Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Another New Lawyer for Casey - Dorothy Sims

Quote Originally Posted by cyberborg View Post
    The Defense mission for Sims seems to be attacking the air sample tests to eliminate them from trial (according to WFTV).

This is consistent with the recent discrediting of YM about the decomposition smell of the car trunk and whether it was human.

Among a million things the Defense must combat, they must distance ICA's car and trunk from anything to do with Caylee's demise to point to SODDI. Good luck with that!

I do think Sims may be dangerous in that she may act 'out of touch' and lull folks into a false sense of security before going for the jugular. As has been already stated, Sims does ruffle the feathers of medical experts testifying so she is effective.

I see the not having a TV statement as a ploy to throw up a smoke screen and provide cover, the same way JB plays a lot dumber than he really is.
    Ms. Simms may go for the jugular but I have my bets that Dr. G won't allow her to get very far. Dr. G speaks her mind and NO ONE can sway her from her convictions of science.
    This I really can't wait to see.
    AND, if she tries that on the Body Farm experts, I doubt she will get far there either.
    These people are professionals in every sense of the word and Ms Simms has her work cut out for her if she thinks she can one up any of them.
    IMO.

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to drip~drop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by drip~drop View Post
    Ms. Simms may go for the jugular but I have my bets that Dr. G won't allow her to get very far. Dr. G speaks her mind and NO ONE can sway her from her convictions of science.
    AND, if she tries that on the Body Farm experts, I doubt she will get far there either.
    These people are professionals in every sense of the word and Ms Simms has her work cut out for her if she thinks she can one up any of them.
    IMO.
    You're right. Those Body Farm guys are the smartest of the smart. I am so in awe of what they do.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RR0004 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by drip~drop View Post
    IMO.
    But I think her major attack is going to be more in the psych area and not so much attacking the autopsy report. I guess she might try to glance a few blows concerning the Dr G's inclusiveness as to the cause of death but I think her main thrust will come in the mitigating factors portion of the trial. But based on what I've read from her many bios I think she will challenge the state's initial psych evaluation. moo, only moo.
    The heart of the pure can see, but my eyes have never seen the unicorn . . .

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ExpectingUnicorns For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cyberborg View Post
    He is trying to expand his horizons from just ICA and HLN gave him a platform to do so (as a return favor for appearing).

The case is not particularly national newsworthy to spend so much time on that when they cut other segments down to nothing...

[I thought JVM was going to cover developments on the Susan Powell case... JVM seems to try to pack too much in and then drop a lot.]

I halfway expected JVM to declare the police were somehow addicted to arresting innocent mothers for prostitution. If she can't find someway to work a story so that it covers addiction or THE WAR ON WOMEN, then chances are it's gonna get cut, no matter how newsworthy.

"I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Velouria For This Useful Post:

Just got to thinking... and if it has been mentioned in this thread already...I missed it.

Wouldn't it be "EPIC" if, in the future, the State of Florida hired Dorothy Clay Sims as an expert to invalidate CA's disability rating and benefits ????????

10. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

http://plaintifftriallawyertips.com/...for-cross.aspx

Snips from a lecture Sims gave in early December in NOLA.

Research the internet for talks that aren't included in the CV or subpoena them because you may find these are the talks that show their bias, like talks to defense groups

Challenge him with questions using this phrase "What happens on a cellular level when... He or she will be usually unable to answer it.

Good stuff here. Rather interesting.

12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

http://www.doereport.com/article_crossexamining.php

DURING THE EXAMINATION:

Send a court reporter who:

Never leaves your client alone, no matter how long the exam takes (remember, some can last as long as 8 hours and the reporter needs to know this in advance).

Provides the transcript in digital format. This makes it easier to share with other attorneys and is excellent for creating questions for cross examination because word searching capabilities in a digital document speed up the process.

Never releases a copy of the transcript to the defense attorney.

Remembers that YOU hired the reporter, and the reporter answers to you. Some physicians have tried to throw my reporters out of the evaluation. They stay. Period.

Can't afford a court reporter? Send a tape recorder with your client(s) and make sure your client knows when to turn the tape over by loaning them a watch with an alarm preset to go off at the end of the tape.

DURING THE DEPOSITION

Bring a laptop with an air card. When the doctor fails to bring the articles he relied upon, claiming they exist, turn the computer around and tell him he is more than welcome to look them up on the internet. This works great in a video depo.

Bring a second laptop on which is loaded all prior depositions so prior testimony can be accessed with a word search function on your computer. This is much faster than tabbing hard copies.

The doctor claims to review the medical records. You are skeptical. Bring a plastic bag. At the conclusion of the deposition, seal the records in the plastic bag and advise the doctor you are giving them to the court reporter until your fingerprint expert can pick them up in the morning. Sit back and watch the fireworks.

The doctor claims he didn't recently alter the raw data and you know she/he did. Get the plastic bag out. Seal the document and advise opposing attorney you are having the ink dated at the lab of your choice. Some labs can tell you if ink is 2 years to 6 months old.

Point out the selective reporting that goes on in virtually every CME. High scales, such as scale 8 on the MMPI2 can indicate the presence of a head injury. Never have I ever had a defense doctor admit to this in a report.

Ask them if the plaintiff did well on the mental status exam. Most doctors administer the Folstein Mental Status Exam which is actually a screening device for Alzheimer's patients. However, most doctors don't score the test, fail to ask all the questions, and, more importantly, lie about the results. Ask the doctor if the patient answered the questions correctly. When the doctor says yes, present the doctor with the transcript that reflects many of the questions were answered incorrectly. Then file your Motion to Strike based on fraud.

The doctor testifies that he does 1/3 plaintiff work. Yeah, right. He/she then hands you a list of cases in which he has testified for the last several years but they do not identify if they are plaintiff or defense referral. Point out that he is hiding that information and it would only take a second or two to note on each case who referred it but in leaving that information out, you cannot address bias. Then ask the doctor to identify on the list each plaintiff referral. In every case in which I required the doctor to do this, he was only able to identify one or two percent of his referrals as plaintiff.

14. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

Here are some upcoming conferences Dorothy Clay-Sims & Dr. Freeman are presenting:

02/18/2011 - Defeating the Deceptive Defense Doctor with Dorothy Clay Sims

http://www.oajustice.org/index.cfm?s...Action=listAll

3/18/2011 - DR. CAUSATION & THE DME TERMINATOR
    http://www.washingtonjustice.org/WA/...e&pg=Causation

2/25-2/26/2011 - Advanced Litigating Traumatic Brain Injury Cases Seminar Faculty

http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/xbcr/...r_Brochure.pdf
    My posts are my opinion only. Praying for Justice for Caylee Marie!
    The Florida Bar summed up the problem regarding Mr. Baez.
    "His overall behavior, they wrote, showed "a total lack of respect for the rights of others and a total lack of respect for the legal system, which is absolutely inconsistent with the character and fitness qualities required of those seeking to be afforded the highest position of trust and confidence recognized by our system of law." (Thank you to TWA) Read their opinion here: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d...ps/sc95855.pdf

16. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to nums24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nums24 View Post
    Here are some upcoming conferences Dorothy Clay-Sims & Dr. Freeman are presenting:

02/18/2011 - Defeating the Deceptive Defense Doctor with Dorothy Clay Sims

http://www.oajustice.org/index.cfm?s...Action=listAll

3/18/2011 - DR. CAUSATION & THE DME TERMINATOR
    http://www.washingtonjustice.org/WA/...e&pg=Causation

2/25-2/26/2011 - Advanced Litigating Traumatic Brain Injury Cases Seminar Faculty

http://www.justice.org/cps/rde/xbcr/...r_Brochure.pdf
    Just an observation, but I don't think any of the above prepares her for verbal jousting with Dr. G. on cross-exam.
    We have enough youth. How about looking for a Fountain of Smart?

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Numbers For This Useful Post:

Is she still on this case? We have heard NADA from her nor seen her in a loooooooooong time.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aedrys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Numbers View Post
    Just an observation, but I don't think any of the above prepares her for verbal jousting with Dr. G. on cross-exam.
    Agree! she sounds more like a personal injury attorney and not really how much she has dealt with homicide

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sleutherontheside View Post
    http://plaintifftriallawyertips.com/...for-cross.aspx

Snips from a lecture Sims gave in early December in NOLA.

Research the internet for talks that aren't included in the CV or subpoena them because you may find these are the talks that show their bias, like talks to defense groups

Challenge him with questions using this phrase "What happens on a cellular level when... He or she will be usually unable to answer it.

Good stuff here. Rather interesting.
    She's certainly got tons of intellectually dishonest gimmicks. Too bad she can't be put on the stand and discredited.
    Justice for GEORGE!

24. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Horace Finklestein For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Horace Finklestein View Post
    She's certainly got tons of intellectually dishonest gimmicks. Too bad she can't be put on the stand and discredited.
    Amen.
    Do these super-lawyers ever stop to examine their consciences as to what they are trying to achieve?

26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ZsaZsa For This Useful Post:

An interesting tidbit about DCS..

http://legalblogwatch.typepad.com/le...rcing-exp.html

Snip
    Sims has reduced [medical expert costs] by hiring medical experts in India for a fraction of the price, and she makes the service available to other American lawyers through an Internet-based business called MD in a Box. The U.S. lawyers pay $90 an hour for the medical consulting. The process works through a real-time link to an Indian doctor by computer. Sims describes a typical case in which a U.S. orthopedic surgeon disputes her client's claims in an American courtroom.

"I have my computer with me, and my doctor in India is listening to the orthopedic surgeon the whole time, through a microphone plugged into my laptop," said Dorothy Clay Sims. "He is then sending me instant messages saying, "that is not true. It is actually such and such or so and so." And I look down at my screen and I will just say exactly what the doctor said from India."

28. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

Just classic......

http://ocalaw.com/resources.php

Our firm is asking for donations for used assistive devices such as canes, walkers, wheelchairs and/or braces so that they can be recycled to our own clients and/or their families

And.......I particularly"luv" the "let's train our plaintiffs" booklets....
    http://www.dorothyclaysims.com/docs/mommy.pdf

and

http://ocalaw.com/examples/diary.pdf

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sleutherontheside For This Useful Post:

Snip
    Sims has reduced [medical expert costs] by hiring medical experts in India for a fraction of the price, and she makes the service available to other American lawyers through an Internet-based business called MD in a Box. The U.S. lawyers pay $90 an hour for the medical consulting. The process works through a real-time link to an Indian doctor by computer. Sims describes a typical case in which a U.S. orthopedic surgeon disputes her client's claims in an American courtroom.

"I have my computer with me, and my doctor in India is listening to the orthopedic surgeon the whole time, through a microphone plugged into my laptop," said Dorothy Clay Sims. "He is then sending me instant messages saying, "that is not true. It is actually such and such or so and so." And I look down at my screen and I will just say exactly what the doctor said from India."
    That is hilarious. We already knew that JB was basically a ventriloquist dummy getting texts (likely from LKB) during proceedings to appear as if he knew what he was doing. Now I guess we can add another to that list. I can see the necessity of attorneys relying on expert testimony to make their case because they can't always be subject matter experts in scientific or other areas. But when they are being coached live, like some sort of Cyrano de Bergerac scenario, I think it crosses some kind of line to appear to know something you don't. JMO, but if you need an expert to refute somebody because their expertise is out of your purview, then swear them in and put them on the stand for gods' sakes. Or admit you are getting coached. Otherwise, it's like some kind of Karaoke Law.

Let me amend that. Maybe it's more like Milli Vanilli Law.
    "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" - Voltaire

Snip

Interesting since any doctor coming from another country would not be considered a "doctor" in the U.S. until he went through "residency" in the United States.

First, the physician must to take board exams and an English language test. A foreign-trained physician must go through a residency program. Residency positions
    Yet for doctors trained in other countries, fewer than 40 percent of those who apply for a US residency are accepted.

33. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Solace For This Useful Post:

SOTS - Hello there! Good to see you back. I missed your posts here at WS. You've been missing for quite some time.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TotallyObsessed For This Useful Post:

Our firm is asking for donations for used assistive devices such as canes, walkers, wheelchairs and/or braces so that they can be recycled to our own clients and/or their families

and

That kid's pamphlet is pathetic.

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

37. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

and

I wonder what she would of wrote for Caylee and her poor mom.

My mom didn't give a damn about me. I got in her way so I ended up as a bag of bones a swamp.

But hey that's OK, my mom had an excuse for killing me. Dot told my mom that she was a victim just like me.

I'm sorry, I just can't let Caylee go yet.

All opinions expressed by me on Websleuths are my very own thoughts, not yours, and are to stay on this website

39. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to ILikeToBendPages For This Useful Post:

On top of the beautiful Appalachian Mountains.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeToBendPages View Post
    I wonder what she would of wrote for Caylee and her poor mom.

My mom didn't give a damn about me. I got in her way so I ended up as a bag of bones a swamp.

But hey that's OK, my mom had an excuse for killing me. Dot told my mom that she was a victim just like me.

I'm sorry, I just can't let Caylee go yet.
    I can't either. Not yet....
    Don't murder in Kentucky! My thread here.

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthr...n+lisa+tackett

A proud happy people, we were here long before the white man came. Stalking along meadow paths, we were used to hunting every day. The rivers gave us fish, The woods even gave us deer and other wild game. Here upon this land, we built our homes, and raised our families. Love was free and natural, as we moved swiftly among the trees. This was a country, It was here that we lived for centuries. Oh I want peace with my soul again. Oh I, I want peace with my soul again. Everyday was new love,. Our village was filled with smiling faces.

All credit from the quote above, goes to Tom Bee, and XIT! The first Rock Native American band.

Thank you Tom!!

41. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tulessa For This Useful Post:

I'm not particularly bothered by the overseas-outsourced doc-in-the-box idea for attorneys who wish to inexpensively research general material (I am not to the point where I feel sorry for physicians in the labor force). But I really think it's disgusting that the attorney can circumvent the whole cross examination and vetting of credentials by simply repeating something a possibly-less-qualified expert says IN COURT. Any medical opinions offered in court (and it's still pretty creepy that many are simply hired guns) should be attributed and transparent so they can be open to accredited and reputable debate on the record and in front of a jury.
    "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices" - Voltaire

43. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to cecybeans For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    That kid's pamphlet is pathetic.
    I agree, the pamphlet is pathetic. I think that D Simms lives in the land of Sunshine and Lollipops and not in reality when it comes to human nature. She tends to measure others in her own value system as if they held the same value system themselves. It appears that she gives excuses for the Mother's behaviour toward the child. As in: Your Mother's in pain and therefore not responsible for neglecting you or treating you ugly. Which would make the child more sympathetic to the abusing and neglectful parent. There's a lot wrong with that pamphlet. It's not based on reality.
    Why can't they hear the children's voices?

45. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

That pamphlet is a feeble attempt to justify child abuse.

47. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to watcher9 For This Useful Post:

Snip

I can't imagine that this works well at all. Have you ever experienced attempted tech support from anyone in India?

49. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Camille For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast