761 users online (182 members and 579 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What does a 'de facto suspect' imply in this case?

In addition, her divorce attorney Peter Bunch acknowledged in court papers filed for Horman this week that she is a 'de facto suspect" at the center of a police investigation.<snipped>

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/a...e7f9abe66.html

Help me with my lack of legalese please! What does this imply? Is Terri a POI now? A suspect in Kyron's disappearance? What?

OMGoodness, I can't wait to see what this means!

ETA: I just grabbed this from Wikipedia:

De facto is a Latin expression that means "by [the] fact". In law, it is meant to mean "in practice but not necessarily ordained by law" or "in practice or actuality, but without being officially established".

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_facto[/ame]

googled de facto - from wiki:

In law, it is meant to mean "in practice but not necessarily ordained by law" or "in practice or actuality, but without being officially established"

"existing in fact, whether legally recognized or not" I looked it up when her attorney made that statemnt.

Gotta luv it, when her own attorney says it.

Terri hasn't be charged with a crime. Yet her abatement proceeding filing is predicated on her not having to testify in the family court matters because of the criminal matter.

So far there is no criminal matter. There is an investigation. But no charges. I think Bunch has to convince the court that while Terri hasn't been charged, in reality she is a suspect in order for this Abatement motion to carry the weight of law he desires it to.
    Synonyms in Thesaurus.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/thesa...0&t=1283279411

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    In addition, her divorce attorney Peter Bunch acknowledged in court papers filed for Horman this week that she is a 'de facto suspect" at the center of a police investigation.<snipped>

http://theworldlink.com/news/local/a...e7f9abe66.html

Help me with my lack of legalese please! What does this imply? Is Terri a POI now? A suspect in Kyron's disappearance? What?
    It means, "LE has not PUBLICLY said my client is a suspect, but we all know they are just covering their a**es and PRIVATELY have focused in on her like a laser."

ETA: "De facto" just means "in fact"--i.e., she hasn't been NAMED as a suspect, but "in fact" she is one.

"It would seem to me that June 16, 2008 was the last time that the victim was viewed by her grandparents. It became quite evident that from the OS of the Defense that the 16th was a date of great importance and that a so called time line of activities dealing with CA, LA, GA and ICA on the 16th and what, if any, activities took place on the 15th, 16th and 17th of June on 24 hour cycles would have been, at least, of a minimal requirement of review. I take it at some point you had a computer expert look at that data?" HHJP, 6/21/11
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...139910&page=94

So would it be in best interests of the divorce and those issues to be named a suspect? Then she can use that in court to prove her case? It seems like it's going to be hard for her to say this when she hasn't been charged with a crime yet. And I know it's been all over the news, but the court goes with law, not what's on television. If she hasn't been charged, then her reasoning for the abatement doesn't hold water legally.

Interesting definition there, AZlawyer. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by AZlawyer View Post
    It means, "LE has not PUBLICLY said my client is a suspect, but we all know they are just covering their a**es and PRIVATELY have focused in on her like a laser."

ETA: "De facto" just means "in fact"--i.e., she hasn't been NAMED as a suspect, but "in fact" she is one.
    That's what I thought it probably meant! Love the way you phrased it! LOL

interesting to say the least........
    "Being right is NOT a bulletproof vest."

Quote Originally Posted by 5x5yo View Post
    interesting to say the least........
    Welcome to WS!! Love yer avi!
    "Until you do right by me, everything you think about is gonna crumble... until you do right by me, everything you think about is gonna fail."

I thought de facto meant when two people live together for a time, but are not legally married. Although i think depending on how long a couple has been together, they are recognised as common law husband and wife?

Quote Originally Posted by angelswatchoverthem View Post
    I thought de facto meant when two people live together for a time, but are not legally married. Although i think depending on how long a couple has been together, they are recognised as common law husband and wife?
    De Facto is not restricted to any one thing. I am de facto raising Princess PeePee since she lives here, even if her mom has her sleep at her house at nights. I am de facto the person who watches the park in the afternoons because Princess PeePee plays there. I am de facto crazy because Princess PeePee can make me that way

De facto really just means what AZLawyer said: in fact. Might not be any official word that Terri is a suspect, but there is plenty to point to her IN FACT being a suspect.

To me, in this case, "de facto" means they ain't got no-one else for the rap...so they'll stick it to her, although not really. But kinda, but only pretend. Until they find someone else. If they do. But if not, then only a little bit of a suspect.

Or something like that.

BTW, where's Kyron?

Best-
    Herding Cats

PS: I used "BTW" because it really feels like where Kyron is, is an aside or an afterthought...

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by gibby207 View Post
    Welcome to WS!! Love yer avi!
    very late reply(life kinda bombarded me) but thankyou. One of my favorite Farley sketches....
    "Being right is NOT a bulletproof vest."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast