ID ID - Wallace (Jacob's Gulch), WhtMale 679UMID, 60, Found On Hiking Trail, Jun'02

zinc

Reaction score
NamUs UP #5051
https://identifyus.org/cases/5051

The Doe Network: Case File 679UMID
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/679umid.html

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on June 12, 2002 in Jacobs Gulch, Wallace, Idaho
[From NamUs: found June 18, 2002]
Estimated Date of Death: June 2002

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 60 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: Average height and weight
[From NamUs: probably 5'10", 185 lb]
Distinguishing Characteristics: Grey hair with reddish highlights
[From NamUs: Red/auburn hair, balding; brown eyes]
Marks, Scars: Appendectomy scar.
Dentals: Wore both top and bottom dentures
Clothing: A grey, blue and black, long sleeved button-up shirt; Black Wrangler jeans with a black leather weave belt. Belt buckle was etched silver with a turquoise stone in the middle. Black "Athletic Works" Velcro closure shoes, size 8W- new in appearance; white underwear and white socks. Attached to the belt was a black nylon bottle carrier containing a partial bottle of Diet Pepsi. On his left wrist, he wore a gold Seiko brand watch. He also wore a black nylon shoulder holster with an empty, double magazine pouch. Nearby was a black jacket, "Members Only", size Medium, with a roll of red and white "Star Brite" mints in the pocket. Next to the jacket was a black duffel bag, "Rome" brand, containing a heavy brown leather jacket with a Navajo design, size medium; Kleenex / napkins, sanitizer wipes from Service Master, one cigarette, and more mints. A pair of glasses were found near the man's foot. He had on his person a black fold up knife with the words "stainless steel"; a full 9mm magazine in a zip-lock bag; a partial pack of Doral non filter cigarettes; a pair of silver scissors; a black/yellow lighter, seven dollars in cash and miscellaneous change.
Other: Wore expensive, unique prescription, no line bifocal eyeglasses for an astigmatism in his right eye. The prescription was as follows: Right eye / -5.75-1.50 by 8 Plus 1.50 add. Left eye: /Plano-1.50 by 69 Plus 200 Add. The glasses were sold only in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington State.
Fingerprints: Available

Case History
On June 12th, 2002, the body of the victim was found on a walking trail up Jacobs Gulch. He had died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the right side of his head. The gun, recovered from beneath the body, was a 9mm semiautomatic Smith & Wesson Model 915. He was well dressed, well nourished and did not appear to be a transient type person.
Fingerprint comparisons against missing men from several surrounding states produced no leads.
The gun used was traced to a man who had sold the gun in Houston, Texas in 1996. He has since destroyed the records of that sale.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Shoshone County Sheriff's Office
Undersheriff Mitch Alexander
208-556-1114
or Fax: 208 753 8851

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 20020995

How can someone commit suicide and no one knows he is missing? This is so tragic. LE did a great job of describing his clothing. I have tried looking up a few of the items on the internet.
The Members Only jacket was popular back in the 1980's. The Athletic Works shoes are a Walmart brand.I somehow feel this man was someone who had been successful (Seiko watch, eyeglasses) and then something terrible happened.
The report doesn't mention any type of vehicle. Was this an area that was close to a town within walking distance?
[/B]

I wonder how a man with such unique glasses cannot be identified?

they know they were sold in only three states - Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. I would think a few inquiries to optometrists and opticians should narrow the search considerably.

he is still listed at Namus and no rule outs were there.

there is now one official rule-out at Namus:

Michael Allan 1954 Florida

even forgetting the glasses there can't be more than a handful of red-headed, brown (or hazel) eyed men with both full dentures and an appendectomy scar.

I can't find anyone close to a match out there.

:bump: There is a photo of the glasses on the Doe Network.
679UMID1.jpg

They don't look that unusual to me, as far as men's eyeglasses go, but I guess I could be wrong. Maybe the prescription itself was unusual?

I am assuming there are two issues with the glasses. one a very unusual prescription (the details of which would not be apparent to the general public). the second I am assuming has to do with the frames or something that leads them to conclude the glasses were sold in only 3 states.

Size 8 shoes... pretty small for a man, especially a 5'10" man.

I am glad to see this thread. Iworked about 6 months investigating a possible match to this UID and almost two years ago I sent the file to any agency remotely involved with either the missing person or the UID. I haveb een doggin' them since and no one wants to comment. "Were working on it". Two years? I believe there is much more to this than a simple suicide based on my research. The missing person I submitted has a scar on his chest which is as described could be indicitive of heart surgery. There is no mention of that on the UID.

One thing interesting is that there was a sketch of the uid thay is not on some of the usual sites I searched. Also some of Mr. Nigra's photos show him with graying in the front but his report does not mention. I have never worked a case as weird. There is just so much that does not add up.

He also has connections in Texas )where the gun ws traced to). He is, was a businessman in CA which woud have taken him to Idaho and to WA and Texas. That is about all I will put out, but I do not believe this to be a suicide.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/nigra_james.html

Note the R eye on Niga's photo. It is magnified by the lense.

Here is a photo of the sketh of the UID.The one on the right is James Nigra

Attachments

• ID.UID.2002p9891931.jpg
    ID.UID.2002p9891931.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 93
  • Missing.nigra_james.jpg
    Missing.nigra_james.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 50
I made a new contact for this case. Two years is long enough to "work on it". I feel confident it is being taken care of.

I am interested in seeing other possibles here.

I am glad to see this thread. Iworked about 6 months investigating a possible match to this UID and almost two years ago I sent the file to any agency remotely involved with either the missing person or the UID. I haveb een doggin' them since and no one wants to comment. "Were working on it". Two years? I believe there is much more to this than a simple suicide based on my research. The missing person I submitted has a scar on his chest which is as described could be indicitive of heart surgery. There is no mention of that on the UID.

One thing interesting is that there was a sketch of the uid thay is not on some of the usual sites I searched. Also some of Mr. Nigra's photos show him with graying in the front but his report does not mention. I have never worked a case as weird. There is just so much that does not add up.

He also has connections in Texas )where the gun ws traced to). He is, was a businessman in CA which woud have taken him to Idaho and to WA and Texas. That is about all I will put out, but I do not believe this to be a suicide.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/n/nigra_james.html

Note the R eye on Niga's photo. It is magnified by the lense.

I think you may be on to something with Mr. Nigra. One of the problems is that Mr. Nigra is not listed in NAMUS. If you have made contact with someone on this case, ask them to enter him in NAMUS. Then they will have to find someone who can provide DNA for a match.

I don't know about this one. they made a note that the UID had freckles so I doubt they would have missed an 8 inch scar on his chest (unless the person reporting the 8 inch scar on Nigra's chest was confusing that with an appendectomy scar).

I think you may be on to something with Mr. Nigra. One of the problems is that Mr. Nigra is not listed in NAMUS. If you have made contact with someone on this case, ask them to enter him in NAMUS. Then they will have to find someone who can provide DNA for a match.
Thanks carmac,
James Chester Nigra is now in NamUS and a good UID contact.

I don't know about this one. they made a note that the UID had freckles so I doubt they would have missed an 8 inch scar on his chest (unless the person reporting the 8 inch scar on Nigra's chest was confusing that with an appendectomy scar).
I don't believe for one minute that all of the police reports with little or no relevant information is the doing of the police officer. He was reported as wearing a wedding ring but no one bothered to say he wears glasses or certain cloths were missing from his closet which might help determine what he was wearing? It wouldn't surprise me if there were no scars or marks listed. Once sure way to keep a person missing is give false identifying info. Not accusing...just saying........
I found many conflicting identifiers for Nigra. Some say auburn hair with different height and weight. Although the research speaks volumes, it will be the DNA for this one.

How about this guy!!!

I stumbled across his Charley Page while looking for a different John Doe. I immediately thought of this Idaho John Doe.

Raymond Edward Shore

shore_raymond.jpg
679UMID.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/shore_raymond.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1102/0

There's a 15-year time-lag. But:

* His height (5'11") is within an inch
* He would have been 73 at the time of the John Doe's death (John Doe was estimated to be 60).
* He was suicidal.
* He had an abdominal scar from a hernia operation. The John Doe had an "appendectomy scar"

There's no mention of dentures. But if he didn't have them at the time of his disappearance, there was plenty of time during the 15-years to lose his teeth and replace them with dentures.

ETA:
Submitted by e-mail to Clyde Knight and Janet Franson

How about this guy!!!

I stumbled across his Charley Page while looking for a different John Doe. I immediately thought of this Idaho John Doe.

Raymond Edward Shore

shore_raymond.jpg
679UMID.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/shore_raymond.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1102/0

There's a 15-year time-lag. But:

* His height (5'11") is within an inch
* He would have been 73 at the time of the John Doe's death (John Doe was estimated to be 60).
* He was suicidal.
* He had an abdominal scar from a hernia operation. The John Doe had an "appendectomy scar"

There's no mention of dentures. But if he didn't have them at the time of his disappearance, there was plenty of time during the 15-years to lose his teeth and replace them with dentures.

ETA:
Submitted by e-mail to Clyde Knight and Janet Franson

I've looked at Raymond Shore's page on NamUs quite a few times, thinking he looks so familiar; I think this is him!

The sketch sure looks like him, but his face might be too square, assuming the sketch is accurate.

The UID is dressed like an Idaho/Wyoming/Montana guy -- exact same clothes my father used to wear on an average day. Right down to the brand of shoes, which are popular with older men who have difficulty with shoelaces. That makes me think he might be toward the older end of the age range.

The stuff in the duffle -- mints, wipes, a heavy jacket -- sounds like the kind of thing somebody who had been traveling might have with them. Not enough for an overnight trip, but maybe a few hours by bus or plane. The drink holster with the Diet Pepsi makes me think he had walked for some distance, and was prepared to walk for some distance, though again not an overnight hike or anything.

Odd: I went to map the location where he was found, and the only Jacobs Gulch I could find isn't in Wallace, ID (B on the map). It's 15 miles up the road, in Kellogg. Jacobs Gulch Road (it has several other names too) runs from I-90 to the Shoshone County High School (A on the map). There appears to be a large undeveloped and unincorporated area around it that fits the NaMus description of "a wooded area north of I-90." Of course most of Idaho could be described that way :) There are several gulches north of Wallace that don't have names on the map; any of them could be called Jacobs Gulch.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...8020PdgUzFjq2KVUxf4Ew&oq=wall&mra=pr&t=m&z=11

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OwlEyes
Back