw the book at the man who did it.
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Why so much fear and hatred in the world?

If only we would all seek to know our fellow man.

Omg, I hope the guy gets put away for a long time.

An odd story, all around but I am so NOT going to accept an "alcohol" defense here. Let's all have a look at what a hate criminal looks like:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100826/...5oZWxkd2l0aG8-

"A college student who did volunteer work in Afghanistan was charged Wednesday with slashing a taxi driver's neck and face after the driver said he's Muslim.

A criminal complaint alleges Michael Enright uttered an Arabic greeting and told the driver, "Consider this a checkpoint," before the brutal bias attack occurred Tuesday night inside the yellow cab on Manhattan's East Side. Police say Enright was drunk at the time.

A judge ordered Enright, 21, held without bail on charges of attempted murder and assault as hate crimes and possession of a weapon...."

and

"Enright volunteered for Intersections International, a group that promotes interfaith dialogue and has supported plans for an Islamic center and mosque two blocks from ground zero...."

more at link

Something tells me that Enright didn't really practice what he was preaching. My prayers continue for Mr. Sharif. It sounds as if he's fortunate to be alive.

http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/ar...merge/19608552

Michael Enright: 4 Most Surprising Facts About the Alleged Anti-Muslim Stabber

This just gets stranger.

Thanks for the info MissIzzy. This guy has really lost it. Yes, this cab driver is lucky to be alive. The current climate in this country regarding those of different religious and political views is frightening. There are times I am ashamed to be American.

Thank goodness that Mr. Sharif is well enough to meet with the mayor today and to answer questions at a press conference. Many people are gathering together to speak out against hate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100826/...ZmaWNpYWxzdA--

NY official: Stabbing suspect had war journals

"Michael Enright once volunteered with an interfaith group that has supported a proposal for a mosque near ground zero — a background distinctly at odds with what authorities say happened inside a city taxi.

The baby-faced college student was charged Wednesday with using a folding knife to slash the neck and face of the taxi's Bangladeshi driver after the driver said he was Muslim. Enright was so drunk and incoherent when he was arrested that he was taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, police said. He was later taken to court and remained jailed without bail Thursday on hate crime charges...."

and

"....Enright uttered "Assalamu aleikum," Arabic for "Peace be upon you," and told the driver, "Consider this a checkpoint," before attacking him Tuesday night inside the yellow cab in Manhattan, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said."

more at link

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Thank goodness that Mr. Sharif is well enough to meet with the mayor today and to answer questions at a press conference. Many people are gathering together to speak out against hate.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100826/...ZmaWNpYWxzdA--

NY official: Stabbing suspect had war journals

"Michael Enright once volunteered with an interfaith group that has supported a proposal for a mosque near ground zero a background distinctly at odds with what authorities say happened inside a city taxi.

The baby-faced college student was charged Wednesday with using a folding knife to slash the neck and face of the taxi's Bangladeshi driver after the driver said he was Muslim. Enright was so drunk and incoherent when he was arrested that he was taken to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation, police said. He was later taken to court and remained jailed without bail Thursday on hate crime charges...."

and

"....Enright uttered "Assalamu aleikum," Arabic for "Peace be upon you," and told the driver, "Consider this a checkpoint," before attacking him Tuesday night inside the yellow cab in Manhattan, Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said."

more at link
    Wow, stranger by the minute. I wonder if something might have happened in Afghanistan that triggered a post-traumatic stress reaction? I had a friend go bonkers like that over something that happened in Vietnam -- thank God he snapped out of it before he injured anybody. It might not be the same thing, and obviously I'm not a doctor or a shrink, but it just sounds so similar
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)