695 users online (94 members and 601 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Shailesh Raghuveer Prabhu, 29, Santa Cruz, 14 Sept 1999

The Doe Network:
    Case File 3593DMCA

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3593dmca.html

Shailesh Raghuveer Prabhu
    Missing since September 14, 1999 from Santa Cruz, California
    Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Date Of Birth: August 6, 1970
    •Age at Time of Disappearance: 29 years old
    •Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'3"; 190 lbs.
    •Distinguishing Characteristics: Asian male. Indian. Black hair; black eyes. Medium complexion. Glasses with black frames. Mustache.
    •Marks, Scars: Scar on left arm.
    •Clothing/Jewelry: Blue, knit T-shirt, black pants. Gold chain with three lockets, gold ring on right hand with nine jewels, gold ring on left hand with diamonds.
    •Medical: Clinically-depressed. Was on antidepressants at the time. May be disoriented.
    •Dentals: Available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Shailesh Prabhu, a software engineer at Interbase in Santa Cruz, California went to work on the morning of September 14 and did not come home.

He had planned to go to the temple in the evening for the puja celebration, with his wife. That morning, he called from work and reminded his wife about the Hindu Ganesh festival in Sunnyvale that night.
    At 18.30, when he still had not called home, his wife called his office every few minutes but got no response. His wife called the San Jose police and began her own search. At work, his computer was on. His email program was open. His voice mail unanswered. His satchel was on his chair.

His vehicle was later located on September 17, parked near the Golden Gate Bridge. His wallet and credit cards were on the passenger seat, intact. There was no note, and no witnesses. The Coast Guard has not found any evidence of someone jumping off the bridge within that time frame.

Prabhu had been struggling with severe depression for years, and was on antidepressants at the time. If he stopped taking them, it would result in severe mood swings, disorientation and possible memory loss. Prabhu's wife said he told her he would never take his life. She said he's never wandered away before. Shailesh, from India, was on an H-1 visa. He had been married to his wife for seven months. He had just been promoted at his job.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

San Jose Police Department
    408-277-4786

Agency Case Number: 99-258-0040

Source Information:
    National Center for Missing Adults
    CA DOJ
    Rediff on the Net

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._shailesh.html

Shailesh is not listed in NamUs at this time.

http://www.rediff.com/news/1999/nov/02us.htm
    November 2, 1999

"It's not unusual for an adult to disappear but then they usually reappear somewhere, with another job, another partner. This has not happened here. He has just, simply disappeared of the face of the earth," said Detective Craig Tarr of the San Jose Police Department.
    More at link.
    Attached Images Attached Images

He was recently added to NamUs. Shailesh has been missing for 16 years now.
    Last edited by JusticeWillBeServed; 09-15-2015 at 05:10 AM.

Definitely sounds like a suicide to me and his body has never been located.

I've read about several cases of depressed people who parked their cars near Golden Gate Bridge but there's no evidence they ever jumped. Just because nobody witnessed a suicide, no body has been found etc. doesn't mean nobody jumped, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnoliaMountain View Post
    Definitely sounds like a suicide to me and his body has never been located.

I've read about several cases of depressed people who parked their cars near Golden Gate Bridge but there's no evidence they ever jumped. Just because nobody witnessed a suicide, no body has been found etc. doesn't mean nobody jumped, IMO.

The one aspect that I can't ignore is that he called his wife during the day to remind her about an event that evening. That kind of specific planning for the immediate future would be rare for someone who is going to commit suicide, no?

Although I agree about the no witnesses thing doesn't prove that someone didn't jump. Today I believe, the Golden Gate Bridge is heavily monitored (for jumpers) but I'm not sure about 1999.