2010.09.03 - Kaine assures Skyline Parents their kids are safe.

Aedrys

If justice doesn't get you, karma will.
Reaction score
Changes at Skyline after Kyron disappearance
Posted on September 3, 2010 at 7:26 AM
Updated today at 7:37 AM

The father of missing seven-year-old Kaine Horman spoke to parents during a private meeting at Skyline Elementary School Thursday.

Kaine Horman told KGW the school held the meeting in order to explain new policies to parents following Kaine’s disappearance at the end of the last school year.

snip

Kaine told KGW he spoke briefly at the meeting, and assured parents their kids would be safe.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Changes-at-Skyline-after-Kyron-disappearance-102148389.html

I thought this was very interesting. So what could Kaine possibly tell these parents that they haven't already heard from the press? Is it possible that there's more information here that he knows that the general public doesn't? Seems like it would be a waste of time for him to talk to these parents if there wasn't something he could tell them to reassure them.

Maybe LE wanted him to go and talk to them? A more parent to parent approach instead of LE to parent? I definitely think this worth talking about, but no Kaine bashing or sleuthing please. I just want to discuss what he might have told these parents to calm them, and whether this is indication that he knows more about this investigation than we think or not.

Maybe he was referring to the new security systems in place. I'm not sure how he could speak to that as a fact otherwise.

Maybe he was referring to the new security systems in place. I'm not sure how he could speak to that as a fact otherwise.

That could be true. I hadn't thought about that. But I don't know, when I read the clip of that article that BeanE posted in the news thread, it just seemed to me that maybe he assured them some other way. I mean, why meet with them just to tell them about the security cameras?

I'm also wondering if this is something he did himself, or if the school wanted him to talk to the parents, or if it was LE who wanted him to talk to the parents.

I thought this was very interesting. So what could Kaine possibly tell these parents that they haven't already heard from the press? Is it possible that there's more information here that he knows that the general public doesn't? Seems like it would be a waste of time for him to talk to these parents if there wasn't something he could tell them to reassure them.

Maybe LE wanted him to go and talk to them? A more parent to parent approach instead of LE to parent? I definitely think this worth talking about, but no Kaine bashing or sleuthing please. I just want to discuss what he might have told these parents to calm them, and whether this is indication that he knows more about this investigation than we think or not.

Even if Kyron had not disappeared, LE would never tell a parent to go assure other parents their children will be safe at school. LE can never guarantee that, and wouldn't.

Think school shootings. Think predators. LE can never make such a guarantee.

Kaine has no control over security procedures at the school - it's the school administration who does. It's not his place to assure parents their children are safe in school, and I can't imagine why he would do such a thing. He has no dog in that race. Only the school admin and LE can offer that assurance, and I would be utterly shocked if either of them ever did.

Perhaps this is the reporter's wording, and not what Kaine actually did, or not what Kaine actually said to the parents. I'd like to hear directly what he actually said. I have a feeling it was different from what the reporter implied.

That could be true. I hadn't thought about that. But I don't know, when I read the clip of that article that BeanE posted in the news thread, it just seemed to me that maybe he assured them some other way. I mean, why meet with them just to tell them about the security cameras?
I would guess (hope!) that there is more to it than just security cameras.

This:

"It's going to be tough, but I think what they got planned for the first day and the procedures and things that they're working on, I think it's outstanding,” Kaine said. “I think they've made some big adjustments and it was a safe school before, and now it's probably going to be one of the safest schools in the state."

The article is short, but it talks about 'new policies' and "all" the changes. IMO and especially given the above quote, I think that's what he's referring to.

This:

"It's going to be tough, but I think what they got planned for the first day and the procedures and things that they're working on, I think it's outstanding,” Kaine said. “I think they've made some big adjustments and it was a safe school before, and now it's probably going to be one of the safest schools in the state."

The article is short, but it talks about 'new policies' and "all" the changes. IMO and especially given the above quote, I think that's what he's referring to.

Based on that quote from Kaine, and my impression that he's a smart guy, I'm going to bet he said something along the lines of, "With all the new procedures and security cameras etc, I think your kids are safer here than they've ever been before."

Even if Kyron had not disappeared, LE would never tell a parent to go assure other parents their children will be safe at school. LE can never guarantee that, and wouldn't.

Think school shootings. Think predators. LE can never make such a guarantee.

Kaine has no control over security procedures at the school - it's the school administration who does. It's not his place to assure parents their children are safe in school, and I can't imagine why he would do such a thing. He has no dog in that race. Only the school admin and LE can offer that assurance, and I would be utterly shocked if either of them ever did.

Perhaps this is the reporter's wording, and not what Kaine actually did, or not what Kaine actually said to the parents. I'd like to hear directly what he actually said. I have a feeling it was different from what the reporter implied.

Very good points here! Maybe that's why it struck me as odd. It makes sense LE wouldn't ask him to do this. So maybe the school did? Or maybe he felt it was something he had to do himself?

I'd like to know his exact wording too. I'm wondering if told them that it was almost certain Terri did it, and there's no predator to worry about. And that the new security cameras would prevent something like this from happening again.

