1008 users online (213 members and 795 guests)  

Websleuths News

Newborn's Body Found In Backpack

Newborn's Body Found In Backpack

BOYNE CITY, Mich. -- Police in northern Lower Michigan say they have found a newborn baby's dead body inside a backpack.

WWTV-WWUP reports the backpack was delivered to police after it was found in the bushes of a yard in Boyne City on Tuesday afternoon.

When police opened it, they found plastic bags and the infant's body.

An autopsy is scheduled in Grand Rapids.

No further details have been released. A message seeking comment was left Wednesday with Boyne City police.

An investigation is ongoing.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24927517/detail.html

Are we so used to these stories now that we no longer have anything to say? We have lost a tiny human being who should have been loved and cherished. It upsets me that the dehumanization continues in articles like these as we are rarely ever told a gender. It's just a "baby" or a "newborn" or sometimes even a "fetus" still, even though obviously born. It's not a thing, it is a person with a gender and should be given a name, even if not official. A soul has been created and destroyed in the blink of an eye. Rest in peace, little one. You should have been cherished. I'm so sorry you suffered such indignity and cruelty. I hope your parents are discovered and justice will be done for your sake.

http://record-eagle.com/local/x88594...nd-in-backpack

More details and a synopsis of recent similar cases from the region and charges brought in this article.

suzyq211 is offline Someone knows what happened to Robert Harrod!
    Poor little thing...how sad :-(
    Robert Harrod will be found.

All my posts are MOO and nothing but MOO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mom2six View Post
    Are we so used to these stories now that we no longer have anything to say? We have lost a tiny human being who should have been loved and cherished. It upsets me that the dehumanization continues in articles like these as we are rarely ever told a gender. It's just a "baby" or a "newborn" or sometimes even a "fetus" still, even though obviously born. It's not a thing, it is a person with a gender and should be given a name, even if not official. A soul has been created and destroyed in the blink of an eye. Rest in peace, little one. You should have been cherished. I'm so sorry you suffered such indignity and cruelty. I hope your parents are discovered and justice will be done for your sake.
    I think we have become detached from anything newborn or "fetus related". I will be blasted for this but it's my personal opinion that the attitude and justification of abortion - that a fetus is a glob of cells and not really human untl it's born and takes a breath -has slowly crept into the newborn arena. Babies are seen as a cramp in the lifestyle and something to be disposed of.

Blast away. I am pro-choice BTW. I just think the ATTITUDE that has come along with legal abortion has perverted itself as these things sometimes do. It used to be so tabu to get one - and only done under extreme circumstances. Now it's just OK and no sweat. So who cares if a newborn doesn't make it? People don't want kids. Choice. Not saying it's right, just saying it could be a product of our attitudes.

Ziggy,
    I totally agree with you. I would go so far as to say that the attitude has affected how we treat other human beings in many areas, especially those who are weaker than average, whether that is age, size, disability.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I think we have become detached from anything newborn or "fetus related". I will be blasted for this but it's my personal opinion that the attitude and justification of abortion - that a fetus is a glob of cells and not really human untl it's born and takes a breath -has slowly crept into the newborn arena. Babies are seen as a cramp in the lifestyle and something to be disposed of.

Blast away. I am pro-choice BTW. I just think the ATTITUDE that has come along with legal abortion has perverted itself as these things sometimes do. It used to be so tabu to get one - and only done under extreme circumstances. Now it's just OK and no sweat. So who cares if a newborn doesn't make it? People don't want kids. Choice. Not saying it's right, just saying it could be a product of our attitudes.
    I don't think you're that far off, Ziggy. There have been a number of stories lately in Europe as well. The woman in France and then there was a woman in the Netherlands (sorry, have no link anymore, it was in a Belgian newspaper) where they found the remains of 3 or 4 babies in a shed. She was an unmarried woman and nobody ever noticed she was pregnant (??? - that's something I find difficult to believe, but maybe that's just me).
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple. - Oscar Wilde

Whoa! That's rather refreshing. I'm usually burned at the stake for those comments! I'm sure it's coming but I will stand by my sentiments.

We do tend to act as if anything that is inconvenient to us, whether it be people or animals or things, can be easily tossed aside. Perhaps our me generation, instant gratification lifestyle is to blame as well, but abortion fits right in with that theme. Now if only if could be a drive through.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2six View Post
    You are right, and I feel ashamed. My first thought was simply that it was sad and I hope whoever did it was caught. It didn't even occur to me that no info on gender or anything else had been released. To me it was just "a newborn" and I never stopped to wonder more. Shame on me. I hope somebody does give the baby a name.

Michaela Garecht | Misty Copsey | Scott Kleeschulte | Kyron Horman | Baby Kate | Mickey Shunick

i wonder if she/he was stillborn?? that is the only thing im consoling myself with( theroy=mom was young maybe on drugs/ baby was stillborn, didnt want to have the body tested to see if any toxic substances are in their system..woman/girl could get some kind of ( manslaughter? some lesser degree of murder, or some form of child abuse?forgive my legal ignorrance of what this could be classified as?) iirc other moms whos kids stillborn as result of pre-natal drug exposure have done some time? im sure other inmates wont look kindly at those prisoners...
    i could be wrong and the baby born alive more sinister...
    just so so sad either way.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/mostpo...12/detail.html

mother found but thats about all this says.

eta:
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100910-wpms

says the same. just wanted to add.
    Last edited by TobyWong*; 09-11-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: add 2nd link

That's a rather odd update... she gave birth sometime over the summer? I wonder how long this poor little one was waiting to be found.