Women on Top! College & job crisis > better pay for women

Cypros

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Workplace Salaries: At Last, Women on Top

The fact that the average American working woman earns only about 8o% of what the average American working man earns has been something of a festering sore for at least half the population for several decades. And despite many programs and analyses and hand-wringing and badges and even some legislation, the figure hasn't budged much in the past five years.
But now there's evidence that the ship may finally be turning around: according to a new analysis of 2,000 communities by a market research company, in 147 out of 150 of the biggest cities in the U.S., the median full-time salaries of young women are 8% higher than those of the guys in their peer group..... In some cities it is up to 20% more.
The figures come from James Chung of Reach Advisors, who has spent more than a year analyzing data from the Census Bureau's American Community Survey. He attributes the earnings reversal overwhelmingly to one factor: education. For every two guys who graduate from college or get a higher degree, three women do.

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,2015274,00.html?cnn=yes&hpt=Sbin

I certainly see a trend toward this at my college. We have noticeably more male than female students, and male graduates outnumber females, but more males drop out than females, and females, as a general rule (and I am generalizing here) are stronger academically and also at working harder. These characteristics make them more desirable in the job market. That, and the fact that diversity standards have lead to a push to hire more women means better jobs and better pay.

You go girls!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back