WI WI - Joseph Kargol, 32, Mosinee, 3 June 1973

Claudette

Reaction score
I was looking for cold case, unsolved, UID, etc webpages for Illinois and Wisconsin and came across this one:

http://marathoncounty.crimestoppersweb.com/custom.aspx?p=3

The second case is a very cold one. Here is the info (picture included in link):

On June 3, 1973, Joseph W. Kargol was found beaten to death outside of Mosinee, WI near the Wisconsin River, in Marathon County. Kargol was last seen at a tavern in Schofield, WI. Kargol, of Rothschild, WI was 32 years old at the time of his death.

If you have any information regarding this case, call the Marathon County Sheriff's Department at 715-261-1200 or Marathon County Crime Stoppers at 800-559-4203

I'm not having much luck finding ANY info on him except for articles I would have to pay for. Anyone else have any luck?

I am able to read this little snippet from newspaperarchives.com but that's it:

"The death of Joseph Kargol of whose body was found on the banks of the Wisconsin River Sunday was ruled a homicide Kargol who would have been 33 Monday lived with his father and was last seen late Saturday at the famil"

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...mYaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ASwEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3884,2795727

The Milwaukee Journal, Oct 27, 1989, page 12:

A couple sought in the slaying of a woman whose nude body was tossed off a cliff in Oregon on Oct. 7 (1989) were arrested late Thursday in a Green Bay (WI) restaurant.

Authorities in Oregon identified the suspects as Randy Charles Bockorny and his wife, Debra Lynn Bockorny, 34. In Oregon, the Clackamas County Sheriff's Department said the two were sought for murder in the death of Deborah Sue Spicer, 27, of Gresham, Ore., a Portland suburb.
The article goes on to state they were seen dumping a nude body of a woman off a cliff. The article says a vehicle sought was a 1976 Ford van with Wisconsin plates. The article also states that Randy Bockorny was from the Antigo area. The woman died of stab wounds and trauma from the fall down the 70 foot cliff.

I'm almost certain the police are aware that Bockorny is in prison and are now concentrating their efforts on John "no middle name or age" Largess

<modsnip>

The link in my earlier post does mention Randy Bockorney as being one of two suspects in this murder. It also mentions Harold Bean as being a primary investigator. I am familiar with another case in which Harold Bean participated in the investigation and in this other case the investigation ignored physical evidence and relied primarily on circumstantial evidence testified to by witnesses of questionable integrity and veracity. It appears from the news report above that they had no physical evidence to tie Bockorney to this murder, and were not even certain that Kargol had even met Bockorney.

The main "evidence" seemed to be that Bockorney had gotten in a previous fight with someone else, that he was from out of the area, that he might have been at the same bar as Kargol on the night of the murder, and that he had a felony conviction which would make a second conviction easier. This does not seem convincing roof pto me, but it is similar to the methods used by Det. Bean in another case I am reviewing in Marathon County. I had one witness in my other case, who felt his family was being unfairly harassed by Det. Bean, claim that when he questioned Bean about why his family had been singled out for harassment, Bean responded with, "We gotta hang someone."

If Kargol was indeed gay as the investigation seemed to indicate, then it may have been a hate crime, with lots of potential suspects. At that time in Central Wisconsin, there was not very much sympathy towards males of alternative sexual persuasions. The report from WSAW mentioned in my prior link included crime scene videos and a mention that the case file had been given to the reporter for review. An aluminum Coke can is shown but never mentioned and also someone is seen looking at a fingerprint. All these are hopeful signs that this case might actually be solved and the true murderer found. This young man deserves some justice and it appears, now, to be on a better track.

The link in my earlier post does mention Randy Bockorney as being one of two suspects in this murder. It also mentions Harold Bean as being a primary investigator. I am familiar with another case in which Harold Bean participated in the investigation and in this other case the investigation ignored physical evidence and relied primarily on circumstantial evidence testified to by witnesses of questionable integrity and veracity. It appears from the news report above that they had no physical evidence to tie Bockorney to this murder, and were not even certain that Kargol had even met Bockorney.

The main "evidence" seemed to be that Bockorney had gotten in a previous fight with someone else, that he was from out of the area, that he might have been at the same bar as Kargol on the night of the murder, and that he had a felony conviction which would make a second conviction easier. This does not seem convincing roof pto me, but it is similar to the methods used by Det. Bean in another case I am reviewing in Marathon County. I had one witness in my other case, who felt his family was being unfairly harassed by Det. Bean, claim that when he questioned Bean about why his family had been singled out for harassment, Bean responded with, "We gotta hang someone."

If Kargol was indeed gay as the investigation seemed to indicate, then it may have been a hate crime, with lots of potential suspects. At that time in Central Wisconsin, there was not very much sympathy towards males of alternative sexual persuasions. The report from WSAW mentioned in my prior link included crime scene videos and a mention that the case file had been given to the reporter for review. An aluminum Coke can is shown but never mentioned and also someone is seen looking at a fingerprint. All these are hopeful signs that this case might actually be solved and the true murderer found. This young man deserves some justice and it appears, now, to be on a better track.

Plus, he was found with a board over his head. Usually if a murder victims face is covered, it's because the murderer knew them. They determined the wooden board was not the murder weapon, so I think the intent of it was to "hide" him.

Most, if not all, of the links above are no longer valid. Here are some that might shed new light on the case...

Attachments

• kargollog.jpg
    kargollog.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 0
  • kargolride.jpg
    kargolride.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
  • kargol2.jpg
    kargol2.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 0
  • kargol.jpg
    kargol.jpg