Craigslist removes adult services section

Missizzy

Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see that it's permanent. Obviously, the pimps can move elsewhere but this move was way overdue, IMO.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100904...jA3luX21vc3RfcG9wdWxhcgRzbGsDY3JhaWdzbGlzdHJl

Craigslist removes adult services section

"Craigslist appears to have surrendered in a legal fight over erotic ads posted on its website, shutting down its adult services section Saturday and replacing it with a black bar that simply says "censored."

The move comes just over a week after a group of state attorneys general said there weren't enough protections against blocking potentially illegal ads promoting prostitution. It's not clear if the closure is permanent, and it appears to only effect ads in the United States...."

more at link

he should've done it long ago and of his own volition, instead of waging some stupid court battle

As a mother of a young woman who is exploited on Craigslist daily, I'm just pleased that there will be one less avenue available for pimps on which to sell my vulnerable girl's body.

If I were Mr. Newmark, I couldn't sleep at night knowing how many that one section has harmed. I happen to use Craigslist as it's very active in our area. It's a useful tool as newspapers have fallen by the wayside.

I find it abominable, though, that human beings (including children and the disabled) are sold there. Those are harsh words but they are the truth.

I'm wondering why they even had that ridiculous section in the first place... but either way, I'm thankful it's gone now.

Talk about being juvenile. Check out your local Craigslist page. The CENSORED box over the spot which advertised "Adult Services" is a real classy touch. Jeesh.

It's not really been permanently removed. Mr. Newmark is just playing with us, I think.

As suspected they've just moved on over to "Therapeutic Services" and the "Personals Ads". Same exact ads. That's where all the pimps and prostitutes went last time there was crack down. I guarantee you, they are there. I just checked several cities. Here's an article about the "censorship":

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100905...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDMWNlbnNvcmVkYmFy

I'm assuming that everyone realizes that Mr. Newmark is enjoying this game IMO. Most people love Craigslist and most are great law-abiding people looking for a used couch or a particular video game. The bad apples will find someway to use this forum. He's probably right in that respect. I hate to admit it, though.

I don't really see how this will help, to be honest. I personally would rather see prostitution legalized, taxed and regulated.

The Net is the same as the streets, clear out these folks from one spot, they will just move to another. I haven't really used Craigslist, but for me, it's a matter of not clicking on those ads. If I happen across one, I would just ignore it.

As suspected they've just moved on over to "Therapeutic Services" and the "Personals Ads". Same exact ads. That's where all the pimps and prostitutes went last time there was crack down. I guarantee you, they are there. I just checked several cities. Here's an article about the "censorship":

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100905...DeW5faGVhZGxpbmVfbGlzdARzbGsDMWNlbnNvcmVkYmFy

I'm assuming that everyone realizes that Mr. Newmark is enjoying this game IMO. Most people love Craigslist and most are great law-abiding people looking for a used couch or a particular video game. The bad apples will find someway to use this forum. He's probably right in that respect. I hate to admit it, though.

Its a real shame that the cruddy filth has not been removed!

fyi Craigslist only has the "censored" bar in the services section, and removed "adult" under the gigs section for US cities. Visit any CL worldwide cities and you will still find "erotic" under services, and "adult" under gigs, both still accessable from pc's here in the US.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back