Urgent: Websleuths Does Not Endorse Nor Condone Any Sort Of "Protest"!

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dear Websleuths Members and Visitors,

Whenever a case gets a lot of media attention it can draw out people and ideas that as owner of Websleuths I only do not agree with but highly disprove of.

There is talk of some sort of "protest" in front of someone's home in regards to Kyron's case.

Let me state this as clear as I can; In no way shape or form does Websleuths have anything to do with any protest. Nor will I allow any discussion of organizing of the protest.

In stronger language let me state it makes people look ridiculous when they pull things like this.

Remember the "protesters" in front of the Anthony house? I was completely embarrassed for them. The looked like they were out of control and over the top.

For some reason whenever anything like this happens many people, including some media, suggest these things come from "Internet Crazies."

And anything that is attached to the Internet and True Crime ALWAYS gets blamed on Websleuths.

I have lost count of the time our forum has been accused of doing things to people involved in cases when in fact we had nothing to do with any of it.

The Anthony protesters is a a good example. Websleuths was accused of letting people organize on our site.

Let me address those who are reading this and are part of the protest:

In my opinion, if you decide to go protest in front of anyone's house you will end up looking like one of the "Internet crazies" people accuse you of being.

You will do nothing to advance Kyron's case. Kyron . . . Remember him?

Day in and day out I fight the stereotype of Internet Crazies when it comes to people participating in Websleuths. We are not even close to those type of people who use the Internet to get attention through ways that are inappropriate at best.

At Websleuths we strive every day to do the right thing, to do it with class and compassion for the victims.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Tricia Griffith
Owner/Websleuths.com

This is sooooo true. I was reading a thread on Kyron on another forum. The tone and wording of the posts was very much different then on WS. I was left with the vivid impression of "These folks are nuts" and " let the witch hunts begin" came to mind.

I now have a new appreciation for the time and effort Tricia and the moderators put in to keep this site from turning into a vigilance committee.

To keep everyone from running to their dictionaries:
Vigilance Committee: (n) a volunteer group of citizens that without authority assumes police powers, as pursuing and punishing criminal suspects.

This is sooooo true. I was reading a thread on Kyron on another forum. The tone and wording of the posts was very much different then on WS. I was left with the vivid impression of "These folks are nuts" and " let the witch hunts begin" came to mind.

I now have a new appreciation for the time and effort Tricia and the moderators put in to keep this site from turning into a vigilance committee.

To keep everyone from running to their dictionaries:
Vigilance Committee: (n) a volunteer group of citizens that without authority assumes police powers, as pursuing and punishing criminal suspects.

Dear K9Snoop,

Thank you so very much for your observation. I can't tell you how much what you said means to me. I am grateful when others see what is going on at other forums and how we strive to be different.

"Vigilance Committee." Never heard of the term but now you have enlightened me. Thank you :)

Besides, without Cindy's hammer and George's hose.......

(just trying to lighten the mood.)

(slinking out now)

Think long and hard before you do this guys. Long and hard. What will you be accomplishing? I mean is the over all feeling that someone will break from the sight of angry protesters and run to the DA's office to confess?

It doesnt work that way. Ever. JMVHO.

I actually reported a poster on a news site that suggested starting a protest in front of the Moulton's home; I've never reported anyone for anything before on a thread but that really scared me. What a stupid, thoughtless idea.

vigilante n. someone who takes the law into his/her own hands by trying and/or punishing another person without any legal authority. In the 1800s groups of vigilantes dispensed "frontier justice" by holding trials of accused horse-thieves, rustlers and shooters, and then promptly hanging the accused if "convicted." A mother who shoots the alleged molester of her child is a vigilante.

moo

I don't know anything about who is protesting or where they are protesting. I guess people get impatient and want to pressure people, but it's never going to work. Our legal system may not be perfect but causing more trouble is not the way fix it.

Let the wheels of justice turn, even if you lose patience or lose hope. What goes around comes around.

Man, this is such a high class site. Don't bother looking at the others. Foul language, insults hurled back and forth and intelligent sleuthing swallowed by rabid vitriol. I felt dirty and stupid when I happened upon those other sites (including some newspaper message boards). I don't feel that way here.
I'll admit I've taken Websleuths for granted. But posts like these remind me of all the hard work and dedication that go into keeping this a world class operation. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tricia thanks for your post along with all the others. This is NOT a good idea and this is about KYRON and KYRON only. Let the law do their job. That is why I like WS you do not let these things get out of hand. You respect everyone involved in a case and I appreciate that you don't allow sleuthing unless its been reported by MSM. Thank you for all that you do.

Tricia thanks for your post along with all the others. This is NOT a good idea and this is about KYRON and KYRON only. Let the law do their job. That is why I like WS you do not let these things get out of hand. You respect everyone involved in a case and I appreciate that you don't allow sleuthing unless its been reported by MSM. Thank you for all that you do.

We just recently decided about the "main stream media" rule.

We did this because it got so wild with the accusations and the sleuthing of innocent people that the moderators felt, and I agreed, that we had to curtail this. I have to give the credit for this extremely good rule to our wonderful mods. Thank you.

