Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Canada - Kenora ON - Female Body in tent, June 2009

Canada - Kenora ON - Female Body in tent, June 2009

I have not been able to find any threads about this case.

http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=841

Overview: The remains of a lean, fit female were found in a wooded area in Kenora, Ontario, on June 17, 2009 in a small, one-person tent. There is an indication that this female had undergone some surgery on her face and Jaw that was well-healed. It is believed the female had been in the tent for approximately a week before being discovered. Found in the tent was a hard-cover, used copy of "A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby, and it included a bookmark from McNally-Robinson Bookstores.

Has anyone does any work on this case? It's very intriguing.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:

Map carried by deceased. Hand drawn pencil markings on map are very similar to the cutlines as revealed in the satellite image.

Book recovered - "A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby

http://www.missing-u.ca/Photos.aspx?PersonID=841

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Public’s help sought in ID’ing body

Ontario Provincial Police are turning to the public to help identify the body of a woman discovered more than a year ago.

The body was found in a small blue and white tent located in a wooded area near Miller Rapids Road in Kenora on June 17, 2009. Investigation revealed the body was at the site no longer than a week before being discovered.

Foul play is not a factor in the death, police said.

The woman is described as light-skinned, about 26 to 50 years old, 5-foot-3 to 5-foot-7, 105 to 115 pounds, with shoulder-length light brown hair.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/2010...-14459061.html

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post
    The woman is described as light-skinned, about 26 to 50 years old, 5-foot-3 to 5-foot-7, 105 to 115 pounds, with shoulder-length light brown hair.[/
    This is what confuses me about these investigations. The police have her body and the decomposition would have been minimal after a week. Why is there a 4 inch range in her height? Can't they just measure her?

That age range is also remarkable. Almost 25 years. This is typical of Canadian police investigations. They never want to release information to the public because it may "jeopardize an investigation". In this case, foul play is not suspected so why not release a composite sketch and some more accurate physical characteristics?

A lot of people have made allusion to this in other discussion boards. I'm not sure which method is better, but the practice of canadian police forces to keep all the information secret from the public is probably why there are so many missing people and unidentified decedents in Canada per capita than in the US.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    This is what confuses me about these investigations. The police have her body and the decomposition would have been minimal after a week. Why is there a 4 inch range in her height? Can't they just measure her?

That age range is also remarkable. Almost 25 years. This is typical of Canadian police investigations. They never want to release information to the public because it may "jeopardize an investigation". In this case, foul play is not suspected so why not release a composite sketch and some more accurate physical characteristics?

A lot of people have made allusion to this in other discussion boards. I'm not sure which method is better, but the practice of canadian police forces to keep all the information secret from the public is probably why there are so many missing people and unidentified decedents in Canada per capita than in the US.
    bbm

I hear you on that. It is frustrating and ridiculous. So many UID do not have a composite sketch. I mean how do we try to match them up. Many times I think WTH.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RubyRed For This Useful Post:

Bumping this case. This is fairly recent and there is so much information to go on. Surely someone can solve this.

As an FYI, Kenora, ON is within 100 miles of the US border. She may be American.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:

The book deals with suicide,perhaps explaining why L.E. have not provided a photo or sketch and possibly making height difficult to pinpoint if (sorry) death was result of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head.
    A Long Way Down
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
    A Long Way Down
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Long_Way_Down[/ame]

Author Nick Hornby
    Country United Kingdom
    Language English
    Publisher Riverhead Books
    Publication date 7 June 2005
    Media type Print (Hardcover and Paperback) & Audio CD
    Pages 352 pp
    ISBN ISBN 1573223026
    OCLC Number 56567128

A Long Way Down is a novel written by British author Nick Hornby, published in 2005. It is a dark comedy, playing off the themes of suicide, angst, depression and promiscuity.

