Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 4158DMKY

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/4158dmky.html

Reuben Curtis Kinney
Missing since September 3, 1975 from Vanceburg, Lewis County, Kentucky
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: April 10, 1913
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 62 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 72"; 140 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Grey hair; hazel eyes.
•Marks, Scars: Broken leg from childhood that was not seen by medical personnel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Reuben Kinney was last seen in Goodwin Branch Hollow on September 3, 1975.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Kentucky State
Police Post 8
606-784-4127

Agency Case Number: 8-09-0842

Source Information:
NamUs

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kinney_reuben.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2702/1/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: Sample available-not yet submitted
Fingerprints: NA

No archived articles found at this time.

This one area of Kentucky that I'm not that familiar with. Vanceburg sits on the border of Ohio with the Ohio River between the KY side and the OH side. I have no idea where Goodwin Branch Hollow is located in this area.

Rueben has been missing almost 35 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• thumb_5838.jpeg
    thumb_5838.jpeg
    2.6 KB · Views: 85
This one area of Kentucky that I'm not that familiar with. Vanceburg sits on the border of Ohio with the Ohio River between the KY side and the OH side. I have no idea where Goodwin Branch Hollow is located in this area.

I found a county road map for Lewis County, Kentucky. It is a .pdf file and you'll need a reader to view it.

http://transportation.ky.gov/planning/maps/CRS/maps/lewis_cmap.pdf

Goodwin Branch Hollow (County Road 1257) is off of KY Route 989 near Haselton, Lewis County, Kentucky. This is southwest of Vanceburg.

In Kentucky, a hollow is a rural road that goes anywhere from a mile to several miles between, up and down a mountain. Sometimes a hollow road is paved, sometimes it's a dirt or gravel road.

Thank you very much Nero. I'm going to use the PDF to locate it on google maps, so I can see a 3D of the area.

That map you provided really helped a lot, because I was looking in and around Vanceburg.

The only Hollows I am familiar with are in Cen KY and SE KY and E KY. The area where Rueben went missing I have not visited enough to have a feel for it.

Thanks!

I see he is listed in Social Security Death Index.

KINNEY, REUBEN birth 10 Apr 1913 Death Sep 1975 62 41179 (Vanceburg, Lewis, KY) (none specified) Ohio

I see he is listed in Social Security Death Index.

KINNEY, REUBEN birth 10 Apr 1913 Death Sep 1975 62 41179 (Vanceburg, Lewis, KY) (none specified) Ohio

It very well could be that years after he went missing, his family could have went to the courthouse and had him declared to be legally dead.

That could explain why he is listed in the Social Security Death Index.

It's unfortunate there's so little information available about this chap and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance. However as a DNA sample is available there was presumably at least one blood relative alive as of a few years ago.

I managed to find the road on or near where he disappeared using Google maps. It is indeed fairly remote.

Would anyone in the US be able to contact the local police for more information? It seems that at the very least it would be useful to have the following information available:

Why was Reuben in this area?
Did he live locally? If so, where? If not, where did he live?
Otherwise might he have been visiting someone local? If so, who? Was it somewhere he visited regularly?
If visiting, how did he get there? Did he have a vehicle? If so, what sort and where is it? If not, did someone give him a lift? If so, who?
Did he have any enemies? If so who? Or was there anything else to suggest he was in danger?
How long after last being seen was it realised he was missing?
Who reported him missing?
Did he have any medical issues that might have caused him to wander off, get lost or similar?
What, if any, enquiries were made at the time of his disappearance?

Hey guys. I married into this family, and the story always fascinated me. I was under the impression he was much older until my wife showed me a newspaper clipping. I'm a big ID nut, so a an unresolved story such as this one always sat poorly with me, because I'd love for her family to have a little closure in regards to it -- they're great people.

Here's the text from a newspaper clipping

"Reuben Kinney, age 62, has been missing from his brother's home on Salt Lick since Wednesday, September 3, 1975. He left the residence between 6 AM and 7 AM.

Mr. Kinney was described as weighing approximately 120 pounds, 5 feet, 8 inches tall, grey hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing green pants and a white t-shirt and no shoes."

My wife tells me that he had four strokes, Alzheimer's and they also believe dementia. He left to go to the outhouse one night/morning and never came back. At one point family members had sort of hypothesized that he'd wandered onto someone's land and was shot and buried, after being mistaken for an intruder. No one suspected in particular, just the nature of the land back then.

Lewis County is a very wide, rural area.

The newspaper article may have the incorrect info on when he actually left, as I was told they got up to start coffee and breakfast and called for him, to no response. Dogs and game wardens went on the search that day, but it had rained the night before, which may have affected things.

