2010.09.14 New Defense Attorney, Ann E. Finnell, Introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveLaughLuv

Reaction score
Shareholder at the firm Finnell, McGuinnes, Nezami & Andux, P.A.

Areas of Practice
Criminal Law(90%); Capital Offenses; Death Penalty; Homicide; Sex Crimes; Federal Criminal Law; Civil Litigation(10%); Family Law; Negligence; Motor Vehicle Accidents and Injuries; Bodily Injury; Wrongful Death

Admitted
1979, Florida; 1982, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida

Law School
University of Florida, J.D., 1978

College
Duke University, B.A., 1975

Membership
Jacksonville Bar Association; The Florida Bar (Member, Criminal Law Section, Executive Council); Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.

Biography
Recognition & Awards: Past Chair, Executive Council, Criminal Law Section, Florida Bar; Past Vice-Chair, Criminal Procedure Rules Committee, Florida Bar; Past Member of Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Criminal Cases; Past President, Jacksonville Women Lawyers Assoc.; Craig Barnard Award from Fla. Public Defender's Association.

LexisNexis Analyzer
http://www.lawyers.com/Florida/Jacksonville/Ann-E-Finnell-791242-a.html

Peer Review Rating Distinguished™
4.4 out of 530Years in Practice
Yes Meets Very High Criteria of General Ethical Standards?

Over 100 Years of Combined Trial Experience!
(Main Office)

Our partners have over 100 years of combined trial experience. When you hire our firm, you hire a team of dedicated professionals who are committed to assuring you the best possible outcome for your case. We are one of the few law firms in Northeast Florida with three death penalty qualified attorneys.

Statement of Practice
Criminal Defense, Federal Criminal Defense, Murder, Death Penalty, White Collar Crime, Drug Crimes, Sex Crimes, Personal Injury, Wrongful Death, Wills, Trusts, Automobile Accidents and Injuries, Bicycle Accidents, Animal Attacks, Boating Accidents, Bodily Injury, Head Injury, Motor Vehicle Accidents and Injuries, Inadequate Security, Negligent Security, Premises Liability Defense, Civil Litigation, Trial Practice, Civil RICO Excessive Use of Force, False Arrest, False Imprisonment, High Speed Police Pursuit Litigation, Law Enforcement Liability, Police Brutality, Police Liability, Police Misconduct, Family Law, Alimony, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Gay and Lesbian Family Law, Non-Traditional Family Law, Palimony, Paternity, Post Divorce Modification, Premarital Agreements, Mail Fraud, Malicious Prosecution, Money Laundering, Murder, Parole and Probation, Post-Conviction Remedies, Sex Crimes, Sexual Assault, Shoplifting, Stalking, Theft, Traffic Violations, Vehicular Homicide, Weapons Charges, Wire Fraud, Wiretapping, Civil Drug Forfeiture, Controlled Substances Law, Drug Crimes, Drug Forfeiture, Drug Trafficking, Fifth Amendment Law, First Amendment Law, Fourth Amendment Law, Freedom of Information, Corporate Criminal Law, Assault and Battery, Burglary, Civil Forfeiture, Crime Victims Compensation, Criminal Antitrust, Criminal Appeals, Criminal Conspiracy, Criminal Defense, Criminal Forfeiture, Criminal Fraud, Drivers License Suspension, Driving While Intoxicated, DUI/DWI, Electronic Surveillance, Expungements, Extortion, Extradition.

Firm Size: 4

Languages: English, Spanish and Farsi (Persian).
http://www.lawyers.com/Florida/Jacksonville/Finnell-McGuinnes-Nezami-and-Andux-P-A--36317844-f.html

FINNELL, MCGUINNESS & NEZAMI, P.A.

BLACKSTONE BUILDING
233 EAST BAY STREET, SUITE 601
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32202
www.fmnlawyers.com

Ann E. Finnell is a graduate of Duke University and the University of Florida School of Law. She has been a trial lawyer for over 31 years. She has handled homicide and death penalty cases since 1981. She specializes in complex homicide litigation including death penalty mitigation. In addition, she has tried serious felony cases including second degree murder and manslaughter cases, capital sexual battery, and other sexual battery cases, kidnapping, armed robbery, armed burglary and violent personal crimes.

Ms. Finnell both lectures and teaches in the areas of criminal trial practice and death penalty practice. She has lectured for the Florida Public Defender Association, Arizona Public Defenders, Wisconsin Public Defenders and Montana Public Defenders. She has taught at the Prosecutor/Public Defender Program in Gainesville, Florida Since 1988. She has taught at the Florida Public Defenders College. She has lectured for the National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys Annual Conference in Aspen, Colorado.

Ms. Finnell has previously served on the Florida Supreme Court Committee on Standard Jury Instructions in Criminal Cases, and on the Criminal Procedure Rules Committee. She is the 1007-08 Chair of the Executive Council of the Criminal Law Section of the Florida Bar and currently serves on the Bar’s Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee.

Ms. Finnell is the 1996 recipient of the Barnard Award, in recognition of outstanding service, from the Florida Public Defender Association.

Ms. Finnell was featured in the 2002 Oscar-winning documentary “Murder on a Sunday Morning” along with Patrick T. McGuinness, a shareholder in the firm. The film documented the defense team successfully defending a young man against the false charge of murder.

Ms. Finnell is a Master of the Chester Bedell Inn of Court, a founding member of the Northeast Chapter of the Florida Association of Defense Attorneys, a member of the Jacksonville Bar, the Florida Bar and the bar of the Middle District of Florida.

Ms. Finnell is a past President of the Jacksonville Women Lawyer’s Association and is a past President of the Jacksonville League of Women Voters. She has also previously served on the local Duke Alumni Advisory Admissions Committee.

Position: Shareholder

Education:

Duke University, B.A.

University of Florida School of Law, J.D.

Professional Affiliations:

Florida Bar, Criminal Law Section, Executive Counsel, Past Chair 2007-08

Jacksonville Bar Association

Florida Association of Defense Attorneys, Northeast Chapter, Founding Member

The Florida Bar, Judicial Nominating Procedures Committee

Supreme Court Committee, Standard Jury Instructions in Criminal Cases

Jacksonville Women Laywer’s Association, Past President

Jacksonville League of Women Voters, Past President

Chester Bedell Inn of Court, Master

Florida Bar, Criminal Rules Committee, Past Vice Chair

Bar Memberships:

Florida Bar

U.S. District Court, Middle District of Florida

http://www.fmnlawyers.com/Finnell,_McGuinness_&_Nezami,_P.A./Welcome.html

So it's going to be a documentary - not a movie?

It seems to me there are at least 2 reasons an attorney would get involved with this case. First, ICA deserves a good defense. I believe she did it, but in the fine tradition of our legal system, she is entitled to a defense, and is "innocent until proven guilty." I don't find it odd that an attorneys who believe in our system of justice would jump in to help give ICA her day in court.

Second, there is a lot of publicity surrounding this case, and it is a case where reputations will be made and broken. It's kind of the big leagues of law, and so attracts people who are at that level or who want to be at that level.

Thanks the way I see it anyway.

Well, she could be an Andrea Lyon double, huh?
Did you hear Cheney M say Lyons this morning? ha ha

Thanks Amil, I was just musing over a polite way to make the double comment. LOL

AF comparing the media to stalkers was stupid and her and the rest of them making fun of Tennessee was juvenile and rude. Stupid, juvenile and rude...just what I would expect of the defenders of a child killer.

Oh! And CM whining about right wing conservative Florida.....spit!....left wing liberals despise baby killers, too!!

These people make me cranky!

oooops....AF wasn't at the presser....

Oh, my! She looks like a female Cheney Mason to me. JMO

Is it me, or are they recruiting from the old and senile lawyer crowd? Not one young lawyer, just a bunch older ones who can't remember things or don't know things (no knock against elderly people here). I guess that's the only crowd who's still willing to sip the Koolaid and join in their defense debacle!!!!

And you're right, the first thing I thought when I saw Ann was that she was his sister or something!

Is it me, or are they recruiting from the old and senile lawyer crowd? Not one young lawyer, just a bunch older ones who can't remember things or don't know things (no knock against elderly people here). I guess that's the only crowd who's still willing to sip the Koolaid and join in their defense debacle!!!!

And you're right, the first thing I thought when I saw Ann was that she was his sister or something!

Seriously? Are you saying she isn't Andrea Lyon(s) sister?

How could I have been so mistaken?

Baez already has ONE death qualified attorney. Why does he need another? And WHY would Florida pay for TWO DEATH PENALTY lawyers? Florida residents, stand up and fight this. And why would ANY reputable attorney join this (imo) joke-of-a-dream-team. It certainly won't help their image. If it would, I think lawyers would be swarming to be on this team.

AF comparing the media to stalkers was stupid and her and the rest of them making fun of Tennessee was juvenile and rude. Stupid, juvenile and rude...just what I would expect of the defenders of a child killer.

Oh! And CM whining about right wing conservative Florida.....spit!....left wing liberals despise baby killers, too!!

These people make me cranky!

I don't see the point of that whole conference. He could have introduced that attorney to the judge the next time in court and then everyone would have known that they have new attorneys and what they do. I think Baez uses any excuse to hold a conference and get in the media. Cheney is really something else and he thinks he is so smart!

I think anyone who takes on this case wants something out of it. I just don't see them swarming to "save Casey." It is because this is a well known case...all over tv and they want a part of it. That is what I think. The big question is...HOW LONG WILL THEY LAST?????????????????? We could take bets...lol.

Baez already has ONE death qualified attorney. Why does he need another? And WHY would Florida pay for TWO DEATH PENALTY lawyers? Florida residents, stand up and fight this. And why would ANY reputable attorney join this (imo) joke-of-a-dream-team. It certainly won't help their image. If it would, I think lawyers would be swarming to be on this team.

The other attorney's are working pro-bono:

New Casey Attorneys Taking On Case For Free

http://www.wftv.com/news/25001357/detail.html

Just shows me that there's a fool born every minute. I know some of them are taking it on for the publicity, but if they think Baez is going to share the "glory," I think they are sadly mistaken. They are buying tickets on the SS Anthony and I see it going down faster than the Titanic

Casey will never agree to a lesser charge because she is convinced (by Baez?) that she can totally get off on all charges.

Maybe because their careers need a boost and a jump start since the new young attorneys (like RH) have come in with LOTS of energy and developed a wide practice of law that eats into their pool of potential clients?

Either a need to re-develop their practice or a desire to retire comfortably but go out with a media blitz, not a fizzle. Get their name in lights?

BBM.

While these new attorney's are offering their 'services' for FREE my understanding is that is their 'time' ... not their 'expenses' and 'costs' incurred in using other 'services'.

So while the term 'pro bono' is used to suggest the attorney is donating time ... there is still an increasing real cost to the State of Florida. Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