1239 users online (213 members and 1026 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Great job, Summer Breeze! RIP Nancy. I'll be praying for comfort for her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimster View Post
    I like to analyze these cases to help with future sleuthing. With this one, I wonder how Nancy got all the way up to San Fran when LE reported they thought she was still in the area?

I'm curious to know if Nancy's case was in NamUs. I didn't find it in the missing info/support forum thread. Does anyone know if LAPD entered Nancy's case into NamUs or was it just the MSM articles?

ETA: This match got me wondering about how many cases are in MSM only and never make it into NamUs. That is if Nancy's case was not in NamUs.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by summer_breeze View Post
    --- On Tue, 1/24/12, Jana.Tawney@sfgov.org <Jana.Tawney@sfgov.org> wrote:

Subject: Re: NamUs - Identify - 9170
    To: <redacted>
    Date: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 4:35 PM

Hi XXXX,

I want to say thank you, Nancy Barrett was a match. She is now officially identified and her family has been notified. <rest of message redacted>

Sincerely,

Jana Tawney, BA
    Public Service Aide
    Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
    City and County of San Francisco

Wow! I am really impressed summer_breeze! Amazing job!

I answered my own question. It looks like Nancy's missing persons case is in NamUs.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11880/0/

Her NamUs case file indicates she was possibly wearing the green cargo pants, same as listed with the decedent.

Copying over the namus case file information before it is removed. (both the UID and MP cases have not yet been closed out of NamUs) sorry the carry over is so jumbled. Wondering why this wasn't picked up by NamUs, other than the obvious that DNA and Dentals are not listed for the MP. (or are listed as not available). I hope NamUs is hitting on information other than if only DNA and Dentals are available. Not trying to negate the match, it is an excellent job and excellent example of why human eyes still need to look through these databases. Just curious as to what NamUs is missing.

Case Report - NamUs MP # 11880

Case Information

Status Missing First name Nancy Middle name Last name Barrett Nickname/Alias
    Date LKA July 14, 2010 16:45 Date entered 08/04/2011
    Age LKA 53 to years old Age now Unknown
    DOB Race White Ethnicity Sex Female
    Height (inches) 68.0
    Weight (pounds)150.0

Circumstances

City Venice (Los Angeles) State California Zip code County Los Angeles
    Circumstances Barrett was last seen on July 14, 2010, around 4:45 p.m. in the area of her home in the 2600 block of Grand Canal Court in the Venice area.

Barrett moved from her apartment to her car, which was parked in front her former home. She abandoned her car and possessions and left the area under unknown circumstances. She has not been seen or heard from since.

She may be in the Venice Beach or Santa Monica areas.

Physical

Hair color Brown Head hair It is now likely that Barrett’s hair is extremely gray.
    Body hair
    Facial hair
    Left eye color Brown Right eye color Brown Eye description
    No known distinctive body features
    Distinctive features as described below Amputations
    Deformities
    Scars and marks
    Tattoos
    Piercings
    Artificial body parts
    and aids
    Finger and toe nails
    Other distinctive
    physical characteristics

Medical

Medical implants
    Foreign objects
    Skeletal information

Clothing and Accessories

Clothing and accessories are unknown
    Clothing and accessories are described below
    Clothing She may have been wearing green cargo pants and a tan sweater
    Footwear
    Jewelry
    Eyewear
    Accessories

Transportation Methods

Vehicle make
    Vehicle model Year Style Vehicle color Tag type Tag number Tag state Expiration year
    Vehicle comments
    Airline
    Bus

Dental

Status Dental information / charting is currently not available
    DNA

Fingerprint Information

Police Information

TitleDetectiveFirst nameM.Last nameCiuffetelli JurisdictionLocalAgencyLAPD Missing Persons UnitAddress 1Address 2CityLos AngelesStateCaliforniaZip codePhone213-996-1800Emailmissingpersons@lapd.lacity.orgWebsitehttp ://www.lapdonline.org/Case number101417729Date reportedComments
    Last edited by Cubby; 01-25-2012 at 12:06 AM.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Woo Hoo Summer!!!!!

Good job.

Blessings to Nancy's family. May she rest in peace.

It looks like she lost some weight between when the picture was taken and when the artist did the sketch.

Salem

Great Job Summer_Breeze.

And I'm glad that Jana Tawney showed the courtesy of acknowledging your efforts. A few of our members have made matches without a peep from authorities, or even worse, they take credit for it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    Woo Hoo Summer!!!!!

Good job.

Blessings to Nancy's family. May she rest in peace.

It looks like she lost some weight between when the picture was taken and when the artist did the sketch.

Salem
    It appears she did lose some weight. Nancy's MP info lists her at 150 lbs. The UID was listed at 129 lbs. I wonder if being more than 20 lbs difference is why NamUs didn't catch it.
    ~JMO~

Amazing job, Summer Breeze! I don't usually hang out in UID, but Kimster told me about your success and I just wanted to congratulate you. It is wonderful to see someone given back their name and family. Woo Hoo!
    Forum: Jury Room
    Thread: Most interesting classic unsolved murder cases

This thread currently has over 350 cases with a brief synopsis of each and we are still adding additional cases.

You can access a spreadsheet that lists the cases in alphabetical order with the page & post number so that you can locate a particular case you may be interested in. It also contains links to any cases that already have a thread on WS.

Many cases do not have a thread. Please feel free to start one in the appropriate forum if you would like to look into one. Should you start a thread on one of these cases, please let me know so that I can add the link to the spreadsheet.

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in alphabetical order:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in country order:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FBBcGVid0lmUHc
    =======================================

Forum: Jury Room
    Thread: Cold But Not Too Old Murder Case List

This is a listing of newer but still cold cases. As with the above thread we will be adding as we go along. Most of these cases will probably have threads. If you do start a new one, please let me know so I can add the link to the spreadsheets. The spreadsheets may be accessed from the links below.

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in alphabetical order:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...mlNV2lSQ1dDWHc

Here is the link for the spreadsheet in country order:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...FBIaHRnR1g0SEE

Great job Summer!
    mortui vivos docent

Thank you Summer Breeze for helping Nancy go home.

Excellent work

Summer Breeze that is what this is all about. Even if the results aren't always what everyone hoped for...

RIP Nancy, you have your name back.

You all are very kind. I am absolutely jubilant that Nancy has a name and home. I am dancing in my chair. Literally.

Kimster, I only looked at the clothing and description detail, and state. And the sketches.

I've seen submissions from all over the country for some NamUs profiles, so I figured what the heck on "same state"

For further reference, I did not read/interpret the articles the same as others. I take packing up the car with personal belongings, abandoning car....to mean the person had no intention of staying "in the area".

The rest was just matching up description and specifc clothing. Luck.

I wish I could provide more insight, but that is all I have. I tell you, sometimes it is just luck. And chances worth taking.

And I encourage everyone to take those chances. Families await your potential match!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone here contributing to this forum is terrific, dedicated.

Please, keep looking. It is valuable and worthy.

Best regards,
    ~Summer
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 01-26-2012 at 09:36 PM.

This is one of the few cases where the artist had the drawing COMPLETELY correct. Anyone who knew her could recognize her from the drawing, IMHO.

SummerBreeze - thanks for being the one to do it. I'm always amazed when grieving families somehow don't have the resources/connections to find their missing family members through missing persons sites.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2