880 users online (122 members and 758 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OR - Newborn David Hickman dies as parents rely on faith healing, Sept 2009

Oh, how I wish I didn't have to post this. The Followers of Christ of Oregon City, OR are still making news. This time a couple failed to seek treatment for a premature baby boy:

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-cit...nfant_son.html

Oregon City couple plead not guilty in faith-healing death of their infant son

"Two members of a church that preaches faith-healing pleaded not guilty Monday to manslaughter charges for failing to provide medical care to their infant son, who died shortly after his premature birth.

Attorneys for Dale R. Hickman and Shannon M. Hickman entered the pleas...."

and

"....The Hickmans' son was born in September 2009, about six weeks premature. He weighed 3 pounds, 5 ounces and lived nine hours. No one with medical training attended the birth, and no one called a doctor or ambulance. An autopsy determined the infant died of staph pneumonia and complications from a premature birth, including underdeveloped lungs...."

and

"....The death of the Hickman baby was the third faith-healing fatality involving children from the church in the past two and a half years.

more at link

I guess I'll just start a new thread for each child who dies. Isn't that a tragic sentence to write?

It is tragic Missizzy and I hope the state of Oregon takes notice and action to assure nothing else will happen! Religious freedom, does not stand for allowing murder or manslaughter, to the best of my knowledge.

Are these people so blind that they cannot see God has provided Doctors and Hospitals where His healing does occur in the majority of cases...
    So very, very sad.

I've been doing some research into the Followers of Christ for some time. I've lived in Oregon for 17 years this week. It seems that not a year has gone by without a child's death. While I firmly uphold an adult's right to choose medicine or not, I don't believe that we can make that decision for a child, if it puts them in grave danger.

One thing which has surprised me is that this group does not seem to put much faith in the way of natural or holistic medicines either. It seems that they rely purely on prayer. From an earlier article:

http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-p...t-trial-jan-11

"If given a choice to take a child to a doctor, or to spread olive oil on them and pray, members of the Followers of Christ Church in Oregon City, Oregon, choose the latter. The church is nothing but a cult of Christian mysticism that allows children to die."

It rained for days & the river was rising. Neighbors asked the old crumudgeon to ride with them as they fled. The old guy said " No, God will take care of me."

The water level rose & flooded the streets. Rescuers came by in a boat but again the old man refused to leave, saying " God will take care of me."

As the flood waters rose even higher, the old man was forced onto his roof. A helicopter hovered overhead & dropped a harness but again the old man said. "No, God will take care of me."

The water went above the roof & the guy drowned. He awakened in Heaven & asked God why he had forsaken him in his time of need. God replied, " I came for you 3 times!"

noZme--Thank you. That is priceless. How I wish these families would recognize that their babies and children do not have to die these terrible deaths. I am the proud parent of 6 children who were preemies. Yes, many of them have challenges. Each is a treasure, however. I wouldn't have these treasures if it weren't for the hard work and incredible gifts of doctors, technicians, nurses, and volunteers who nurtured my babies until they came to me.

My prayers go out to this little boy and to the families so that they can open their hearts. You are so right. God tried.

kileyizzle is offline ♥ we have but two lives. The life we learn with, & the life after that ♥
    *sigh*

I get the whole faith for the healing thing i do - however this is just IMO blatant neglect on that poor child's life.

Use some common sense. Heavenly father blessed us with medicine for a reason

As difficult as it is to think about this, if you believe that God has commanded that you live a certain way and raise your children in a certain way, and if you believe that God decides the fate of all things, it isn't such a big step to prefer that your children die and be with God rather than that they live while you and they be lost to God.

Think of Abraham and Isaac. The angel of the Lord stays Abraham's hand at the last minute. But had God allowed Isaac to be slain by His orders, Abraham as a righteous man would have been expected to praise God's name or at least accept God's decision. Job praised God. When "God's laws" and "common sense" clash, if you are part of a religious cult, it just becomes further proof to you that the world's "common sense" belongs to evil.

I don't really know where I'm going with this — the needless loss of children is terribly sad, but I guess if I step into the shoes of a religious group member for a moment, I can see why it happens.

Can anyone speak to the fact that this little one died of staph pneumonia. I'm just wondering from a medical standpoint, how complicated the intervention and care for this infant would have been. He passed only 9 hours after his birth. What sorts of procedures could have been done to save his life?

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Can anyone speak to the fact that this little one died of staph pneumonia. I'm just wondering from a medical standpoint, how complicated the intervention and care for this infant would have been. He passed only 9 hours after his birth. What sorts of procedures could have been done to save his life?
    I would guess that the reason this little one was born too early was due to an infection, which would explain the staph pneumonia. Possibly, the amniotic sac had ruptured prematurely and exposed the baby to the bacteria, or possibly the infection was already inside the uterus and caused the premature rupture and birth. Whether this child would have lived with appropriate medical care is questionable, if the baby was already infected in utero. Staph is a truly devastating bacteria if it turns into an infection. Frankly, the mother is lucky she didn't become septic herself.

My gripe about these sects is actually with Protestants and their Bibles. Generations after the Reformation, the protestants decided to strip the Bible of several Old Testament books. Among them is a wisdom book, called Sirach. Read Sirach chapter 38, half the chapter is devoted to respecting the high calling of the physician, including this little gem: "He who is a sinner toward his Maker will be defiant toward the doctor."

If this chapter remained in all Bibles, it would be clear to any Christian that God has provided physicians for our good, and proper care should be sought in time of need.

mom2six--Thank you, that was my exact take on things. I'm assuming that there was either a premature rupture of the sac or the mother suffered a serious infection. Either way, a crisis was at hand. If the family had sought medical care, I believe that the mother's and baby's health might both have been preserved. Presumably, the mother is doing well but she could have died. It's highly possible that she might now be infertile. I agree, staph is a nasty bug.

BTW, my aunt used to quote that verse!!

I'm well aware of the book you site and agree whole-heartedly. There is just no reason for the two approaches to healing to not go hand in hand.

This happened in my own family 50 years ago.
    My great aunt and uncle belonged to some church (cult) like this in Kentucky.
    They prayed over a son for days...........he just had simple pneumonia.
    No medicine, no doctor! Just church (cult) help.
    My grandparents had to kidnap and reprogram them to get them out of these beliefs.

I was a little kid and remember the whole mess.
    Yes cults..............
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nati...ing-death.html

convicted of 2nd degree manslaughter

I've always known God to heal in conjunction with modern medicine, not without it.

We have two separate threads about these deaths. I'll see if the mods can merge them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast