1199 users online (208 members and 991 guests)  

Websleuths News

OH - Man held family hostage, raped child

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/04/...Top+Stories%29

Police: Ohio man held family hostage, raped child

"Police in Ohio say a father cut his family off from the outside world, sexually abused at least one of his daughters and locked one child in a closet-sized room for a year. A grand jury has indicted Jeffrey York, 47, on charges that include rape and child endangerment, CNN affiliate WJW reported. Police in Madison Township, Ohio, revealed new details about the investigation to reporters Saturday.

Authorities began investigating in December, when York's wife called 911 to report a sexual offense, Detective Dan Boerner said. When detectives arrived, she told them she and her seven children wanted to leave the home.

Family members accused York of abusing them mentally and physically for more than a decade, Boerner said.

more at link (including scary mug shot!!)

My God!! What was this man thinking and why did it take his wife 10 years to call for help? Please charge this man for EVERY LAST chargeable offense!

I think it's called mind control. My guess is that it took an incredible amount of courage for that woman to make the call. Our reality is not her reality, it doesn't appear. My prayers are with her and the children. Ten years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    I think it's called mind control. My guess is that it took an incredible amount of courage for that woman to make the call. Our reality is not her reality, it doesn't appear. My prayers are with her and the children. Ten years!!
    You're exactly right, Missizzy. Unless you've been the victim of sexual, mental, physical or emotional abuse, you really can't fathom what goes on in the mind of the abuser, as well as the one being abused.

People in normal, healthy relationships can't understand why the abused person just doesn't pick up a phone to get help, or leave. They can't fathom how days and weeks and years of abuse can chip away at your self-esteem, and change your perception of reality -- when you're told day after day that you're worthless, that no one else would want you, that you're lucky that this person even keeps you around, when you're cut off socially from friends and family, and the abuser is your only source of social contact as well as information, after a while, their reality (what they're saying) becomes your reality (because it's all you're exposed to) and you start to believe it.

And yes, I'm a survivor of this type of abuse. For 12 years. I didn't leave for the reasons I mentioned above. I was cut off from my family and friends and lived in a cabin that had no running water or indoor plumbing, set far back from the road, out in the country. For the record, I was young and naiive when I got married, and never dreamed that we would be living in that cabin. When it became apparent that that was indeed where we would be living, I was too proud to admit I'd made a horrible mistake. I didn't have a car, and it was miles and miles to walk anywhere like the library or grocery store. But I was also suffering from anxiety attacks and agoraphobia at the time (no wonder!), so it's not surprising that I didn't venture off the property. It was only when I got a job in the outside world, and my perception and reality changed as I came into contact with normal, healthy people, that I was able to leave. I've never regretted that decision, and even now, almost 10 years later, I still struggle at times, but I have the support of a wonderful husband.
    Last edited by oh_gal; 09-05-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: clarification

oh_gal--Thank you so much for telling your story. You are a survivor indeed. I have never suffered abuse but I did have an over-controlling mother (who is a never healed victim of childhood sexual abuse herself). People who have not been controlled really can't understand. It's such a gradual and all-encompassing thing. Insidious like a creeping fog.

I didn't feel like my "own woman" until I was thirty-two and had five children. We moved away from my mother and the world just opened up for me. It was unbelievably freeing.

My heart just breaks for this woman as I'm sure she feels very responsible in many ways. To my mind she's really just as much a victim as the children. No doubt there were brutal tactics (physical, emotional, and sexual) used to control her. Thank you for reminding us of that.

I truly celebrate your awakening, oh_gal.

(((hugs)))

Missizzy

Oh Gal sending you (((((hugz))))) I am sorry for your pain.

Oh BTW this Jeffrey York? One might scary looking dude.