1276 users online (292 members and 984 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

AL - Baby Born With Meth In System Mom Jailed

Whitney Leigh Holsonback aged 24 is responsible for one of the youngest people addicted to meth. That would be her newborn baby who was subjected to meth in utero.

Holsonback was arrested. Bonded out. Was due for drug testing by the courts. Had a hot urine and is now back in prison.

http://www.waff.com/Global/story.asp?S=13044112

Talk about the destruction of drugs. Last reported the baby was being cared for in the hospital where Holsbrook delivered around August 18th.

Myspace

Holsonback's Myspace is private, but it shows a photograph of three pretty young ladies one of which is her if compared to her photo in the news.

Seemingly everyday, nice girls one would think. No doubt she was at one time until meth got her. I am not excusing her. Not by a stretch but it just goes to show yet again you have decent people that not only lose their lives to drugs, but put their own children in harms way.

http://www.myspace.com/whitni20

Oh Filly, this always breaks my heart. One in eight babies born in the US have some illicit substance in their blood. Parents do not realize that babies do NOT grow out of this exposure. The damage has long since been done. The hardwiring has been bungled. No doubt this mom did not seek prenatal care as she would have been caught and placed in a residential facility or tested weekly.

I've raised 7 children with crack cocaine exposure and one with meth exposure. The child with meth exposure continuously has behaved as if he were on meth for the full 16 years he's been our son--no matter how much special ed, therapy, behavior modification and management, or psychotropics were used. A judge told him recently, "Son, sometimes all society can do is sanction someone who can't control their own behavior." He's a wise judge. The sad fact is that our son did not choose to have his brain chemistry altered. His birthmother made that choice.

The child suffers and all of society will pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Oh Filly, this always breaks my heart. One in eight babies born in the US have some illicit substance in their blood. Parents do not realize that babies do NOT grow out of this exposure. The damage has long since been done. The hardwiring has been bungled. No doubt this mom did not seek prenatal care as she would have been caught and placed in a residential facility or tested weekly.

I've raised 7 children with crack cocaine exposure and one with meth exposure. The child with meth exposure continuously has behaved as if he were on meth for the full 16 years he's been our son--no matter how much special ed, therapy, behavior modification and management, or psychotropics were used. A judge told him recently, "Son, sometimes all society can do is sanction someone who can't control their own behavior." He's a wise judge. The sad fact is that our son did not choose to have his brain chemistry altered. His birthmother made that choice.

The child suffers and all of society will pay.
    Wow, one in eight Msizzy!? I didn't realize it was that high. In this case, the mom's looks are deceiving. She doesn't look like your typical strung-out drug abuser.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Nineteen years ago, in nursing school, in Sacramento, CA I did my high risk peds rotation at UC Davis, a large teaching hospital, afiliated with the UC Davis University in Davis CA.

I was in the neo-natal nursery and had been caring for a baby girl. She was born with three drugs in her pre-mature system. She was ready to leave the hospital and I had to hand her to her mother. It broke my heart and forever altered my nursing choices. There was also a 3 year old angel, born in the hospital, who had NEVER left. Her mother abandoned her there, refusing to come and get her or release her for adoption. There was a list as long as my arm of people who wanted to adopt her. My name was there also.

I refused to ever be a pediatrics nurse, as I would rather go to jail than give children back to abusive parents. I have no idea how much things have changed since then and I truly do not wish to find out. It is far too heart breaking.

Now you all know why we chose adoption rather than foster care!! Thank you for that story, Sunnie. How I wish I could hug the angels who cared for my youngest eight children. They were all born drug and alcohol exposed. All but two were abandoned in the hospital. All were preemies born addicted with myriad special needs. I have no photos of them. No notes, other that poor copies of medical updates. One daughter stayed in the hospital, after her birth at 25 weeks, for over 7 months. She was even separated for months from her twin brother. Once I got hold of these kids, they were NOT going anywhere.....so I understand your decision fully. I never got to comfort my children while they were in withdrawal, as they didn't come to us until ages 2-7 years. I have to believe that there are men and women in the hospitals who gently cared for them, as they had no one to love them. It's a subject I can't dwell on for very long as I long to go back in time and hold them close when they were infants.

I've been sitting here scrambling to back up my statement above. It's very strange to me that, even as a trained and experienced advocate (and pretty good sleuther), I couldn't immediately put my finger on the current statistics. I did find some very interesting links for those who are interested. As always the first link is a wealth of information:

http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwi...rugexposed.cfm

This site explains what the laws are state by state concerning the consideration of drug and/or alcohol use during pregnancy and abuse. In reading further on the site, I see statistics from 2007 and 2009 stating that one out of every eight babies born in the US has been exposed to alcohol in utero and (depending on the study), one out of every 9 has been exposed to some form of illicit drugs. There are extensive and scholarly papers written about the difficulty of gathering these statistics as many babies are exposed to both alcohol and drugs. There is a subset just exposed to alcohol but the vast majority of those exposed to drugs, have also been exposed to alcohol and tobacco. Very very sad. As I said, please bookmark the US Child Welfare site. They have so much wonderful and enlightening information about children.

As an aside, I ran across something that I consider a dream come true. I can only pray that our government (county, state, and federal) continues to support places like this as they are lifesavers for the most vulnerable babies of all:

http://www.picc.net/

Sunnie, how I wish it was you who had cared for one of my children. They were all born in major hospitals in the Bay Area and Los Angeles from 1985-1990. If you know any nurses who choose to work the neo-nate nurseries, give them a hug from me.

I know several MissIzzy and I praise them loud and long!!! They are true angels of mercy and I admire them greatly!!! When I came to TX, we had pediatric patients on our adult med surg floor. In the year they were there (they now have their own ward), we had 8 cases of abused children. We also had parents of chronically ill children that went beyond any above in any way possible to give their child the best life possible. Every shift I had at least two pediatric patients. It was emotionally very difficult for me.

It further cemented in me, that I can not be a pediatric nurse. I get WAY too emotionally involved. I almost got fired when one of the pediatricians released an 18 month little girl to her Mother, after, you guessed it, she was sexually abused by Moms boyfriend. I called child protective services and the police officer that is stationed in our ER, and would not let her leave the floor with her daughter. This was after I gave Mom discharge instructions that included follow up appointments with doctors and psychologists, as well as child protective services. Mom made the mistake of admitting to me that the abuse had occured and that she knew about it. She denied it to everyone else.

Luckily, in that case, child protective services was angry at the physician for not reporting the Mom, so it all worked out. The child was placed in foster care, pending an investigation. Poor sweet baby. She broke my heart when they took her from Mommy as she became hysterical. There is no mercy for these sweet babies. It gave me nightmares for weeks.

Oh Sunnie, I do understand. I had to be drug...literally yelling and screaming....to the foster care door. We had raised all our children and due to my illness, were not able to kick up our heels as expected and have fun. Life got soooo boring. A caseworker called one day to see if we might be interested in foster care for developmentally disabled teens. We decided to give it a shot, being totally open about my limited abilities.

We quickly had two 17 year old teens placed with us, a boy and a girl. We loved them to death but they aged out of the system and moved on. We stay in constant touch via email. Then we were introduced to this quirky young lady who I just did not click with at all. She was super-drugged, hyper, had odd mannerisms and was extremely socially inept. She was in desperate need of a home, though, so we decided to at least try. This young lady had suffered a lithium overdose at the hands of a mentally ill parent. She had numerous other "issues" and was so touch sensitive, she literally levitated if you touched her shoulder.

Fast forward two years. She stuck. She's not going anywhere. She's our daughter, through and through, plain and simple. We sought permanent foster care and will adopt her on her 21st birthday. She's off all meds, lets me hug her and brush her hair. She's beautiful and silly and appropriate--a totally normal 10 year old in a lovely and healthy 16 year old body. She lovingly cares for our special needs rescue doggies and is bound and determined to collect every Hannah Montana item ever created. She writes me stories and I write her "dream starters". We make collaged pictures together. She is gentle with me when I have a seizure and bounces right back, just as I do. I adore her, as does the rest of the family. She is the 14th child.

I put so much energy into our other 13 but I gave all I could. They are on their own to fly. My grandchildren beckon but they are loved by wonderful parents and my husband. I had to make the choice to give the tiny amount I had left to this child. And it's been the right choice. This child truly needed our consistency and dedication. I believe that she came to us in the nick of time as we are her 26th placement, but her last. She's our swan song and it is a sweet one indeed.

Loving the children who've been hurt is the most painful and yet the most rewarding thing that I've ever ever done.

MissIzzy, you are an angel!!! ^j^