ETA: BeanE's suggestion of what Kaine is much better than what I came up with! Didn't see it until after I posted, sorry.

It seems obvious that he (and DY) are convinced that TMH is the person responsible for Kyron's disappearance. The grounds for that belief may not be completely known to the public but it's clear he really does believe it.

So, with that belief, of course he can reassure the Skyline parents.

Even though I have significant doubts as to whether TMH did it, I would still feel comfortable reassuring the parents. Even if this is a nonfamily/stranger abduction, the school has improved their security. For the next few years, it's likely to be a very secure environment.

The article says 'private' meeting, making me wonder if parents were told to keep at least some of the information on security to themselves. I also wonder if the school has security measures they're not sharing with anyone (outside of LE of course); measures they wouldn't want someone to be able to circumvent or take advantage of if (God forbid) something like this was attempted in the future.

Just thought of something else.

KH obviously believes that Kyron is still alive and will be coming home soon. He's going out buying school supplies for him!

I suspect part of KH's motivation was to try to preserve Skyline School as close as possible to the way it was before Kyron disappeared, so that when Kyron comes home, he can slide right back into a normal routine.

To accomplish that, it means that as many of Kyron's friends as possible would still be attending the school.

Principal's Message
We are hosting a parent information evening on September 2nd at 6:00 p.m. The meeting will be held in the Skyline gym. We are asking that this meeting be for parents only, as you are the ones who need the information. Other folks from the community and press are not invited to the meeting in order to give you a chance to share your questions and potential concerns in a safe environment.

This meeting has been set up to respond to questions about how the start of school will be handled. Many of you have been asking questions about security, check in and check out procedures, the Wall of Hope, and how we will be dealing with the media presence that will undoubtedly be present as we start school.

snip

I will be present as well as a representative from the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office,

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/

Principal's Message
We are hosting a parent information evening on September 2nd at 6:00 p.m. The meeting will be held in the Skyline gym. We are asking that this meeting be for parents only, as you are the ones who need the information. Other folks from the community and press are not invited to the meeting in order to give you a chance to share your questions and potential concerns in a safe environment.

This meeting has been set up to respond to questions about how the start of school will be handled. Many of you have been asking questions about security, check in and check out procedures, the Wall of Hope, and how we will be dealing with the media presence that will undoubtedly be present as we start school.

snip

I will be present as well as a representative from the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office,

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/

So is that the same meeting Kaine was at too? Because this doesn't mention Kaine at all.

Very good points here! Maybe that's why it struck me as odd. It makes sense LE wouldn't ask him to do this. So maybe the school did? Or maybe he felt it was something he had to do himself?

I'd like to know his exact wording too. I'm wondering if told them that it was almost certain Terri did it, and there's no predator to worry about. And that the new security cameras would prevent something like this from happening again.

ETA: BeanE's suggestion of what Kaine is much better than what I came up with! Didn't see it until after I posted, sorry.

That would be a huge mistake. Even if Terri is guilty of somehow abducting Kyron from the school, the last thing they want to do is allow people to become complacent, thinking that no threat exists, or that the presence of cameras will somehow fully protect their children.

Even without the cameras, this school is probably the safest in the state and has been since Kyron went missing. If Terri is guilty, she's not going near the school nor has any reason to go after any other child; if it was a stranger abduction, they sure as heck aren't going to strike twice in the same place. I would also think there's going to be police presence (obvious or not) for some time. At least until it's determined for sure what happened to Kyron. JMO

Kaine Horman, Kyron's father, was at the school Thursday and said Skyline parents should feel confident their children are safe.

"It was a safe school before, it probably will be one of the safest schools in the state," Kaine Horman said. "Everyone has come together and they feel like they can bring their kids back to safe environment."

http://www.kptv.com/news/24872522/detail.html

Gates was at the meeting too.

I am so over trying to read into comments by Kaine or anyone else anymore...Kaine said whatever he said for whatever reason, unknown to me. We do know that Kaine feels Terri is responsible as he has said that much in pretty plain English, so it is no surprise to me that he would tell others the school is safe.

Kaine Horman, Kyron's father, was at the school Thursday and said Skyline parents should feel confident their children are safe.

"It was a safe school before, it probably will be one of the safest schools in the state," Kaine Horman said. "Everyone has come together and they feel like they can bring their kids back to safe environment."

http://www.kptv.com/news/24872522/detail.html

Gates was at the meeting too.

BBM

This seems to imply that he does not hold the school responsible at all--and I think his saying so lends the school credibility. If I were there, I would draw the conclusion that there is no need for me to worry about a repeat incident--see, even Kyron's dad says so. If I were an employee at that school, I would want students and parents as reassured as possible, because the first days are tough enough without the extra anxiety. I think Kaine feels strongly about his community and wants to support the school, which he does not believe has done anything wrong, and which was, in fact, a very good place for Kyron to be. I don't really think this was LE's idea--but they are also supporting him. MOO

Of course Kaine was at the meeting....he's the parent of a student at the school.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back