964 users online (141 members and 823 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

IL - FBI busts child prostitution ring, girls 13-17 branded, Chicago

http://wbbm.cbslocal.com/2010/09/09/...titution-ring/

FBI busts men in child prostitution ring

"The Chicago FBI says girls as young as 13 were forced into a West Side prostitution ring – and now authorities have arrested two men accused of being ringleaders, while a third man is still wanted.

The FBI here says as many as nine girls – all between the ages of 13 and 17 – were forced into prostitution and branded with tattoos...."

and

"...FBI spokesman Ross Rice says the prostitution ring was based on the West Side, operated from the home of alleged leader Datqunn Sawyer of the 5300 block of West Potomac – or from his mother’s home. Rice says Sawyer is being held without bond, charged with federal felony counts: sexual trafficking of minors in interstate commerce.

[B]Rice says Sawyer used “violence and threats of violence” to enforce his rules – and advertised the prostitution ring on Craigslist...."[/B]

more at link

The story is always the same. Luring vulnerable young girls, stealing their identities, moving them constantly, forcing up to 20 "tricks" on them each day, taking all the proceeds, and branding them so no other pimp can use them. The sad story of human trafficking. If the girls are rescued before 18, they can qualify for some services. After 18, regardless of the past history and regardless of any challenges they might have, they are on their own. More details and names of the arrested:

http://chicago.fbi.gov/pressrel/pres.../cg090910a.htm

"DATQUNN SAWYER, age 31, of Chicago, was arrested..."

"Two other men, WAYMOND ORR, age 30, and KEVIN SHARP, age 51, both of Chicago, were also charged in connection with this investigation. Both men were charged in Cook County Circuit Court with one count each of pandering, which is a class 4 felony. SHARP was arrested this morning, without incident, while ORR remains at-large and is now the subject of a nationwide manhunt....

and

"...SAWYER is believed to have advertised his business through the Internet, making extensive use of Craigslist and similar online media, charging anywhere from $150 to as much as $350 for sexual services. SAWYER is alleged to have kept all of the proceeds from the sexual encounters, providing his prostitutes with only minimal subsistence....."

That is sad. Anyone who has been the victim of trafficking should be eligible for services to help them turn their lives around. How, otherwise, are they to manage it? I don't understand the whole, after you're 18, you're screwed. It's just wrong. Like kids with no meds once they reach 18. There are many safety nets provided to a number of people who don't deserve them, and then important things are ignored.

Why only one count for each? I hope these are going to be pumped up at a later date. Also, is it just me or does 2 years seem completely unreasonable when we are talking about at-risk minors being trafficked? So, these girls were left in this situation while they went about investigating for 2 years? I hope I'm wrong about this.

We probably need a special section for the issues related to sex trafficking. Here's a few details about the lack of services:

http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/07/HumanTraf...al/index.shtml

The above link is a recent overview on just what HHS is doing to help victims. Please take a few minutes and educate yourselves. Please remember that a child or teen prostitute only works for a limited number of years as younger and "fresher" young girls and boys are procured. What then? The child's spirit is broken, they have not completed school nor learned appropriate social or life skills. They have become estranged from family. The pimps literally teach servitude and dependency. I've read that girls removed from trafficking have difficulty recognizing when they need to use the bathroom, when to eat, or in choosing clothing for the day as these things are directed for them.

This is a growing sub-set of American youth. Please look at your own states laws and determine whether letters need to be written. The US is slowly waking up but there are already tens of thousands of victims. I wish each "john" who pays for the services of my daughter would be forced to truly hear her story. I long for her to come home but I honestly have no idea how best to help her if and when she does.

A site from Ohio, which could literally be from any state:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/B...ces-for-Human-

Report Shows Lack of Available Services for Human Trafficking Victims in Ohio

*An estimated 1,861 foreign-born persons and domestic youth are trafficked over the course of a year in Ohio, but only 118 cases identified as human trafficking and helped by service providers.

*In Ohio, only five agencies report providing services to assist victims of human trafficking.

*Obstacles in providing service include inadequate funding, a lack of training and inability to identify victims

A common story:

"A 14-year old girl from a rural county in Ohio befriended a 28-year old man who trafficked her in a nearby city. Police caught the girl in a motel with another older man and arrested her for violating curfew. She was placed in juvenile detention, while neither man faced charges. The teen, who was handcuffed and shackled, met with a human trafficking advocate. Despite attempts to find the teen a therapeutic program or foster care, the advocate was unable to help. The girl disappeared upon release from detention.

More at link

Belinda- You are absolutely right , and sadly they probably DID watch these people for two years as these things were happening in hopes of building a larger case. This part of it almost kills me. There is a sad, tragic, but very accurate film called "Trafficking", I believe by Lions Gate, starring a well known actor. It portrays this same situation and will give people a realistic idea of how this stuff goes down- the actual crimes and the process of the investigation and it is MIND blowing. I mean, we are NOT talking about inanimate objects such as drugs- we are talking about human lives and it will really open your eyes. There were scenes I could barely watch but then I thought to myself- if I have to turn away because it is too painful to consider- then I am turning my back (to some degree) on all of the victims that actually had to endure this!

Thank you Missizzy for bringing these horrific and disturbing cases to our attention, we cannot afford to turn our back on these things- one day (if we do) it could be someone WE know or love- even if not, we are ALL Gods children and this has to stop, and we can't begin to stop it if we aren't even paying attention to it. Sometimes, it just feels like its just too much to bare... and then I think of the victims...

Quote Originally Posted by Frigga View Post
    Belinda- You are absolutely right , and sadly they probably DID watch these people for two years as these things were happening in hopes of building a larger case. This part of it almost kills me. There is a sad, tragic, but very accurate film called "Trafficking", I believe by Lions Gate, starring a well known actor. It portrays this same situation and will give people a realistic idea of how this stuff goes down- the actual crimes and the process of the investigation and it is MIND blowing.
    BBM. Is this the mini-series you're referring to?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0461872/

If so, it's worth a look. Canadian co-production with Donald Sutherlan and Robert Carlyle (and Miria Sorvino and various others) and based on a long series of interviews with victims of human trafficking in Eastern Europe.

I lived in London, UK for years and recall regular raids in my (not so great) neighbourhood -- which turned out to contain numerous homes where trafficked women were forced to turn tricks. It was never clear what became of those who were "rescued" -- seems likely they were sent home, and thus returned to the very men who in man cases had forced them into prostitution in the first place.

s

best,

s

Scapa,

Sorry, the film was titled "Trade" with Kevin Klein. Here is a link to an article written about the film:

http://www.roaddrivers.org/us_sex_trade.htm

Rapper turned pimp or pimp turned rapper?

This guy was a "rapper" in COG. Children Of The Ghetto.

Way to go buddy. Pimping out children.

http://theguttahouse.blogspot.com/20...mpin-kidz.html

BTW, anytime we hear people joking about pimps or someone singing about how hard it is out there for one they should read the material Izzy has provided or watch the film Frigga and Scapa have linked us to.

Put some reward money out for Orr and I bet they find him real quick.

I often feel like a broken record, Frigga, but I can't stop shining the light. My daughter is out there. I've never felt so helpless.

Here's another excellent fact sheet on trafficking. Everyone, please let these facts sinks in. They are almost beyond belief. Believe them.

http://www.ncadv.org/files/HumanTrafficking.pdf

Just a few random facts to grab your attention:

71% of trafficked children exhibit suicidal tendencies

65% of female sex trafficking victims suffer serious internal injuries, 24% suffer head injuries and 12% suffer broken bones

68% meet the criteria for PTSD

Victims fail to seek the few available services due to retaliation and retribution against themselves and their families.

There is currently only one shelter in the US specifically set up for victims of sex trafficking. It houses only 7-9 victims.

Traffickers move their victims every 15-30 days, and limit their contact with the outside world, victims are unable to gather the resources to escape.

At the bottom of this document are numbers to call for help, to volunteer, and to be trained in advocacy. There is a huge need for advocates right now.

I took notes while working with the Sacramento office of the FBI, attempting to find our daughter, when she went missing. These are just a few facts that I learned:

The pimps working the I-5 Corridor move their victims even more often and keep them locked in motel rooms. They are rarely allowed in public unless under the strict supervision of "drivers". Their IDs are confiscated and they are at the mercy of their pimps as to what and when they get to eat. They almost never have access to money. Cell phone use is strictly monitored. They must "earn" favors. They are often woken at night and moved in caravans to a new motel. Victims often don't know what town they are in and are frequently closed in the trunk of vehicles. They are also prevented from developing close friendships in order to prevent planned escapes. The FBI agent we worked with said that most of the younger girls were turning 10-20 tricks per day. Our daughter suffers from several STDs and pelvic inflammatory disease. According to the last sheriff's deputy that questioned her, she was extremely thin and had pulled out almost all her hair. She was found in a room with two "boyfriends", numerous sex toys, cameras, laptops, 11 cell phones, and trash bags full of "erotic" clothing and wigs. Because she refused to press charges, the deputy was unable to do anything to help her. He found our phone number on a copy of a recent hospital bill in one of the pimp's wallets. Those hospital bills are the only way we've been able to track her for 2 1/2 years. The name she gave the officer was not her name. She also was not know the last names of her two "boyfriends". A 16 year old girl was removed from the motel that night and our daughter disappeared again early the next morning.

Another excellent resource:

http://www.polarisproject.org/ (PLEASE bookmark--lots of info, links, newsfeed)

This is the agency which attempted to help us and connected us with the FBI. We have an open case with them and they are extremely responsive and helpful.

PLEASE NOTE: A person's immigration status is NOT a barrier to services and all the hotlines are set up with translators.

Children are trafficked at such young ages--the AVERAGE age to start prostituting in the US is 13!! I'm left thinking that this would be a fabulous opportunity for young musicians to reach out to their fans.

They would need to be the ones who appeal to the late elementary and middle school set--such as Justin Bieber and Miley Cyrus, possibly. What a gift it would be for them to speak out and to have their message splashed across Myspace and Facebook.

A possible solution to the problem is for LE to stop arresting prostitutes and focus solely on arresting and prosecuting their 'customers'.

The price for their crime would have to be so high, that procuring services from a prostitute wouldn't be worth it.

I remember when I lived in Sacramento and the Sac city cops tried this for a bit! The 'customers' had their names and pictures in the newspaper. Would it stop prostitution? Probably not. It would, I believe, curtail the market, significantly, if multiple cities and towns participated at once!

It's amazing how when one area frequented by prostitutes is hit hard and heavy, they move to a new spot in town. What if LE could stay one step ahead of the problem? Maybe some of these young girls could get home. Supply and demand. Lets curtail the demand!!

I may be all wet also. It just seems as if this could potentially be more effective.

Miss Izzy, keep educating us!

Quote Originally Posted by SunnieRN View Post
    A possible solution to the problem is for LE to stop arresting prostitutes and focus solely on arresting and prosecuting their 'customers'.

The price for their crime would have to be so high, that procuring services from a prostitute wouldn't be worth it.

It's amazing how when one area frequented by prostitutes is hit hard and heavy, they move to a new spot in town. What if LE could stay one step ahead of the problem? Maybe some of these young girls could get home. Supply and demand. Lets curtail the demand!!
    I agree that laws need to focus on the traffickers and their customers and not on the prostitutes, but not sure that arresting johns and punishing them severely would do anything but shift the problem even farther underground. Those who need or want to pay for (or sell) sex will find ways to do it, and the less this economy is scrutinized the more dangerous it will be for those providing (willingly or not) sexual services.

I think that registration and licensing would go some way towards ensuring a safer environment for sex workers -- it could allow those working underage or under coercion better access to resources (and induce lawmakers to widen access to and improve the quality of said resources) and might also provide an incentive for affiliated workers to speak out against the traffickers. Penalties against traffickers, and johns who use them, ought to be very high -- though some will invariably slip through.

Pie in the sky, maybe, but who wants to see things continue as they are?

s

Quote Originally Posted by SunnieRN View Post

I remember when I lived in Sacramento and the Sac city cops tried this for a bit! The 'customers' had their names and pictures in the newspaper. Would it stop prostitution? Probably not. It would, I believe, curtail the market, significantly, if multiple cities and towns participated at once!

I may be all wet also. It just seems as if this could potentially be more effective.

Miss Izzy, keep educating us!
    You took the words right out of my mouth, Sunnie. "Supply and demand".

Yep, they did the same thing here a few years ago perhaps once or twice. Lock up the trick. Put his mug in the paper. Take his vehicle. It doesn't work. As you said evvverybody just moves down or up the block or neighborhood.

One step ahead would be great. They've tried it with drugs. Doesn't work.

Unfortunately there's always going to be some creep taking advantage of a young person. Or there's always going to be some poor young person out there who is tricking on their own.

It's too sad.

All too sad.

This kills me. Kids. Should be out jumping rope or going to the prom.

Just a little more on Waymond Orr. He was the person who drove the girls to their tricks. He supervised.

I don't think he's a rapper like the leader of the ring.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ederal-charges

Just want to keep this out there and updated.