I am all for sleuthing. It is pretty obvious since Websleuths.com is my full time job. It's all I do. But I think we all would want others to be careful about what they say if we found ourselves, by no fault of our own, caught up in a high profile case.

I know not allowing discussions about people and situations until it hits the main stream media can be very frustrating but depending on the situation we can and do relax the rule a bit occasionally.

When Law Enforcement comes to me and asks about what we do at Websleuths the best way I describe it is like this;

"Imagine we are all gathered together in a room, we are given a certain amount of information, and then we spitball. Meaning we throw out ideas, theories, look up a information if we can, and we continue to discuss it until we have answers. One big giant spit-balling session with the entire universe all in one place. That's Websleuths.com"

If anyone here can think of a better way to describe what we do in just a few sentences feel free to post your thoughts here. Love to read what you write:)

Tricia

just to clarify any type of protest will not help to find this sweet child

You are right my dear. All it does is take precious focus AWAY from Kyron and on to the people who protest.

My guess is it is not going to happen now. We'll see.

I must say I was quite shocked when I read this thread name and clicked to see what exactly this could possibly be all about. Shocked and confused would probably best describe my mixed emotions of reading such info. Shocked because as others ahead of me have so accurately and eloquently stated this IS NOT WHAT WEBSLEUTHS IS ABOUT. Confused because it[organizing of a protest] goes against everything in my short time of being here that I have come to understand and expect from the site as a whole, its owner, its mods, and its members/posters. This does not even resemble anything of the sort near what I know of the members/posters that I share part of each of my days with in discussing[and that includes NOT ALWAYS agreeing]and bringing forth what valuable insight that each of us as individuals contribute that together as a whole attempts to find the much needed answers to "bring Kyron home".

Each and every one of us have our own unique view of the info, situations, and actions that have taken place in Kyron's case. And I value each and every one of those unique views that belong to my fellow members/posters. I believe that we all serve a purpose in being here to not only search for the answers in Kyron's case but as a united front of many[and boy there are many of us]we can find the answers and the steps necessary to ensure that our children and our children's children are better protected from such tragic of situations such as Kyron's. This can be accomplished in various different ways from knocking down our state legislature's doors[figuratively NOT literally]to ensure the laws are fitting to the monsters[pedophiles]that share our sidewalks and their despicable crimes they inflict on our most innocent of children and even ensuring protection from adults whose role is to love, care and provide for them and by no choice of their own that adult is not meeting their needs and much worse in some cases..

It is people such as us, here at Websleuths who can make a difference in not only our own children and grandchildrens lives but all the children who are not as fortunate to have adults in their lives that are actively protecting them. These are the people that I have come to know and that I feel fortunate to share a part of my day with, NOT people who are selfishly looking for instant gratification in protesting in front of a home that IS NOT AND WILL NOT DO ONE OUNCE OF GOOD OR HELP IN "BRINGING KYRON HOME!"

PLEASE THINK LONG AND HARD ABOUT IT.PLEASE CONTINUE TO KEEP THE FOCUS ON KYRON AND NOT THE SIDE CIRCUS TYPE ANTICS THAT WILL RESULT FROM FOLLOWING THRU WITH SUCH AS THIS ILL-FATED, DEAD-END PROTEST.

With much love and respect,
~Smooth

ETA~ As usual with all of my posts please forgive the long run-on sentences and misuse of punctuation... I've always sucked at grammatical errors. ;)

If people ever want to show public support for the victim, peaceful candlelight vigils on important dates, like the missings' birthdays, etc, are much better ways to do so - this brings positive PR to the case. Mob mentality only contributes to the dull roar of angry noise that causes public apathy, IMO.

Violence is what causes tragedy in the first place. It doesn't help solve it.

I like what the girls did the other day, with the "honk for Kyron" signs. That's positive energy and probably helped some people with their frustration.

I don't disagree with peaceful protests but sometimes (as in the Anthony case), people get way out of hand. That was an embarrassing display of what human beings are capable of and it didn't help Caylee in any way that I can think of.

On a side note, I have probably 25 crimesites bookmarked (& that doesn't include the um, more popular ones or news sites) and the only one I ever click on is Websleuths.

I, for one, cannot believe that ANYONE who is a websleuths member is using this great place as a platform to jump off onto a protest!

Sorry that you have to deal with this Tricia!

If people ever want to show public support for the victim, peaceful candlelight vigils on important dates, like the missings' birthdays, etc, are much better ways to do so - this brings positive PR to the case. Mob mentality only contributes to the dull roar of angry noise that causes public apathy, IMO. Violence is what causes tragedy in the first place. It doesn't help solve it.

BBM. I have already been thinking about how I will honor Kyron on his birthday next Thursday (September 9): Red balloons, red flowers, and fish w/mac & cheese on the dinner menu. I'm hoping that my good colleagues here at WS will join me in a celebration of Kyron's birthday with similar gestures of hope and love for this beautiful, beloved boy.

Thoughts and prayers for Kyron!

I, for one, cannot believe that ANYONE who is a websleuths member is using this great place as a platform to jump off onto a protest!

Sorry that you have to deal with this Tricia!

From my understanding it happened on another site; Tricia was being pro-active that her site wasn't involved and would NOT be involved in any way. Go Tricia, nipping that in the bud!!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back