1289 users online (243 members and 1046 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WA - Sam Stefonek, 30, Kelso, 8 Aug 2010

Search for missing Kelso man intensifies; crews comb Mount Brynion woods

Search and rescue teams and the family of a 29-year-old Kelso man missing 11 days are combing the woods behind his parents' remote Mount Brynion home, puzzled by his disappearance and fearing he may have perished.

[snip]

Authorities are looking for Sam Stefonek, a Kelso High graduate, who was last seen shortly before dark Aug. 8, according to his mother.

Earlier that day, Stefonek had gotten into a dispute with a woman friend at the home of his parents, John and Debbie Stefonek. She called 9-1-1, and Stefonek ran into the woods when Cowlitz County sheriff's deputies showed up to investigate, according to Debbie Stefonek and Savannah Norum, a Stefonek family friend from Kelso.

[snip]

Stefonek's friends and family began searching the woods behind the home in the 3100 block of Mount Brynion Road northeast of Kelso on Thursday, Aug. 12, after learning he had not contacted any friends or acquaintances.

A check of his cell phone records revealed he has made no calls since he disappeared, Norum said, but it wasn't clear if he had the phone with him.

The Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office didn't get involved in the search until this week — Wednesday — apparently considering his disappearance an attempt to avoid authorities, Norum said.

[snip]

"We don't know if he is trying to continue to run and hide because he is wanted for assault or because he was injured in the woods. That's why we're asking for the public's help. If people know his whereabouts, let us know."

More: http://tdn.com/news/local/article_db...cc4c03286.html
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 05-07-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Cowlitz County authorities search for man who ran into the woods

The Cowlitz County, Wash., Sheriff's Office is asking for the public's help in finding a missing man who is also being sought in connection with a domestic violence investigation.

[snip]

He continues to be listed at a missing person and the sheriff's office is asking for anyone with information about his whereabouts contact Deputy Andrew Nunes at 360-577-3092. Those wishing to remain anonymous may call Crime Stoppers at 360-577-1206.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...the_woods.html

Still no sign of Kelso man who walked into woods while fleeing authorities

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_a3...cc4c002e0.html

By Andre Stepankowsky / The Daily News The Daily News Online | Posted: Friday, August 20, 2010 9:45 pm

No searches, no new hopes and few leads arose Friday in the case of a man who disappeared after fleeing from deputies into the woods behind his parents' rural Kelso home Aug 8.

His family is clinging to hope that Sam Jack Stefonek still is alive.

Missing man's cell phone found

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_82...cc4c002e0.html

By Leslie Slape The Daily News Online |
    Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:48 pm |

A friend searching for Sam Stefonek found his cell phone Sunday about 1/2 mile southwest of where he was last seen, according to the Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office.

Authorities considering how to proceed with search for Kelso man

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_a1...cc4c03286.html

By Leslie Slape / The Daily News The Daily News Online |
    Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Deputies Denny Parkhill and Darren Ullmann, the most experienced Search and Rescue leaders in the Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office, will meet today to plan the next step in the search for Sam Stefonek, Chief Criminal Deputy Charlie Rosenzweig said Monday.

Still no trace of Kelso man reported missing a month ago

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_d6...cc4c002e0.html

By Leslie Slape / The Daily News The Daily News Online
    Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 8:30 pm

As the hunt for Sam Stefonek nears the 30-day mark, the family of the mssing Kelso man is growing increasingly worried.

"Sam would not go this long without contacting me," his mother, Debbie Stefonek, said Wednesday. "I know my son better than anybody. He is not running."

Her son, whose 30th birthday was Aug. 24, was last seen Aug. 8.

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_cd...cc4c002e0.html

Missing Kelso man's family to hold reward fund garage sale
    Posted in Local on Wednesday, September 8, 2010 9:30 pm

The family of Sam Stefonek is raising money to put toward a reward for information that will help them find the missing Kelso man, who was last seen Aug. 8 in the Mount Brynion area.

Kelso Family Asks For Help Finding Missing Man

http://www.kptv.com/news/24962136/detail.html

POSTED: 4:41 pm PDT September 10, 2010
    UPDATED: 7:24 pm PDT September 10, 2010

KELSO, Wash. -- A Kelso family asked for the public's help Friday in finding a missing man.

The parents of 30-year-old Sam Stefonek said he mysteriously disappeared early last month from a wooded area near the family home. Despite several ground searches, Stefonek remains missing.

WA - Sam Stefonek, 30, Kelso, 8 Aug 2010

September 10 - Kelso Family Asks For Help Finding Missing Man

A Kelso family asked for the public's help Friday in finding a missing man.

The parents of 30-year-old Sam Stefonek said he mysteriously disappeared early last month from a wooded area near the family home. Despite several ground searches, Stefonek remains missing.

"Something has happened to him and somebody has done something to him," Debbie Stefonek said. "All we want to do is find him and bring him home."

http://www.kptv.com/news/24962136/detail.html

September 1 - Still No Trace of Man Reported Missing A Month Ago

"Sam would not go this long without contacting me," his mother, Debbie Stefonek, said Wednesday. "I know my son better than anybody. He is not running."