The story is written in the first-person narrative from the points of view of the four main characters, Martin, Maureen, Jess and JJ. These four strangers happen to meet on the roof of a high building called Topper's House in London on New Year's Eve, each with the intent of committing suicide. Their plans for death in solitude, however, are ruined when they meet. The novel recounts their misadventures as they decide to come down from the roof alive - however temporarily that may be.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

The bag seems to be distributed in Hudson Bay stores.
    http://www.mapleleaftravel.ca/foldab...opziptravelbag

Maple Leaf Travel Accessories are available exclusively at The Bay and Zellers stores throughout Canada. You may use out store locator to find the location nearest you.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Looked through the listings on charleyproject for potential missing people in MN because Kenora is just north of the border and the only one who was even close is http://charleyproject.org/cases/p/pease_april.html. She's on the young side for age though. Her teeth don't look very straight in the smiley picture, but maybe she didn't wear her retainer.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buffetoflies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by buffetoflies View Post
    Looked through the listings on charleyproject for potential missing people in MN because Kenora is just north of the border and the only one who was even close is http://charleyproject.org/cases/p/pease_april.html. She's on the young side for age though. Her teeth don't look very straight in the smiley picture, but maybe she didn't wear her retainer.
    About a month ago, I submitted April Lee Pease's information to the OPP investigators. I haven't heard back yet but I'm not very optimistic about a match.

The suicide angle is one that I never considered before. You'd think that LE would put that information on her profile, but this is Canada and the police never release anything.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE if (sorry) death was result of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head..[/QUOTE]

When you look at the picture of the tent, I've always assumed that it was dirt on the ground. Could it be blood?

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:

Actually I do not think it is blood in the tent, but the sweater does look bloodstained (I think) I wonder if a closer look at the necklace would reveal where it was bought or made.It is obviously very difficult to compare the young lady (A.P.) to "the reader" but shadows seen on her cheek could actually be indented from teeth surgery of some sort or loss of teeth. Nick Hornby is a writer that is often popular with a younger, trendy type readership.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

The only reason I put forth the question about suicide is because that is the theme of the book found with the deceased. I think LE probably does not reveal that kind of info. out of respect to loved ones.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed View Post

The woman is described as light-skinned, about 26 to 50 years old, 5-foot-3 to 5-foot-7, 105 to 115 pounds, with shoulder-length light brown hair.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/2010...-14459061.html
    I think we're leaning more towards her being 50. Why do I say that? This is from the OPP site http://www.missing-u.ca/UIDetail.aspx?PersonID=841

"This unidentified female has undergone extensive maxillo-facial surgery, well before time of death, most likely in her early 20's (15 to 20 years ago). This procedure was likely done in a major center by a surgeon as it was less common then than it is now. The facial bones have been surgically cut and then moved and re-wired in both the upper and lower jaws resulting in changes to the individual's facial structure. The recovery from this procedure would have been a significant intrusion into the individual's life and would have included wiring of the jaws shut for several weeks. Furthermore, this individual most likely wore orthodontic braces during adolescence for some time prior to the surgery. The current state of the teeth show that the lower teeth remain crowded, and that there is evidence of an abscess and some dental work, as well as some periodontal disease. This is consistent with a person in the mid 40's to 50s. This female was a smoker and has evidence of staining on her lower teeth.

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Tom Friendly For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE if (sorry) death was result of a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head..
    When you look at the picture of the tent, I've always assumed that it was dirt on the ground. Could it be blood?[/quote]

More than that... check out the picture of the tent again. Notice how the whole back wall of the tent has been edited and replaced with solid grey colour?

30. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tom Friendly For This Useful Post:

April had 2 tattoos. The UI had none. The OPP site always lists tattoos on their UIs. They usually take pictures of the tattoos as well so its safe to say that this is not April Pease.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tom Friendly For This Useful Post:

No abandoned vehicles in the area? How did she get there. Hike in? Is the tent and her belongings enough to fit into that bag? She carried it there or was she dropped off. Bus routes? Hitchhiked into the area. With those specific clothes you would think that there would be the ability to put up a flyer in the area and say did you give a ride to this woman?

I am familiar with Kenora but not this specific road she was found nearby.

Any locals? Is this an area close to transportation? Or was it a decent hike for her to get in there?
    I can be changed by what happens to me. I refuse to be reduced by it. Maya Angelou

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saqqara For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by saqqara View Post
    No abandoned vehicles in the area? How did she get there. Hike in? Is the tent and her belongings enough to fit into that bag? She carried it there or was she dropped off. Bus routes? Hitchhiked into the area. With those specific clothes you would think that there would be the ability to put up a flyer in the area and say did you give a ride to this woman?

I am familiar with Kenora but not this specific road she was found nearby.

Any locals? Is this an area close to transportation? Or was it a decent hike for her to get in there?
    That area is close to a bunch of popular routes. The TransCanada and the major 658 North to name a few.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Friendly For This Useful Post:

Found in the tent was a hard-cover, used copy of "A Long Way Down" by Nick Hornby, and it included a bookmark from McNally-Robinson Bookstores.
    McNally-Robinson Bookstore only has 3 locations in neighboring provinces. 2 are in Winnipeg, Manitoba and 1 in Saskatoon Saskatchewan. There is a 4th in NYC but it's called "McNally Jackson" and I'm thinking that they probably wouldn't give out "McNally-Robinson" merchandise but who knows. Might be worth looking into missing N.Y. women.

Kenora is the gateway if you're traveling from Western Canada towards cities like Thunder Bay and eventually Toronto. It's a 2.5 hour drive from Winnipeg (where there is a McNally store) and is also in line with a longer drive from Saskatoon.

If the bag came from a Hudson Bay store the there are several in Winnipeg & Saskatoon Judging by the clean condition of her clothes and tent would it be safe to say that she wasn't homeless or travelling for a long time?

Checking over Western Canada Misper sites I only really found these vague matches:
    http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/...CKETT_Jody.pdf
    http://www.albertamissingpersons.ca/...AR_Monique.pdf

Could she be from states like MN, ND or anywhere North West USA?

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tom Friendly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    I think LE probably does not reveal that kind of info. out of respect to loved ones.
    Right now, there are no loved ones to respect. As long as they hold back info, they'll probably never identify her

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisB For This Useful Post:

This one maybe? https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/851/45/
    There is a 4 1/2 year gap there, and her face has a strange indent on the left, plus she's wearing glasses in the photo, and she's from Washington state.

Then this one I thought maybe a possibility: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7751/12/
    She left less than a month prior to this UID, but she did take her car. I learned in another thread recently that you didn't need a passport to cross over into Canada till June 1 2009, so she had 8 days to make it over.

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to buffetoflies For This Useful Post:

MandyLeigh is offline In Memory of my beautiful teacher Katherine Powell. Murdered by David Middleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Friendly View Post
    More than that... check out the picture of the tent again. Notice how the whole back wall of the tent has been edited and replaced with solid grey colour?
    You are right Tom, nice eye. I hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out.

Maybe this is why they couldn't do a facial sketch. She has a pretty distinct description though. I hope the surgery aspect helps family identify her, if anymore family exists.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MandyLeigh For This Useful Post:

MandyLeigh is offline In Memory of my beautiful teacher Katherine Powell. Murdered by David Middleton
    This one maybe? https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/851/45/
    There is a 4 1/2 year gap there, and her face has a strange indent on the left, plus she's wearing glasses in the photo, and she's from Washington state.

Then this one I thought maybe a possibility: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7751/12/
    She left less than a month prior to this UID, but she did take her car. I learned in another thread recently that you didn't need a passport to cross over into Canada till June 1 2009, so she had 8 days to make it over.
    I've heard of the first person you listed as she is from my state. I think it's a good possibility. She was very small, had no drivers license and a few of her top teeth stuck out. Only thing is she went missing in 2005. She did have chronic medical issues though.

Her Charley Project page with more information. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/o/ohana_lyn.html

46. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MandyLeigh For This Useful Post:

LMO,is slim enough to fit into size 6 petite jeans and the glasses are similar in shape,I wonder what size shoes she wore.

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dotr For This Useful Post:

tbh, I was thinking more along the lines of the 2nd one. She left with her car on May 23, and she had diabetes. The body was found on June 17, but was thought to have became a body a week before so around the 10th. If TM ran out of her medication in the 3 week interval she could have died from that.
    Last edited by buffetoflies; 10-02-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: improper use of comma

50. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffetoflies For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast