Linguistics

Holdontoyourhat

Former Member
Reaction score
We apparently don't have fingerprints, but we have linguistics, handwriting, and DNA. Unlike fiber, they are unique signatures that can be matched to its owner, a real person. The person who murdered JBR could ultimately be identified by their DNA, handwriting, or linguistics.

We've been over handwriting and DNA enough, but what about linguistics? I'm specifically looking for expressions within the ransom note that are probably personal mannerisms. Unique traits, like a signature.

If it is the tendency of a person to use lines from movies, then that is one of their personal mannerisms.

If it is the standard practice of someone to end their letters with the closing salutation 'Victory!' then that person is probably matching the linguistic profile of the ransom note author.

Is there a linguistic profile, and if so what are its characteristics?

Was this the first ransom note written by this person? Was it the last? Was this the first 3 page letter ever written by this person, or is this person an author, a journalist, or a screenwriter?

Here's the main question I have: What specific expressions or linguistic profile traits apparent in the ransom note could be expected to be found in other writings by the same person?

We apparently don't have fingerprints, but we have linguistics, handwriting, and DNA. Unlike fiber, they are unique signatures that can be matched to its owner, a real person. The person who murdered JBR could ultimately be identified by their DNA, handwriting, or linguistics.

We've been over handwriting and DNA enough, but what about linguistics? I'm specifically looking for expressions within the ransom note that are probably personal mannerisms. Unique traits, like a signature.

If it is the tendency of a person to use lines from movies, then that is one of their personal mannerisms.

If it is the standard practice of someone to end their letters with the closing salutation 'Victory!' then that person is probably matching the linguistic profile of the ransom note author.

Was this the first ransom note written by this person? Was it the last? Was this the first 3 page letter ever written by this person, or is this person an author, a journalist, or a screenwriter?

Here's the main question I have: What specific expressions or linguistic profile traits apparent in the ransom note could be expected to be found in other writings by the same person?

Thanks for putting this up HOTYH, it's interesting.

I think you for one evaluate the RN as the writer's real feelings.

There are others who believe it was simply written to taunt the Rs.

Still others who believe it was written to throw the investigators off the real reason for her death and distract attention from the real killers.

Perhaps it will be a matter of who you think committed the murder as to how you view the RN.

As RDI, it obviously locks you into the cover-up scenario.

As IDI, the possibilities are as broad as are the possibilites of who the murderer is.

To me, the note matches Patsy in linguistics and handwriting.

Someone who ends a letter with the salutation 'Victory!' all the time would be a really strong match to the linguistic profile of the ransom note, wouldn't it? Because its very unique.

I'll repeat my question: What specific expressions or linguistic profile traits apparent in the ransom note could be expected to be found in other writings by the same person?

I have a few ideas of my own but I'd like to hear from the regulars.

Hmm! HOTYH, what would you say if I told you that I knew of someone who had a tendency to speak and write very similarly to how the RN reads?

Good questions. I've read some linguistic profiles of this.

Now we're cooking!

HOTYH, this might be the best thread you've started.

I'll repeat my question: What specific expressions or linguistic profile traits apparent in the ransom note could be expected to be found in other writings by the same person?

Well, I guess it would be things like repetition, word combinations, use of punctuation, tendency to use acronyms.

Those are just the ones I can think of now.

Someone who ends a letter with the salutation 'Victory!' all the time would be a really strong match to the linguistic profile of the ransom note, wouldn't it? Because its very unique.

HOTYH, you are a genius!

No one ends a letter with the salutation "Victory!".
No one begins a letter with "Listen carefully".

This is because this is not a ransom note.

It is a script.

It was not meant to be read by PR.

It was meant to be heard by JR.

The script was to be acted out in a telephone call to JR.

:woohoo:

Hmm! HOTYH, what would you say if I told you that I knew of someone who had a tendency to speak and write very similarly to how the RN reads?

Good questions. I've read some linguistic profiles of this.

Now we're cooking!

HOTYH, this might be the best thread you've started.

Well thanks.

I'm really hoping to get some feedback as to specific expressions in the ransom note that we could expect to see in other writings by the same person.

Does PR begin letters with 'listen carefully' or end them with 'Victory!'? Has she ever started a sentence with 'At this time...'? What are the specific expressions in the ransom note that match some of PR's preexisting writings?

I know how you like to focus on PR as RN author...

HOTYH, you are a genius! Oh I don't know about THAT.

No one ends a letter with the salutation "Victory!". I think someone does quite regularly.
No one begins a letter with "Listen carefully". The ransom note author did. Could be habit.

This is because this is not a ransom note.

It is a script.

It was not meant to be read by PR.

It was meant to be heard by JR.

The script was to be acted out in a telephone call to JR.

:woohoo:

A script or a speech? Or a lecture:

the delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested
Use that good southern common sense of yours. Dont try to grow a brain.
Dont think that killing will be difficult. Follow our instructions...Make sure that you bring...so I advise you not to provoke them...

This person says so I advise you a lot. This is an example of a specific expression or mannerism that I would expect to see in other writings by this person. Things are this way, so I advise you to do that. Except the author uses no comma. There's no pause.

Spoken as in a script, speech, or lecture but with no pausing:
  1. The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested.
  2. The two gentlemen watching over your daughter do not particularly like you so I advise you not to provoke them.
It could've been a script, not a ransom note. I thought the ransom note seemed too rhetorical. Wasn't there a phone call the next day?

Well, I guess it would be things like repetition, word combinations, use of punctuation, tendency to use acronyms.

Those are just the ones I can think of now.

'so I advise you' is repeated, is a word combination, and omits the comma punctuation (no pausing). Can you find this in PR's preexisting writing?

verbatim from this website that made me laugh a dozen times,

http://hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=your-crazy-horoscope-for-the-week-ending-august-15-2010-08-03

Leo

Temptation will test you mid-week, be very careful especially if the temptation is related to romantic matters. Now if you find a very large stash of bank notes, there's a good chance that it was ill-gotten in the first place so I advise you to keep it after deducting my 10 percent

http://hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=your-crazy-horoscope-for-the-week-ending-august-15-2010-08-03

hi! i happen to BE a linguist. (BA, MA, univ of calif)

and, i dont know much at all about the case, which is perfect for looking at the note/letter the way you are asking for.

i left laptop at work. am on iphone. i'll come by tomorrow. i'll have to get h/c of transcript (not the writing)

looking fwrd to it! --tapu

A script or a speech? Or a lecture:

the delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested
Use that good southern common sense of yours. Dont try to grow a brain.
Dont think that killing will be difficult. Follow our instructions...Make sure that you bring...so I advise you not to provoke them...

This person says so I advise you a lot. This is an example of a specific expression or mannerism that I would expect to see in other writings by this person. Things are this way, so I advise you to do that. Except the author uses no comma. There's no pause.

Spoken as in a script, speech, or lecture but with no pausing:
  1. The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested.
  2. The two gentlemen watching over your daughter do not particularly like you so I advise you not to provoke them.
It could've been a script, not a ransom note. I thought the ransom note seemed too rhetorical. Wasn't there a phone call the next day?

Ok, well maybe it is me that's the genius LOL.

I can hear the conversation now:

Bring!!- Bring!! Bring!! - Bring!!

Mr Ramsey

Listen Carefully!

She dies.
She dies.
She dies.

It's up to you now John

Victory!

Would he have used a foreign accent?

Or would he have used a voice synthesizer to sound like Darth Vader?

And what is S.B.T.C ? Notice, no full-stop after C?
Was it short hand for something to be spoken, or is it a stage direction?

hi! i happen to BE a linguist. (BA, MA, univ of calif)

and, i dont know much at all about the case, which is perfect for looking at the note/letter the way you are asking for.

i left laptop at work. am on iphone. i'll come by tomorrow. i'll have to get h/c of transcript (not the writing)

looking fwrd to it! --tapu

Here's the text:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/16/ramsey.ransom.note/

"Mr. Ramsey: Listen Carefully! We are a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction. We respect your business, but not the country it serves.
At this time, we have your daughter in our possession. She is safe and unharmed and if you want her to see 1997, you must follow our instructions to the letter.
You will withdraw $118,000 from your account. $100,000 will be in $100 bills and the remaining $18,000 in $20 bills. Make sure that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank.
When you get home, you will put the money in a brown paper bag. I will call you between 8 and 10 a.m. tomorrow to instruct you on delivery. The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested. If we monitor you getting the money early we might call you early to arrange an earlier delivery of the money and hence and earlier pickup of your daughter.
Any deviation of my instructions will result in the immediate execution of your daughter. You will also be denied her remains for a proper burial. The two gentlemen watching over your daughter do not particularly like you so I advise you not to provoke them.
Speaking to anyone about your situation, such as police or F.B.I. will result in your daughter being beheaded. If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies. If you alert bank authorities, she dies. If the money is in way marked or tampered with, she dies. You can try to deceive us, but be warned we are familiar with law enforcement countermeasures and tactics.
You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to outsmart us. Follow our instructions and you stand a 100% of getting her back. You and your family are under constant scrutiny, as well as the authorities.
Don't try to grow a brain John. You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult. Don't underestimate us, John. Use that good, Southern common sense of yours. It's up to you now John! Victory! S.B.T.C."

I can't wait to hear what tapu has to say about the linguistics. Personally, I don't think the writer of the note had to have been the person who killed JonBenet, but I do believe the writer either intentionally or unintentionally wanted to cast John in a very bad light.

Hm.
I just noticed something.

You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult.

What is the writer implying?That it's no big deal for "fat cats" to kill?According to the writer,both him and JR are fat cats.So what exactly do they have in common,killing,something else?

It is a script.

I always had the feeling that there are actually two parts

1.Mr. Ramsey: Listen Carefully! We are a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction. We respect your business, but not the country it serves.
At this time, we have your daughter in our possession. She is safe and unharmed and if you want her to see 1997, you must follow our instructions to the letter.
You will withdraw $118,000 from your account. $100,000 will be in $100 bills and the remaining $18,000 in $20 bills. Make sure that you bring an adequate size attache to the bank.
When you get home, you will put the money in a brown paper bag. I will call you between 8 and 10 a.m. tomorrow to instruct you on delivery. The delivery will be exhausting so I advise you to be rested. If we monitor you getting the money early we might call you early to arrange an earlier delivery of the money and hence and earlier pickup of your daughter.
Any deviation of my instructions will result in the immediate execution of your daughter. You will also be denied her remains for a proper burial. The two gentlemen watching over your daughter do not particularly like you so I advise you not to provoke them.
Speaking to anyone about your situation, such as police or F.B.I. will result in your daughter being beheaded. If we catch you talking to a stray dog, she dies. If you alert bank authorities, she dies. If the money is in way marked or tampered with, she dies. You can try to deceive us, but be warned we are familiar with law enforcement countermeasures and tactics.
You stand a 99% chance of killing your daughter if you try to outsmart us. Follow our instructions and you stand a 100% of getting her back. You and your family are under constant scrutiny, as well as the authorities.

2.Don't try to grow a brain John. You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult. Don't underestimate us, John. Use that good, Southern common sense of yours. It's up to you now John! Victory! S.B.T.C."

To me it sounds like nr.1 and nr.2 are from two different stories.The tone is totally different.Nr.2 is full of ego,nr.1 is instructions.

I always had the feeling that there are actually two parts

1.Mr. Ramsey: Listen Carefully! We are a group of individuals that represent a small foreign faction. We respect your business, but not the country it serves.

2.Don't try to grow a brain John. You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult. Don't underestimate us, John. Use that good, Southern common sense of yours. It's up to you now John! Victory! S.B.T.C."

To me it sounds like nr.1 and nr.2 are from two different stories.The tone is totally different.Nr.2 is full of ego,nr.1 is instructions.

I can almost agree with this to the extent that I can imagine No 1 being spoken flatly with a voice synthesizer a la Darth Vader. It's all business and lacking in emotion. Part 2 on the other hand, is emotional and sounds like he is being taunted and nagged!!

Hm.
I just noticed something.

You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult.

What is the writer implying?That it's no big deal for "fat cats" to kill?According to the writer,both him and JR are fat cats.So what exactly do they have in common,killing,something else?

Here's my take on it:

You are not the only fat cat around [there are other fat cats besides you] so don't think that killing [other fat cats] will be difficult.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back