CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycee

Reaction score
Website
www.foruminternationaltalk.com
Police investigators are holding out hope that a 42-year-old Orangeville woman is still alive, even though blood has been found splattered in her car and home.

“Hopefully we will find her safe and sound,” OPP Const. Jonathan Beckett said this afternoon.

Sonia Varaschin, 42, a former nurse at the hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, was last seen on Sunday evening. Her family members reported her missing to local police.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...oman-may-be-linked-to-bloody-crime-scene?bn=1

Ontario Provincial Police Const. Jonathan Beckett told reporters investigators "will leave no stone unturned" in their search for 42-year-old Sonia Varaschin, who last "had contact" with her family Sunday night.

Cops were tipped off to trouble when someone complained about a suspicious vehicle parked in an alley near Broadway St. in downtown Orangeville at about 10 a.m. on Monday.

Varaschin's white Toyota Corolla was found with blood on it, Beckett said.

When police went to Varaschin's Spring St. home, they found more blood.

Still, Beckett wouldn't "speculate" that Varaschin was met with foul play.

Blood could be seen on the front steps to the home Tuesday.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/toro...ews/torontoandgta/2010/08/31/pf-15194301.html

dynamic_resize

Sonia Varaschin, 42, was last seen Sunday night, Aug. 29, 2010, hours before some neighbours reported hearing screams and screeching tires. On Monday, Aug. 30, Varaschin's vehicle was found with "what appeared to be blood on it," according to Ontario Provincial Police. Blood was also found at her home. Photo supplied by OPP

dynamic_resize

Police behind a municipal building in downtown Orangeville, Ontario, on Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010, near the scene where police found a car belonging to missing woman Sonia Varaschin.

dynamic_resize

What appears to be blood is seen on the steps of the home of missing woman Sonia Varaschin in Orangeville, Ontario on Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010.

dynamic_resize

The home of missing woman Sonia Varaschin in Orangeville, Ontario, on Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010

dynamic_resize

Alexandra Park behind a municipal building in downtown Orangeville, Ontario on Tuesday, Aug. 31, 2010, near the scene where police found a car belonging to missing woman Sonia Varaschin.

One of my sons only lives a few blocks from where this happened
but he don't know any more than we do on WS

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2010/08/31/15195366.html

[snipped...] Asked if police are dealing with a murder investigation, he said, "No, it's a missing persons investigation and our primary focus right now is to find Sonia."

Neighbours on Varaschin's quiet townhouse-lined street said she has no kids, lives alone and sometimes a boyfriend drops by.

Asked if investigators have spoken with her boyfriend, Beckett said he wasn't aware she had one. He wouldn't comment on her personal life.

"We'll be leaving no stone unturned in an effort to find Sonia," Beckett said, pointing to the joint investigation with Orangeville police. "Hopefully we find her safe and sound and we can reunite her with her family."

47956_128128550567832_100001120622920_151425_6344563_n.jpg

Alexandra Park, behind Town Hall in Orangeville, was taped off by police​

45736_128128943901126_100001120622920_151426_3513133_n.jpg

Helicopters searched the area surrounding the crime scene.​

44823_128129277234426_100001120622920_151429_26906_n.jpg

This vehicle, showing what appears to be blood smears, has now been removed from the crime scene.​

45978_128129590567728_100001120622920_151431_1445768_n.jpg

Two sites in downtown Orangeville were secured by police on Monday afternoon.​

45739_128129853901035_100001120622920_151433_4436468_n.jpg

Police searched this white, four-door Toyota​

http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/867500--crime-scene-in-downtown-orangeville

Photo #1 in the gallery with this article shows the back of her car, with the blood smears on it and the trunk and doors open.

It is difficult to see how this can have a good outcome. :(

I completely agree Snoopster, with the blood at two locations, it doesn't sound good. The blood on the back of the car however, looks to me like a hand smear, so it's hard to say how much blood their actually was.

I wonder if LE have started their door-to-door canvas and if they have any information on the boyfriend that one of the neighbours mentions in the article.

I do hope LE finds her safe.

Just got a CP 24 news alert saying the OPP believe that S Varaschin is a victim of foul play. I can't find the actual article on their website yet, though when it appears I'll be sure to post the link. I would think if they are looking for her in ravines, etc., they no longer believe she's alive. I hope I'm wrong however, and that she is alive.

Just got a CP 24 news alert saying the OPP believe that S Varaschin is a victim of foul play. I can't find the actual article on their website yet, though when it appears I'll be sure to post the link. I would think if they are looking for her in ravines, etc., they no longer believe she's alive. I hope I'm wrong however, and that she is alive.

Found the link:

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100901/100901_sonia_missing/20100901/?hub=CP24Home

Here is another link:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/toro...ews/torontoandgta/2010/08/31/pf-15199721.html

CP 24 is reporting that LE will be holding a press conference today, to update the media on the situation. CP 24 will be live with the presser.

www.cp24.com

Press conference is scheduled for 3:00 PM

UPDATE: According to a midday news release from Caledon OPP, officials are now willing to concede foul play is involved with the disappearance of Sonia Varaschin. A press conference is set for 3 p.m. today at Orangeville police headquarters.

Foul play suspected in woman's disappearance

600_missing_100901.jpg

Ontario police probing the suspicious disappearance of a woman are zeroing in on a vehicle that was spotted close to where her blood-stained car was found this week.

On Wednesday, officers said that foul play is suspected in the case of Sonia Varaschin, who failed to show up for work at a pharmaceutical company in nearby Mississauga on Monday.

That morning, police discovered her blood-spattered Toyota Corolla in an alley in Orangeville. Then, less than a half kilometre away, police found blood on the front steps, front door and inside the townhouse where she lived.

Surveillance images show that a minivan was in the area of where the Corolla was discovered, and police believe that the driver of the van may have information about the case.​

Video surveillance of van at link in video​

Does anyone have any theories on this? Did she know the perp or was acquainted with them, Was this just random?

I think there could possibly be two perps. One driving her car and one driving the get away vehicle. Or one perp that parked their vehicle near where her car was abandoned and they walked to her home. Then got back in their vehicle after abandoning hers.

From all the reports it sounds like she put up one heck of a struggle. There must have been a lot of blood or other evidence in the home and car for LE to believe after forensics, that she met with foul play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer