Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Australia - Kiesha Weippeart (Abrahams), 6, Sydney, 31 July 2010 - #2

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/kieshas-st...216-1oxnb.html

The stepfather of a six-year-old girl allegedly murdered in western Sydney more than a year ago has pleaded guilty to her manslaughter.

Smith is due to be sentenced in the Supreme Court in February.

Ms Abrahams did not appear in court and her matter was adjourned to Penrith on March 9.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fhc For This Useful Post:

kieshas stepfather robert smith faces court feb 3 2012

http://mt-druitt-standard.whereilive...r-faces-court/

Kiesha Weippearts' step-father faces court

3 Feb 12 @ 11:45am by Tyron Butson
    Kiesha Weippeart.

Kiesha Weippeart.

THE stepfather of murdered Mt Druitt girl Kiesha Weippeart pleaded guilty to her manslaughter during a brief court appearance today.

Robert Smith, 31, fronted Sydney’s Central Supreme Court today. He pleaded guiltily to one count of manslaughter and another count of being an accessory after the fact.

Last year the Department of Public Prosecution dropped a murder charge against him as part of a plea the Mt Druitt man struck.

Kiesha’s mother, Kristi Abrahams will face court in March next year over the 2010 murder.

Smith will be held in custody until an arraignment hearing on April 5.

EVENT TIMELINE

Saturday, July 31, 2010: Kiesha Weippeart goes to bed, the last time anyone sees her alive

Sunday, August 1: Mother Kristi Abrahams reports her missing; search begins, involving up to 100 police, dogs and SES volunteers

Monday, August 2: Family, police issue public appeal for anyone with information to come forward

Wednesday, August 11: Police called to Nurragingy Reserve, Doonside, after the discovery of human remains; body later confirmed as that of missing Carlingford woman

Sunday, August 29: St Bishoy Coptic Orthodox Church, Mt Druitt holds prayer service for Kiesha

Saturday, September 4: Hebersham West City Tigers under-12 rugby league dedicates grand final in Kiesha’s memory

Friday, October 1: Community candlelight vigil for Kiesha in Elizabeth Jonsson Reserve

Sunday, October 10: Public footsearch searches Prospect Reservoir and Doonside;

Wednesday, December 8: St Bishoy Church dedicates carols by candlelight to Kiesha

Wednesday, February 23, 2011: Plumpton filmmaker Saad Adam announces he will make a documentary about the mystery

Friday, April 22: Candlelight vigil marks Kiesha’s seventh birthday

1am, Friday, April 22: Kiesha’s mother Kristi Abrahams and step-father Robert Smith arrested in alley in Freya Cres, Shalvey. Taken to Mt Druitt Police and charged with her murder

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

kristi abrahams to face committal hearing july 16

Kiesha's mother to face committal hearing

March 09, 2012 12:04PM

THE mother of slain six-year-old Sydney girl Kiesha Weippeart will face a committal hearing later this year.

Kristi Anne Abrahams, 28, has been charged with murdering Kiesha, who was reported missing from her home at Mt Druitt in western Sydney on August 1, 2010.

The charges followed the finding of human remains in bushland at Mt Druitt on April 22, 2011.

Penrith Local Court was told today that both the prosecution and defence had agreed to a two-day hearing to decide whether Abrahams should go to trial.

It will re-examine evidence from two key witnesses.

The courtroom was reportedly packed with Kiesha's supporters, who were dressed in purple.

Kiesha's stepfather Robert Smith has formally entered guilty pleas to manslaughter and to being an accessory after the fact of murder.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

The committal hearing will start on July 16.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

from mt druitt standard kiesha 8th birthday vigil april 22

TODAY was supposed to be the day Kristi Abrahams faced court over the murder of her daughter Kiesha Weippeart.

Miss Abrahams did not appear via audio visual link in Penrith Court where she was expected to enter a plea. Instead a committal hearing has been set down for July.

Penrith Court room four was filled with detectives, family, media and people wearing the distinctive purple Kiesha shirts worn by members of the Children in Silence lobby group.

Two witnesses have been called to attend the two-day hearing on July 16 and 17.

Children in Silence lobby group president Alison Anderson said she knew Kiesha and would keep memories of the young girl with her as she fought for justice.

“It’s been a long delay but at the end of the day, it’s justice,” Ms Anderson said.

“It’s good to see them moving forward with the case. Like others in the community I have a lot of anger and frustration, but things are moving,” she said.

COMMUNITY VIGIL TO MARK KIESHA’S BIRTHDAY

APRIL 22 marks what would have been Kiesha’s eighth birthday.

Her extended family and friends have invited the community to attend a celebration on Sunday, April 22, at Shalvey. The gathering will meet at noon in the lane off Hammerli Way.

Attendees are asked to bring purple, pink and white balloons to mark the occasion.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

Upcoming Committal Hearing for Abrahams

Quote Originally Posted by bearbear View Post
    TODAY was supposed to be the day Kristi Abrahams faced court over the murder of her daughter Kiesha Weippeart.

Miss Abrahams did not appear via audio visual link in Penrith Court where she was expected to enter a plea. Instead a committal hearing has been set down for July.

Penrith Court room four was filled with detectives, family, media and people wearing the distinctive purple Kiesha shirts worn by members of the Children in Silence lobby group.

Children in Silence lobby group president Alison Anderson said she knew Kiesha and would keep memories of the young girl with her as she fought for justice.

“It’s been a long delay but at the end of the day, it’s justice,” Ms Anderson said.

“It’s good to see them moving forward with the case. Like others in the community I have a lot of anger and frustration, but things are moving,” she said.

Her extended family and friends have invited the community to attend a celebration on Sunday, April 22, at Shalvey. The gathering will meet at noon in the lane off Hammerli Way.

Attendees are asked to bring purple, pink and white balloons to mark the occasion.
    Thank you bearbear. The article by Gilshenan & Luton listed at the top of this link explains what a committal hearing is.

http://www.gnl.com.au/index.php?acti...pid=&view=3708

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crosby87 For This Useful Post:

What happened to the sentencing of the creep who killed Kiesha? And what about her public memorial?
    For Travis Alexander, a human being. Justice will prevail.

*Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gitana1 For This Useful Post:

KIESHA WEIPPEART CASE: Kristi Abrahams to face committal hearing in July

9 Mar 12 @ 11:20am
    The community farewelled young Mount Druitt girl Kiesha Weippeart at the Holy Family Church, Emerton, in October last year. Her mother Kristi Abrahams was expected today to make a plea on murder charges relating to her daughter's death.

The community farewelled young Mount Druitt girl Kiesha Weippeart at the Holy Family Church, Emerton, in October last year. Her mother Kristi Abrahams was expected today to make a plea on murder charges relating to her daughter's death. PICTURE: ISABELLA MOORE

http://mt-druitt-standard.whereilive...aring-in-july/

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

<snipped>

On February 3, 2012 Robert Smith formally entered guilty pleas to manslaughter and to being an accessory after the fact of murder after his murder charge was dropped.

Smith pleaded guilty to unlawfully killing Kiesha on or about July 13, 2010 at Mt Druitt.

He also admitted that between July 13, 2010 and April 2, 2011, knowing that Kristi Anne Abrahams had murdered Kiesha, he "received, harboured, maintained and assisted'' her."

http://www.news.com.au/national/kies...-1226262144124

So it appears Robert Smith is alleging both him and Kristi Abrahams murdered Kiesha.

Now that Robert has pleaded guilty to these two charges, his case will not proceed to trial so we won't know exactly what happened the day Kiesha was killed.

No date has been set for his sentencing but he faces up to 25 years in jail.

Kristi and Robert's 2 biological children were removed from their parents when LE heard they had made plans to visit Kiesha's makeshift gravesite on her birthday.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crosby87 For This Useful Post:

Robert Smith and Kristi Abrahams never took LDT IIRC.

RIP sweet Kiesha, I hope that those horrid people that hurt you are suffering in jail...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Humdinger For This Useful Post:

Committal hearing today, I hope it goes ahead this time, I have no idea what happened the last time. I want to see some progress, it seems to be taking forever.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BJsleuth For This Useful Post:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-1...42?section=nsw

The case is going straight to trial. Kristi waived the right to a committal. Does that mean she's pleading not guilty?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BJsleuth For This Useful Post:

i think it means she doesnt get the chance to plead, she will be going straight to trial as guilty of murder. about time!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

i think it means she doesnt get the chance to plead, she will be going straight to trial as guilty of murder. about time!
    I think it's an open and shut case, they should just go directly to sentencing.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BJsleuth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BJsleuth View Post
    I think it's an open and shut case, they should just go directly to sentencing.
    i wonder how many years she will be sentenced and if shes in protective custody still and when the trial will be? i think robert smith got 25yrs because he pleaded guilty to manslaughter?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

i wonder how many years she will be sentenced and if shes in protective custody still and when the trial will be? i think robert smith got 25yrs because he pleaded guilty to manslaughter?
    She's being tried for murder so she would have to get more than what RS did. I wonder if he will be a witness in Kristi's trial?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BJsleuth For This Useful Post:

I don't think Abrahams' partner Robert Smith who pled guilty to manslaughter and to being an accessory after the fact of murder has been sentenced yet.

Because he pled "guilty" there was no trial for him.

<snipped>

Kristi Abrahams made no bail application and will remain in custody until her Supreme Court trial in September.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crosby87 For This Useful Post:

more here from the daily telegraph, her trial sept 7th (sorry didnt realise you had already posted telegraph link)

Kiesha Weippeart's mother Kristi Abrahams to face murder trial after waiving right of committal hearing at Penrith Court

Evelyn Yamine
    The Daily Telegraph
    July 16, 2012 11:08AM

Kiesha Abrahams
    Kieshas family charged with mu...

Kiesha Abrahams

Allegedly murdered ... Keisha Weippeart was reported missing from her home in August last year. Picture: Supplied

THE woman charged with the murder of her daughter Kiesha Weippeart has waived her right for a committal trial today.

Kristi Anne Abrahams, 29, will now face a trial at the Supreme Court in Sydney on September 7.

Although Penrith Local Court was ready for it to proceed today, with the magistrate admitting to reading 17 large folders as part of the police brief, Abrahams' lawyers said they decided to waive the trial at the local level.

Abrahams was brought up to court for a short time but did not speak or make eye contact with anyone.

She did not apply for bail and it was formally refused.

Kiesha was reported missing from Mt Druitt by her mother and stepfather Robert Smith in August 2010 but it is alleged she was murdered in July.

Her remains were found in Shalvey in April last year.

Smith pleaded guilty to her manslaughter and being an accessory after the fact of murder and is currently before the courts.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226427006027
    Last edited by bearbear; 07-15-2012 at 10:17 PM. Reason: apology

35. The Following User Says Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesky#1 View Post
    I don't think Abrahams' partner Robert Smith who pled guilty to manslaughter and to being an accessory after the fact of murder has been sentenced yet.

Because he pled "guilty" there was no trial for him.

<snipped>

Kristi Abrahams made no bail application and will remain in custody until her Supreme Court trial in September.

oh, ok i thought i read somewhere he got 25 years? its really hard to find any info on him regarding this case. maybe i misread he could face up to 25 yrs for manslaughter when sentenced. i think he did a deal and provided them with evidence so guess he will turn on her and be a witness. you would think they'd just sentence her and not waste taxpayers money, but i guess at least we'lll finally hear what happened to kiesha with a trial. imagine it will be heartbreaking!

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

oh, ok i thought i read somewhere he got 25 years? its really hard to find any info on him regarding this case. maybe i misread he could face up to 25 yrs for manslaughter when sentenced. i think he did a deal and provided them with evidence so guess he will turn on her and be a witness. you would think they'd just sentence her and not waste taxpayers money, but i guess at least we'lll finally hear what happened to kiesha with a trial. imagine it will be heartbreaking!
    That's what made me think he'd done a deal because he hasn't been sentenced and how long he gets depends on how good a job he does testifying?

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BJsleuth For This Useful Post:

Ahh, so now it goes straight to Supreme Court in Sydney. Now I understand why she waived the committal. It's about getting a fair trial.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BJsleuth For This Useful Post:

That's what made me think he'd done a deal because he hasn't been sentenced and how long he gets depends on how good a job he does testifying?
    ok, so he wont be sentenced until after her trial.
    it doesnt seem right he should get a lesser sentence though, i think he should get the same as her, in my opinion, i think he was guilty of hurting kiesha in more ways than one while she was alive, and obviously never tried to protect her.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

ok, so he wont be sentenced until after her trial.
    it doesnt seem right he should get a lesser sentence though, i think he should get the same as her, in my opinion, i think he was guilty of hurting kiesha in more ways than one while she was alive, and obviously never tried to protect her.
    Yes, from all accounts he hit her on occasions quite forcefully. I suppose society expects more of the parent, particularly a mother when it comes to loving and protecting their chldren.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to BJsleuth For This Useful Post:

Yes, from all accounts he hit her on occasions quite forcefully. I suppose society expects more of the parent, particularly a mother when it comes to loving and protecting their chldren.
    true, and she was probably the one to finally kill her. so sad

47. The Following User Says Thank You to bearbear For This Useful Post:

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA16 For This Useful Post:

Page 24 of 36 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast