2010.06.13 Kyron's case turns to Criminal investigation-Why?

butterfly1978

Reaction score
Police leading the search for a 7-year-old Oregon boy who disappeared from his school 10 days ago announced today that their effort is now focused on a criminal investigation.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/kyron-horman-search-now-criminal-investigation/story?id=10903721

Why did they ramp up the search for Kyron and 3 days later abruptly halt the search and call it a criminal investigation, yet continue to search Sauvi Island, and ask for video from certain locations but not others?
Why was this not a criminal investigation from day one or was this a dual effort?

Police leading the search for a 7-year-old Oregon boy who disappeared from his school 10 days ago announced today that their effort is now focused on a criminal investigation.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/kyron-horman-search-now-criminal-investigation/story?id=10903721

Why did they ramp up the search for Kyron and 3 days later abruptly halt the search and call it a criminal investigation, yet continue to search Sauvi Island, and ask for video from certain locations but not others?
Why was this not a criminal investigation from day one or was this a dual effort?

Maybe some evidence came to light?

Maybe some evidence came to light?

But what kind of evidence would make them call off the ground search, and only search one location and want video from about 10 diffrent roads?

My eyes are going crossed I gotta go to bed, Night folks. Night Kyron.

I think that they were investigating concurrent with the search. I think that the declaration that they made last Sunday was a shift for public information purposes, but that a criminal investigation has been going on since Kyron was reported missing.

JMO.

I don't know where to put this question but I want to know why the school didn't contact the parents to let them know that their son was missing from school? From what I've read they discovered he was missing when he didn't arrive home on the school bus! It was discovered in the morning I believe that he wasn't with the rest of the students in his room. I just can't believe the parents weren't notified. Hours were wasted in searching for this little guy when the school didn't say anything and the parents didn't know he was missing.

I really wonder if he went missing in the school hallway. It just seems that there is something missing in this story.

I don't know where to put this question but I want to know why the school didn't contact the parents to let them know that their son was missing from school? From what I've read they discovered he was missing when he didn't arrive home on the school bus! It was discovered in the morning I believe that he wasn't with the rest of the students in his room. I just can't believe the parents weren't notified. Hours were wasted in searching for this little guy when the school didn't say anything and the parents didn't know he was missing.

I really wonder if he went missing in the school hallway. It just seems that there is something missing in this story.

This particular school did not have an auto-dialer system in place to notify parents of absences, nor did they have a policy of calling parents manually when children were absent. According to the school, Kyron was not present at roll call the morning of June 4th, so the teacher marked him absent. Policy did not require a call to parents under those circumstances.

Also according to the school, 2 teachers saw him with his SM and thought he had left with her, so they thought no more about it. The school did not consider Kyron "missing" because the teachers thought he left with SM.

This article does a pretty good job summing up Kyron's case. One part of the article piqued my interest, as I had forgotten about what exactly caused the case to turn from a "missing persons" investigation to a "criminal" investigation.

In my opinion, the case had been a criminal case since shortly after Kyron disappeared, in that someone must have committed a crime when it became obvious that Kyron hadn't just walked off from school. So I feel certain that LE were investigating the potential criminal aspect of Kyron's disappearance from early after he went missing.

But why the sudden public turn of face for LE on June 13th, even to the point of sending SAR teams home? What happened on that weekend?

Interested in opinions and sourced info on this. Anything you think, please post. Anything with source articles, please post.

Thanks.

The snippet:

On Friday, June 11, Kyron's parents and step-parents appeared together and the two fathers spoke, begging for Kyron's safe return. On Web sites and social networks, readers commented on Terri Horman's demeanor at the press conference: Sobs, but no tears, and awkward body language.

The first inkling that the investigation turned bad was a simple one. On the following Sunday, the sheriff's office asked the public to hold off on donations for the the searchers. Hours later, police said his disappearance was a criminal case and sent most searchers home.

Thank you!! I've been thinking this was a HUGE pivotal point in the case myself, which is why the case review thread (thanks BeanE..you ROCK!) has been so helpful. I've been particularly interested in and focused on what happened, was investigated, was found, etc. up to that point.

I think it is a combination of the facts that they could not find him in what seemed to be a reasonable distance had he wandered, with the fact that they could not clear a family member. I don't think they had anything solid to go on in naming it a criminal case, but if not accidental, what else can they call it? There are not many choices available.

On at least one occasion (and I'm thinking more than once), LE stated they were doing simultaneous investigations, they didn't just *start* investigating it as a crime when they made this announcement on 6/13. They'd been doing so all along.

listening to the pc from june 5 and 6, le implies (twice) they are running a missing person case and an investigative case.

at a point in time the search had to come to a close. either by finding kyron or by a time limit put on by le.

the evening of sunday june 13th was that time limit.

and le became comfortable enough to call the investigative case criminal as opposed to having its investigative case be regarded as maybe accidental.

all jmo of course.

Terrific topic, Pufnstuf!

I'm curious too and also curious as to why there seems to be so many different agencies involved in this case. I'm going to be interested in what all you more experienced Sleuthers have to say!

Thank you, Pufnstuf!

STATEMENT FROM CAPT. MONTE REISER:

Good afternoon. I am Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Captain Monte Reiser. We're here today with Kyron's family. Again, they are not prepared to answer questions today -- but they wanted to show their support for the ongoing operations.

Kyron's family has received a large shipment of Kyron's missing-person T-shirts that they would like to provide to the community. The shirts will be available on a first-come, first-served basis at the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Hansen Building, located at 12240 NE Glisan Street in Portland, Oregon. T-shirts will be available at 3 p.m. today.

Also, Sheriff Dan Staton is going to make a statement shortly -- but I want to start with an update on the logistics of the search for Kyron.

We are on Day 10 of the search. As of this afternoon, the search-and-rescue crews will have completed the mission that we set out for them. And that mission was to search -- and in many cases search two or three or more times -- EVERY location of interest. That includes an extremely wide area of land around the school, around the home and the land in-between. It also includes a number of individual locations that have come up as a result of tips and investigative leads that we have been working.

snip

With the search-and-rescue mission completed at this time, we are moving operations toward the criminal investigative end of the spectrum. While we still are keeping all options open, it is a natural progression to move the overall focus to a criminal case.

http://www.mcso.us/public/newsroom.htm

Explained in the presser and release that day.

Search and rescue = live child. The period of time in which Kyron could have survived if he'd just wandered off on his own had expired, and with no signs he'd wandered off - and no signs of what had happened to him - LE proceeds to a crime having been committed, to Kyron having been removed from the school, without his parents' consent, which is a crime.

Standard procedure so far as I understand.

I think they called in assistance from all possible agencies as they did not, and still don't know, what they have, whether it is a kidnapping, a smuggling situation, some kind of organized crime thing, whatever. I think they were just trying to cover all the bases in such an unusual disappearance. It is fairly clear now, that LE has determined this to be more of close-to-home abduction, but they obviously don't know what happened to Kyron or have any idea where he is, so I would imagine they are still open to help from any and all as far as that goes. Knowing the who, in this case, is not going to solve it.

Explained in the presser and release that day.

Search and rescue = live child. The period of time in which Kyron could have survived if he'd just wandered off on his own had expired, and with no signs he'd wandered off - and no signs of what had happened to him - LE proceeds to a crime having been committed, to Kyron having been removed from the school, without his parents' consent, which is a crime.

Standard procedure so far as I understand.

No, I don't agree. Kyron could have walked off and died of exposure or dehydration, and his body may not have been found yet. It had only been a little over a week since he had disappeared when the investigation turned criminal.

I really don't think that it was a "natural progression" to go from calling in SAR teams all over two states to participate in the search, to request donations for food, water, money, and then to suddenly say that the case was now criminal and SAR teams were being sent home. If I remember correctly, the fact that hundreds of SAR teams were pouring into Mult Co. and were going to search every inch of land in a five-mile radius of Skyline was the plan. But suddenly they were sent home--and Kyron still had not been found.

To me, something happened that caused LE to decisively state that the case was now criminal on June 13. I really really wonder what that "something" was.

The case that I find comparable is the Emmett Trap case.

He was two years old, and his body was found three miles from his home. He was barefoot and wearing a diaper when he disappeared. And he walked THREE MILES--two years old, barefoot, through all kinds of rough terrain.

Searchers started looking for him on a Monday night. He was found Thursday morning. He was only two and had walked 3 miles... hate to keep reiterating that, but that's a LOT of ground for a barefoot 2-year-old to cover.

Kyron was seven, dressed, in shoes when he disappeared. Ten days later (+/-) SAR teams were dispersed and his case was announced to now be criminal.

I don't think that it became criminal simply because they had not found him yet, therefore, it must be an abduction.

I think his case became criminal because something happened on that June 11-13 weekend to cause a sudden shift--a shift that was announced to the public, a shift that resulted in SAR teams being sent home.

After June 13, SAR teams were seen in places where tips came in, as I recall. So there were a few local SAR folks in the field after June 13, but they were targeting Sauvie Island, and a cadaver dog was seen on a boat on the Columbia.

The huge thing to me is that SAR teams were sent home as soon as the case became publicly criminal. I don't think that's typical in missing persons cases. MOO.

No, I don't agree. Kyron could have walked off and died of exposure or dehydration, and his body may not have been found yet. It had only been a little over a week since he had disappeared when the investigation turned criminal.

I really don't think that it was a "natural progression" to go from calling in SAR teams all over two states to participate in the search, to request donations for food, water, money, and then to suddenly say that the case was now criminal and SAR teams were being sent home. If I remember correctly, the fact that hundreds of SAR teams were pouring into Mult Co. and were going to search every inch of land in a five-mile radius of Skyline was the plan. But suddenly they were sent home--and Kyron still had not been found.

To me, something happened that caused LE to decisively state that the case was now criminal on June 13. I really really wonder what that "something" was.

BBM. As I said, with no signs he'd wandered off, or of anything else, a decision has to be made on what most likely happened to the child, and which direction the investigation is going to take. They can't just say "Oh well, maybe he'd died out there somewhere and maybe his body will turn up some day." They have to account for what happened to the child, account for what they do next.

There's lots of info out there on the net on the process. I'll see if I can spend some time tomorrow to gather a few references.

BBM. As I said, with no signs he'd wandered off, or of anything else, a decision has to be made on what most likely happened to the child, and which direction the investigation is going to take. They can't just say "Oh well, maybe he'd died out there somewhere and maybe his body will turn up some day." They have to account for what happened to the child, account for what they do next.

There's lots of info out there on the net on the process. I'll see if I can spend some time tomorrow to gather a few references.

Yeah, I get that... I agree to a point. My big question is what happened on June 11-13 that necessitated a public announcement that SAR teams were being dismissed and the case was now criminal.

I think the only thing that you and I disagree on is that you think it was the next logical step to send SAR home and call it a criminal investigation, and I think that something triggered sending SAR home and calling it a criminal investigation. Not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to lay out where I think you and I disagree...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in stating what you think.

Yeah, I get that... I agree to a point. My big question is what happened on June 11-13 that necessitated a public announcement that SAR teams were being dismissed and the case was now criminal.

I think the only thing that you and I disagree on is that you think it was the next logical step to send SAR home and call it a criminal investigation, and I think that something triggered sending SAR home and calling it a criminal investigation. Not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to lay out where I think you and I disagree...feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in stating what you think.

I was looking today at a pretty good timeline on thehinkymeter.com. It's linked in, in a PDF file. Maybe looking at that where all the info on what happened in that timeframe is put together would help surface what might have influenced LE to 'go criminal' at that particular point.

I did notice in looking it over that a couple things were missing, but I can't recall right off if they were in that specific timeframe. I'll have to look again.

I was looking today at a pretty good timeline on thehinkymeter.com. It's linked in, in a PDF file. Maybe looking at that where all the info on what happened in that timeframe is put together would help surface what might have influenced LE to 'go criminal' at that particular point.

I did notice in looking it over that a couple things were missing, but I can't recall right off if they were in that specific timeframe. I'll have to look again.

BeanE, you're proclivity for detail and facts deserve a gold medal...I bet you were an extraordinary baby! lol ....bby with book.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back