PA PA - John Thistlewood, 37, Philadelphia, 11 Sept 1992

Kat

Kind words do not cost much
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 442DMPA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/442dmpa.html

John Thistlewood
Missing since September 11, 1992 from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: August 20, 1955
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 37 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'0"; 210 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown eyes; brown hair. He had a thick mustache at the time.
•Clothing: He last seen wearing a red silk shirt, black jeans and black sneakers.
•Vehicle: He was driving a white, 1992 Ford Expo with 2-doors. Pennsylvania license Number XTX633.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Thistlewood stopped by his family members residence and dropped his two children off with them on September 11, 1992 at 19:30. He stated that he would be back shortly. He never returned to collect his children.
John's son John Thistlewood Jr. was murdered in South Philadelphia in August 2006.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Philadelphia Police Department
South Detective Division
215-686-3013 / 215-686-3014

NCIC Number:
M-605222315
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Philadelphia Police Department
abc 6

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/t/thistlewood_john.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7228/0/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: NA
DNA: NA
Fingerprints: NA

No archived articles for John. He is mentioned in several about his son John Thistlewood Jr.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=4492714
One example, August 24, 2006

John has been missing almost 18 years. Come home soon.

Attachments

• John Thistlewood.bmp
    45.2 KB · Views: 18
There's so little info out there regarding this case, but I just wanted to make some observations.

The Doe Network has since updated their info to say John dropped his kids off at 8:30 p.m., not 7:30 p.m. as was quoted above. The Charley Project, however, still says 7:30 p.m.

The Charley Project also adds that John "was known to frequent the Wildwood, New Jersey area in 1992." I can't decide whether this info was released because LE knows something, or if they're just throwing it out there because they have nothing. Wildwood, NJ is almost a 2-hour drive away from his last known location. To me, that doesn't jive with his reported statement that "he would return shortly to pick up the children."

He was last seen on September 11, 1992, "wearing a red silk shirt, black jeans and black sneakers." To me, that sounds like a going-out outfit, like maybe to go on a date—especially since this was a Friday night. Was he married? Separated? Divorced? The fact he was dropping off his kids at his family's makes me think the kids' mom (or her family) was not in the picture. But maybe she had to work or was otherwise unavailable, and her family didn't live in the area. The red silk shirt, though, doesn't sound like what most guys would wear to go have beers with buddies at a bar. He was dressed to impress.

Could John have had an affair with a married/taken woman, and her man surprised them both and retaliated against him? Could he have gone out on a date, had a little too much to drink and crashed into the nearby Delaware River, or some other body of water or hidden ditch? Or could he have met with unrelated foul play either on the way to or from his destination?

To me, the key points are 1) the evening outfit, 2) the missing car, 3) the short time he said he'd be back in. I don't think he intended to go far.

There's so little info out there regarding this case, but I just wanted to make some observations.

The Doe Network has since updated their info to say John dropped his kids off at 8:30 p.m., not 7:30 p.m. as was quoted above. The Charley Project, however, still says 7:30 p.m.

The Charley Project also adds that John "was known to frequent the Wildwood, New Jersey area in 1992." I can't decide whether this info was released because LE knows something, or if they're just throwing it out there because they have nothing. Wildwood, NJ is almost a 2-hour drive away from his last known location. To me, that doesn't jive with his reported statement that "he would return shortly to pick up the children."

He was last seen on September 11, 1992, "wearing a red silk shirt, black jeans and black sneakers." To me, that sounds like a going-out outfit, like maybe to go on a date—especially since this was a Friday night. Was he married? Separated? Divorced? The fact he was dropping off his kids at his family's makes me think the kids' mom (or her family) was not in the picture. But maybe she had to work or was otherwise unavailable, and her family didn't live in the area. The red silk shirt, though, doesn't sound like what most guys would wear to go have beers with buddies at a bar. He was dressed to impress.

Could John have had an affair with a married/taken woman, and her man surprised them both and retaliated against him? Could he have gone out on a date, had a little too much to drink and crashed into the nearby Delaware River, or some other body of water or hidden ditch? Or could he have met with unrelated foul play either on the way to or from his destination?

To me, the key points are 1) the evening outfit, 2) the missing car, 3) the short time he said he'd be back in. I don't think he intended to go far.
I agree with you, it could have been a date but... what if it was something related to drugs? I imagine he didn't want her family to find out... but you're right, some angry husband or a date that ends very badly...
either way
rest in peace

I agree with you, it could have been a date but... what if it was something related to drugs? I imagine he didn't want her family to find out... but you're right, some angry husband or a date that ends very badly...
either way
rest in peace
I thought about drugs too, but I just keep coming back to his outfit. A red silk shirt doesn't sound like something you'd wear to visit a drug dealer, especially since that might draw more attention. But who knows? Maybe the clothes are from a prior engagement that day and he just didn't want to change?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back