I am Reuben's grandson born 3 years after he disappeared. I would love for my aging father to have some closure. I know this story well and know the area well. The family still live in the area in fact some family remain in the home he left from. If anyone would need my help to solve this please contact me. I would like to see grandpa found.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP2702
Reuben Curtis Kinney, Male, White / Caucasian
C3EC287E-6631-4255-9160-4614D079E675.jpeg FFD5F472-A026-43AE-A347-8B2437DF1771.jpeg
Date of Last Contact: September 3, 1975
Missing From: Vanceburg, Kentucky

Missing Age: 62 Years
Height: 6' 0" (72 Inches)
Weight: 140 lbs
Hair Color: Gray or Partially Gray
Eye Color: Hazel

Deformity: Br
oken leg from childhood that was not seen by medical personnel - unknown which leg

Circumstances of Disappearance:
He was last seen in Goodwin Branch Hollow

I found a county road map for Lewis County, Kentucky. It is a .pdf file and you'll need a reader to view it.

http://transportation.ky.gov/planning/maps/CRS/maps/lewis_cmap.pdf

Goodwin Branch Hollow (County Road 1257) is off of KY Route 989 near Haselton, Lewis County, Kentucky. This is southwest of Vanceburg.

In Kentucky, a hollow is a rural road that goes anywhere from a mile to several miles between, up and down a mountain. Sometimes a hollow road is paved, sometimes it's a dirt or gravel road.

It is a gravel road with Heselton Baptist Church at the mouth of the road where it connects to KY art 989. The Gravel road runs for about 1 and 1/2 miles where it opens into a valley which leads to other hollows that is surrounded by total wilderness. The hollow has a total of 5 residences.

Thank you very much Nero. I'm going to use the PDF to locate it on google maps, so I can see a 3D of the area.

That map you provided really helped a lot, because I was looking in and around Vanceburg.

The only Hollows I am familiar with are in Cen KY and SE KY and E KY. The area where Rueben went missing I have not visited enough to have a feel for it.

Thanks!

I have hunted in this hollow several times very familiar with it.

It's unfortunate there's so little information available about this chap and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance. However as a DNA sample is available there was presumably at least one blood relative alive as of a few years ago.

I managed to find the road on or near where he disappeared using Google maps. It is indeed fairly remote.

Would anyone in the US be able to contact the local police for more information? It seems that at the very least it would be useful to have the following information available:

Why was Reuben in this area?
Did he live locally? If so, where? If not, where did he live?
Otherwise might he have been visiting someone local? If so, who? Was it somewhere he visited regularly?
If visiting, how did he get there? Did he have a vehicle? If so, what sort and where is it? If not, did someone give him a lift? If so, who?
Did he have any enemies? If so who? Or was there anything else to suggest he was in danger?
How long after last being seen was it realised he was missing?
Who reported him missing?
Did he have any medical issues that might have caused him to wander off, get lost or similar?
What, if any, enquiries were made at the time of his disappearance?

I can answer all your questions if this missing person case still interests you.

Hey guys. I married into this family, and the story always fascinated me. I was under the impression he was much older until my wife showed me a newspaper clipping. I'm a big ID nut, so a an unresolved story such as this one always sat poorly with me, because I'd love for her family to have a little closure in regards to it -- they're great people.

Here's the text from a newspaper clipping

My wife tells me that he had four strokes, Alzheimer's and they also believe dementia. He left to go to the outhouse one night/morning and never came back. At one point family members had sort of hypothesized that he'd wandered onto someone's land and was shot and buried, after being mistaken for an intruder. No one suspected in particular, just the nature of the land back then.

Lewis County is a very wide, rural area.

The newspaper article may have the incorrect info on when he actually left, as I was told they got up to start coffee and breakfast and called for him, to no response. Dogs and game wardens went on the search that day, but it had rained the night before, which may have affected things.

This is the story I was always told by mom and dad when I asked. He was my grandfather I never met. I was born in 1978. I was told search dogs even showed signs of interest around the closest neighbors home but to my knowledge no significant search took place there for whatever reason. It is almost like they never wanted to search there. It has been a long time since I was told the story so maybe I am not recall No all the details but he did leave with no shoes early one morning. He was mentally not able to do things due to stroke but his body was able to do things pretty well to my understanding. I would love to know what happened to him...especially for my dad.

I shared this poster that I made on social media a few weeks back. And it generated some attention. So please print and share around Vanceburg and Lewis County. And post it on social media. Someone somewhere knows something. So let's bring this case back to the public eye.

Attachments

• MISSING KINNEY.jpg
    MISSING KINNEY.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members