Chief Criminal Deputy Charlie Rosenzweig of the sheriff's office said Search & Rescue used search dogs and man-trackers last week to hunt for Stefonek.

"They spent several hours looking in the area but unfortunately did not find anything," Rosenzweig said Wednesday.

Deputies have also followed up on "eight to 10 leads" that led nowhere, he said.

"I think something happened to him," Debbie Stefonek said. "I don't believe he's in the woods anymore. We just have to find him. We need to bring him home from wherever he is."

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_d6...cc4c002e0.html

August 22 - Missing Man's Cell Phone Found

A friend searching for Sam Stefonek found his cell phone Sunday about 1/2 mile southwest of where he was last seen, according to the Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office.

The phone, missing its battery, was on a pipeline path in a heavily wooded area with thick blackberries, Rosenzweig said.

No other sign of Stefonek has been located, he said.

Family and friends will keep searching the woods, his mother, Debbie Stefonek, said earlier in the day before the phone was found.

"We won't stop till we find him," she said.

Rosenzweig said deputies will get together with the Search and Rescue coordinator today and determine whether they had included that area in the search last week.

Around 5:30 p.m. Aug. 8, the day he disappeared, Stefonek had gotten into a dispute with a woman friend at his parents' home, where he was house-sitting while they were on a camping trip. She called 911, and Stefonek ran into the woods when Cowlitz County sheriff's deputies showed up to investigate.

Huffine said the last call made from Stefonek's phone occurred around that same time.

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_82...cc4c002e0.html

August 19 - Search for Missing Kelso Man Intensifies

Authorities are looking for Sam Stefonek, a Kelso High graduate, who was last seen shortly before dark Aug. 8, according to his mother.

The owner of a nearby nursery business on Brussat Road talked to Sam that evening and saw him walk back into the woods, Debbie Stefonek said. The business owner said her son was "upset and very confused," she said.

Stefonek's friends and family began searching the woods behind the home in the 3400 block of Mount Brynion Road northeast of Kelso on Thursday, Aug. 12, after learning he had not contacted any friends or acquaintances. A check of his cell phone records revealed he has made no calls since he disappeared, Norum said, but it wasn't clear if he had the phone with him.

The family described Stefonek as about 180 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a white T-shirt and jeans.

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_db...cc4c03286.html

Just an observation -- there have been a number of cases in which a young person just "walked into the woods" and then disappeared. I guess woods can be vast places in which locating someone is, again, the proverbial needle in a haystack. Either that, or the person meets with an unexpected villian -- or -- the person walks through to another part of the woods and leaves......... ???

Very true, we've also had a few where the person was living IN the woods for a while.

What confused me a bit was that he was acting different.

He had no history of violence, but was apparently violent that day.

There was no indication he was visibly intoxicated when he went into the woods but he was seen a bit later looking that way.

I was wondering about some sort of head injury/frontal lobe tumor or something. Wondering if there was other personality changes in the last few weeks/months. That would lend more credibility to him doing something totally out of character, such as living in the woods. Which would also give some hope for him being alive.

My ideas are usually pretty out there, but that was what occurred to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePhantom View Post
    Just an observation -- there have been a number of cases in which a young person just "walked into the woods" and then disappeared. I guess woods can be vast places in which locating someone is, again, the proverbial needle in a haystack. Either that, or the person meets with an unexpected villian -- or -- the person walks through to another part of the woods and leaves......... ???

Good points, Facetious -- there is definitely some piece to this puzzle we can't see or no one knows.

Also, thank you, Idaho, for the info about the support discussion thread.

I almost didn't start one because I thought "Idaho starts discussion threads all the time...if she hasn't started one here, then maybe there is some reason I don't know about...."

But since the mother asked for help, I figured I would. I still have no clue why some get started here and some get started there and some get started in both... but that's alright. I will start them here and if they don't belong they can be deleted or moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho4Groenes View Post
    For more info/articles on Sam, here is his Info/Support thread: WA WA - Sam Stefonek - 29 years old - Kelso - 8 Aug 2010 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Thanks for starting a discussion thread for him, MsFacetious.

what struck me was that his cell phone was found with the battery missing. that is not something that happens by mistake.

my hunch is that he knew he was in some trouble and panicked. he might have removed the battery out of fear his movements might be tracked if the phone was operable.

he was out in the woods, it got dark and he probably lost his way. what happened to him after that is anyone's guess, but falling and injuring himself rises to the top of my list. If he was that far in the woods, there was no one around to help and one can only last so long.

I don't see this as a voluntary disappearance as he made no plans whatsoever.

Family of missing Kelso man offering reward for information

http://tdn.com/news/local/article_83...cc4c03286.html

Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:45 pm

The family of Sam Stefonek is offering a $2,700 reward for information leading to finding the missing Kelso man, who was last seen Aug. 8 entering the woods on Mount Brynion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast