The Fernies

Nehemiah

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Whatever happened to Barbara Fernie?

According to Linda Arndt's deposition, she stated that she felt Barb Fernie had "stalked" her. It was also noted that Barb was Patsy's best friend at the time of the murder.

What do we know about Mrs. Fernie?

Imo

Nehemiah said:
Whatever happened to Barbara Fernie?

According to Linda Arndt's deposition, she stated that she felt Barb Fernie had "stalked" her. It was also noted that Barb was Patsy's best friend at the time of the murder.

What do we know about Mrs. Fernie?

Imo

From what I can remember, Barbara Fernie cooled off toward the Ramseys not long after the murder, but John Fernie continued to be a friend.

JMO

I was reading Arndt's "deposition" on line, and found it interesting that Arndt felt that BF had stalked her. Also, Arndt built a relationship with her for the sole reason of finding out more about Patsy. According to the "depo", BF never expressed any comments that alluded to John and/or Patsy being responsible for the murder. Keep in mind, that this "depo" was loosely transcribed by Susan Bennett (but I read it on ACR's site). There could have been things conveniently left out. Anyway, BF seemed to be a key player in the beginning, and as you say BlueCrab, she faded slowly out of the picture. I just wonder about her today. I was hoping that someone here knew more.

Are you back long term, now BlueCrab?

Imo

Nehemiah said:
Are you back long term, now BlueCrab?

Not exactly. You know how the saying goes, "I owe, I owe, so it's off to work I go".

Came back in time to get pummeled by Category 4 Himmicane Charley. It went right through my community, the eye of it making landfall just 20 miles to the north with sustained winds of 145 MPH and gusts to 180 MPH. My house is relatively okay but I lost four trees. We evacuated to a shelter at the last minute. Almost lost a 41' ketch moored at my dock. It was being held by just one last line. Been without electricity for two days. Everyone is okay.

I'll be back for about two weeks to clean up the storm mess around here.

JMO

Oh goodness! I forgot that you were in that area. Lots of devastation, I'm sure. We are prone to have tornadoes, here, so I know what these things can do. Glad you and yours are safe.

Nehemiah said:
Oh goodness! I forgot that you were in that area. Lots of devastation, I'm sure. We are prone to have tornadoes, here, so I know what these things can do. Glad you and yours are safe.

Thanks Nehemiah,

Not many deaths, but almost every house has sustained at least minor damage. Some houses are gone. No electric and no gasoline are among the problems. I spent the day cutting up trees on my property. (Neh, I don't have any "yours". I live here with my five grandchildren.) Take care.

BC

Wow, Bluecrab. Good luck with it all. When the news has gone on to other stories, the people of Florida will still be cleaning up and struggling to rebuild. It's devastating. Hope your grandchildren are old enough to help out.

I'm thankful your still with us BC...

Barbara Fernie was kind of confused by the observations she made of Patsy shortly after JB's death. Barbara felt that she was mourning more than Patsy and that bothered her very much.

Look at the pictures of the church memorial which shows Barbara standing next to Patsy and see who looks more despondent.

I can't imagine Patsy not mourning - overcome with grief - no matter what her involvement, if any.

She lost her daughter whom she treasured so much.

The only "non-mourning" incident would be pre-meditated - and I don't believe that at all.

TLynn said:
I can't imagine Patsy not mourning - overcome with grief - no matter what her involvement, if any.

She lost her daughter whom she treasured so much.

The only "non-mourning" incident would be pre-meditated - and I don't believe that at all.

Then you need to read up on sociopaths, psychopaths, and pathological narcissism. The common theme there is LACK OF EMPATHY.

The term premeditated is not quite applicable here. She was subject to compulsive thoughts, thoughts she could not avoid. I doubt that she pursued thoughts of killing JonBenet but rather she could not avoid them.

She may have treasured her daughter but she also crossed identity boundaries and included JonBenet's identity in her own. Patsy treasured JonBenet because the child was an object that carried the projection of a large part of Patsy's own identity. Patsy has to act the mourner because she has no empathy for anyone other than herself. She'll cry buckets at her own losses but will have to act the part when confronted with another's loss.

Patsy took JonBenet's life INTO her own. The girl is now an angel, not in heaven but rather in Patsy's fantasy. This is textbook stuff, read it; psychopathy, sociopathy, narcissism, borderline, READ IT!

I think Patsy mourned that day, but mostly she was afraid her arrest would be imminent. She probably still thinks that. Good.

BrotherMoon said:
Then you need to read up on sociopaths, psychopaths, and pathological narcissism. The common theme there is LACK OF EMPATHY.

The term premeditated is not quite applicable here. She was subject to compulsive thoughts, thoughts she could not avoid. I doubt that she pursued thoughts of killing JonBenet but rather she could not avoid them.

She may have treasured her daughter but she also crossed identity boundaries and included JonBenet's identity in her own. Patsy treasured JonBenet because the child was an object that carried the projection of a large part of Patsy's own identity. Patsy has to act the mourner because she has no empathy for anyone other than herself. She'll cry buckets at her own losses but will have to act the part when confronted with another's loss.

Patsy took JonBenet's life INTO her own. The girl is now an angel, not in heaven but rather in Patsy's fantasy. This is textbook stuff, read it; psychopathy, sociopathy, narcissism, borderline, READ IT!

All who read these words should heed BrotherMoon, because that is the essence of a parent-did-it scenario; their own children are not living humans to the parent, but dolls or pets, to be discarded when a pressing need presents itself to the selfish parent. Look at Patsy's parenting style, and you can see how she never truly served as JonBenet's mother. She was capable of being JonBenet's babysitter (as a paid and impersonal employee could be), and her driver (as an impersonal chauffeur could be), and her pageant coach, and her teacher, but I dare any of the most ardent Ramsey defenders to give us examples of how Patsy spent time with JonBenet as her mother, as someone who simply loved her own daughter and wanted to bond with her and spend time with her doing nothing in particular. Has anyone ever heard that Patsy and JonBenet would spend time on the floor coloring in JonBenet's coloring books? Has anyone ever heard that Patsy and JonBenet would spend time making each other laugh because they liked hearing laughter? Is there so much as one person out there who ever witnessed Patsy tickling her daughter? No, you never hear these stories. And why? As BrotherMoon says, it is because Patsy lacks empathy. She knew so well how to suffer during her own cancer, but when JonBenet was sick, has Patsy said one word about how miserable it made her as a mother to see JonBenet so ill so often and how it broke her heart to have to take JonBenet to Beuf so many times? No, we can see for herself. Patsy describes taking JonBenet to Beuf the way a person would describe taking a car that breaks down often to the car mechanic. No wonder Patsy finds it odd that we forum members seem to care more about those doctor visits than she herself did.

Yes, BrotherMoon has the right perspective, in my opinion.

I agree with both Brothermoon and why-nutt...Patsy looked upon JonBenet as an object rather than a real human being with emotions.

Patsy has no sense of self. She treated JonBenet as an object and when the object was no use to her no more...or the object simply disappeared...then Patsy had no clue as how to feel towards the loss of her daughter.

A typical Borderline Personality Disorder with Narcissistic features.

IMO

Nehemiah said:
What's happened to the Fernies?

They still live in Boulder in the same house they were living in at the time of JonBenet's murder. Just this past May, they received a permit from Boulder to make small modifications to their home's deck. Barbara has been busy. In 2002, she won an elected position with the Episcopal Diocese of Colorado. Last year, Barbara had a piece of artwork highlighted at a major Episcopal conference. She submitted a testimonial to an event planner's web page, thanking the planner for putting together a 25th anniversary party for her and her husband John, a party for 70 people. She and John have given time and money to the Family Learning Center in Boulder, the FLC being an organization devoted to helping low-income families with their educational, financial, and medical issues. John Fernie, as nearly as I have been able to find out, is still working as a vice-president of a real-estate development company called McStain Enterprises.

May I suggest some reading materials, "The Criminal Mind"and "Without Conscience", these two are fairly current and give wonderful insight into the workings of a truly sociopathic/psychopathic personality. You may then reconsider your take on Patsy.
You would like commentaries on tickles, and floor play time? Who would you like to outline these for you ? Patsy has been described by family,friends,associates, teachers, neighbors, and on and on as being an attentive caring parent. Where did this information arise that Patsy was cold and sociopathic? Just who ever said this about her?

Thanks, Why Nutt. Do you know if they continue to be friends with the Rs, or have any dealings with them at all?

sissi said:
Where did this information arise that Patsy was cold and sociopathic?

Boulder, Colorado. Dec. 26, 1996. The body of her dead daughter was found in Patsy's home. There was a note clearly written by Patsy. No evidence of any involvement other than the parents.

sissi said:
Just who ever said this about her?

I did.

Gee,that's a nice honest answer!
BrotherMoon, it occurred to me, early on ,after reading Steve's book that there were clearly sociopathic behaviors involved and these could be ascribed to LE.

sissi said:
Gee,that's a nice honest answer!
BrotherMoon, it occurred to me, early on ,after reading Steve's book that there were clearly sociopathic behaviors involved and these could be ascribed to LE.

You're really Johnnie Cochran, aren't you?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back