Another Gulf oil rig explodes off La. coast

Dark Knight

Reaction score
GRAND ISLE, La. – An offshore oil rig has exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, west of the site of the April blast that caused the massive oil spill.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Casey Ranel says the blast was reported by a commercial helicopter company about 9:30 a.m. CDT Thursday. Seven helicopters, two airplanes and four boats are en route to the site, about 80 miles south of Vermilion Bay along the central Louisiana coast.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100902/ap_on_re_us/us_gulf_rig_explosion

The Coast Guard said initial reports indicated all 13 crew members from the rig were in the water. One was injured, but there were no deaths.

The platform owned by Mariner Energy is in about 2,500 feet of water, the Coast Guard said, and was not currently producing.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_rig_explosion

Oh this is so NOT GOOD!
So much suffering............

OMG, not another one. This is terrible. What the hell are those oil people doing? Those poor people have already been so traumatized, they must be freaking out.

Please tell me this is an early April fools joke... :(

Praying this is not as large a scale disaster as the BP fiasco. Praying for the gulf states, in particular Louisiana

The report saying the rig was "not producing oil or gas" doesn't help. WTH does that mean? Not producing? Was the well capped? Shut off? If so, why were there 13 employees on the rig? Would it matter if the well was "closed'?

This is outrageous. We need - no - WE DEMAND answers. I have yet to find anyone covering this yet.

Praying for all those affected - INCLUDING ALL THE BIRDS AND SEA LIFE!!!! So unfair to them.

The report saying the rig was "not producing oil or gas" doesn't help. WTH does that mean? Not producing? Was the well capped? Shut off? If so, why were there 13 employees on the rig? Would it matter if the well was "closed'?

This is outrageous. We need - no - WE DEMAND answers. I have yet to find anyone covering this yet.

Praying for all those affected - INCLUDING ALL THE BIRDS AND SEA LIFE!!!! So unfair to them.

I read on an AP report that they were doing some sort of routine maintenance on the rig.

This is so bad. I can't believe this is happening.

snip

The platform is a fixed petroleum platform that was in production at the time of the fire.

It was producing about 58,800 gallons of oil and 900,000 cubic feet of gas per day. The platform can store 4,200 gallons of oil.

BBM. Much more at link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38973757/ns/us_news-life

I haven't read all of the news reports but what are the odds of this without some sort of tampering? My suspicions have become aroused.

I haven't read all of the news reports but what are the odds of this without some sort of tampering? My suspicions have become aroused.

Mine too.

I know it may sound silly to some people, but it seems to me that the Ocean's floor is saying "enough is enough."

It concerns me that they can't seem to come to a consensus as to whether it is an active rig or not. I find that very odd and suspect some CYA is already going on.

Dark Knight- Just returned from a long hiatus from WS. So glad to see you are still here! Prayers to all who were injured. L

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back