Kaine creates Kyron Horman Foundation

RubyRed

"Keep on Truckin"
Reaction score
besides finding the new site, Kaine Horman and Young helped with a fundraiser Wednesday at 12 Godfather's Pizza locations in the Portland area. Bracelets and gift baskets were sold, and Godfather's Pizza donated 25 percent of the day's sales, raising $14,000. On Friday, Godfather's co-owner Pat Cahill gave an $8,000 check to the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office for search and rescue efforts.

The rest went to Kaine Horman for the newly created Kyron Horman Foundation, which he established to pay for other fundraisers, fliers, bracelets and whatever else is needed to raise awareness about his son.

Horman said that once Kyron comes home he wants to use the foundation to help other families pay for fliers and other forms of support when their children disappear, as Kyron did.

"It was a struggle for us," Horman said. "There was so much that was overwhelming. I want to go out there and help them."

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/kaine_horman_holding_out_hope.html

I wonder if those were Kaine's exact words......."It was a struggle for us"?
Was ? It sounds like Kyron has been found. I would think it is still a struggle not was a struggle sounds strange.

Will this help with a reward for finding KYRON?
for info leading to finding KYRON?

So Kaine' foundation got $14,000.00.

Kaine, please, please, hire a top-notch detective. Get a fresh of set of eyes in there and find Kyron!

Okay I am going to say this. I think that there are getting to be too many foundations set up when a loved one goes missing. It just isn't realistic that a foundation can be set up everytime a person goes missing. Why not put the resources towards a foundation that is established. For example, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, Texas Equusearch and Polly Klaas Foundation to name just a few. jmo

So Kaine' foundation got $14,000.00.

Kaine, please, please, hire a top-notch detective. Get a fresh of set of eyes in there and find Kyron!

Kaine's foundation would have got six grand.

Was ? It sounds like Kyron has been found. I would think it is still a struggle not was a struggle sounds strange.

I think he means it was a struggle in the beginning to get posters, bracelets, t-shirts, etc set up to be made and paid for. Most people wouldn't know how to even get started on that process when they are unexpectedly thrown into it. A foundation could help them.

I'm still very concerned about the "was" line. It is shown in quotes, so if Kaine did not use those exact words I hope he has phoned his attorney. This is a terrible comment, either way you look at it.

I think he means it was a struggle in the beginning to get posters, bracelets, t-shirts, etc set up to be made and paid for. Most people wouldn't know how to even get started on that process when they are unexpectedly thrown into it. A foundation could help them.

Steadfast, you are always so wise, thanks for calming me down. My only excuse for jumping to conclusions is I am trying to wean myself off of pain pills. These junky things have so messed with my system, its not funny.
I can say that I felt normal for about 15 minutes this morning, and that is a first since surgery on June 30th, after that it was all downhill. I apologize to everyone.

i think he means it was a struggle in the beginning to get posters, bracelets, t-shirts, etc set up to be made and paid for. Most people wouldn't know how to even get started on that process when they are unexpectedly thrown into it. A foundation could help them.

I agree!

Okay I am going to say this. I think that there are getting to be too many foundations set up when a loved one goes missing. It just isn't realistic that a foundation can be set up everytime a person goes missing. Why not put the resources towards a foundation that is established. For example, National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, Texas Equusearch and Polly Klaas Foundation to name just a few. jmo

Amen Ruby! I do understand setting up a foundation for a scholarship, but boy are there a gazillion foundations out there.

I agree that the NCFM+EC and TES are both great foundations, and the only 2 I donate too. Marc Klass has a good one too. But a great foundation has to have loads of resources to help find missing children.

"it was a struggle for us". It still is, and will continue to be. I hope the wording was just quirky.

MOO

Mel

Okay, I'm going to say it - I'm a bit perturbed. Wasn't it said for many days before and right after the pizza fundraiser that the money raised was going to Multnomah County for the SAR team (or similar)?

IMO, all 14k should have went to where they said it was going. When they divide it up after the fact, I think that's wrong. Not that I have issue with Kaine's new foundation. But the money should have went where it was promised it was going, not divided up after the fact.

Reading the 'headline' to this post my mind did a flip. I associate foundations with people who are deceased/missing for a VERY long time.

I don't know. It seems quirky to me that on one hand the family is buying school supplies for him and on the other hand naming foundations after him.

IDK just me and my mental associations with the word 'foundation'

It just might mean that each parent of a missing child thinks and feels that at the time, their child is the most important thing to them in the world and therefor wanting to help others as which is natural when a parent loses a child. There would be no foundations if this were not the case. Look at what Mr. Walsh has done and Jessica Lunsfords daddy. They are out there changing laws.... yay for them. I say whatever will help the children.

I agree-there are too many individual foundations and when there are, none will ever get enough money. People are more likely to donate to the bigger, established ones, like Marc Klass', and he has made this a fulltime job.

I know Kaine and Desiree need to feel like they are doing all they can. But I am still confused about the need for fundraising for searches. MCSO has said they have enough money, they are only waiting for viable tips as to more places to search.

If it is to be used for a private investigator, I could understand that. But to say it is for searches is vague. Searches will always be conducted by LE in the cases of missing children, as far as I know. That is partly what tax dollars are for.

Steadfast, you are always so wise, thanks for calming me down. My only excuse for jumping to conclusions is I am trying to wean myself off of pain pills. These junky things have so messed with my system, its not funny.
I can say that I felt normal for about 15 minutes this morning, and that is a first since surgery on June 30th, after that it was all downhill. I apologize to everyone.

You don't need to apologize to anyone! :blowkiss:

Reading the 'headline' to this post my mind did a flip. I associate foundations with people who are deceased/missing for a VERY long time.

I don't know. It seems quirky to me that on one hand the family is buying school supplies for him and on the other hand naming foundations after him.

IDK just me and my mental associations with the word 'foundation'

I agree - it sends a very mixed message. Why set up a foundation and on the other hand, purchase school supplies.

His son's backpack is stuffed with school supplies. Bus passes sit next to a bus schedule. All is ready for the first day of classes on Tuesday.

Besides the parent-teacher conference, Horman signed his son up for soccer, which Kyron participated in last school year.

Horman bought Kyron a new Iron Man backpack and school supplies, which are in his son's room in his house on Northwest Sheltered Nook Road, and this weekend plans to shop for a birthday present.

Kyron's eighth birthday is Thursday.

linky: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/kaine_horman_holding_out_hope.html

I really can't imagine the grief they are going through, so I'm trying really hard not to judge. I hope that their actions are for the good, and the money raised goes to good use.

Hugs,

Mel

I agree - it sends a very mixed message. Why set up a foundation and on the other hand, purchase school supplies.

His son's backpack is stuffed with school supplies. Bus passes sit next to a bus schedule. All is ready for the first day of classes on Tuesday.

Besides the parent-teacher conference, Horman signed his son up for soccer, which Kyron participated in last school year.

Horman bought Kyron a new Iron Man backpack and school supplies, which are in his son's room in his house on Northwest Sheltered Nook Road, and this weekend plans to shop for a birthday present.

Kyron's eighth birthday is Thursday.

linky: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/09/kaine_horman_holding_out_hope.html

I really can't imagine the grief they are going through, so I'm trying really hard not to judge. I hope that their actions are for the good, and the money raised goes to good use.

Hugs,

Mel

Like I said it is probably just my associations with the word foundation but it seems like a disconnect imo.

I am sure he meant that since Kyron came up missing, it has been a struggle getting it out to the media, flyers, braclets etc. I read it twice to make sure.
This is why form a foundation as he is saying that when Kyron comes home he wants to go out there and help them (other parents and familes)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back