1510 users online (252 members and 1258 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Specific DP Verdicts in Florida

Found this VERY interesting link while researching today so thought I would start a separate thread as it may serve as a resource during trial time.

Website includes many states, so scroll down to Florida to read:

1. Defendants Name

2. Summary of Prosecution Case as well as Defense Case

3. Defense Attorney representing Defendant

4. No. of Jurors Recomending Death Penalty

5. Mitigating Factos argued by Defense after conviction

6. Judges Ruling after Jury Recommendation

There are three cases highlighted that were defended by attorneys who have been involved in Casey Anthonys case, but will post clips of those cases separately.

Just thought this was very informative and wanted to share

http://facstaff.law.drake.edu/david....rterNames.html

Paul Durousseau - Defended by Ann Finnell (new KC atty)

Paul Durousseau - black, age 28

Sentenced to death in Duvall County, Florida

By: A judge.

Date of crime: July 26, 1999

Prosecution’s case/defense response: Paul Durousseau was convicted of premeditated 1st degree murder, felony-murder, sexual battery, and robbery in a serial killing spree leaving seven dead. Five of the six murder charges were dropped before Durousseau was brought to trial on the rape and slaying of a 24 year old female. The woman was found bound and strangled in her apartment. He also faces another murder charge for the murder of a woman found in Georgia in 1997. The woman was last seen at a club two days prior to the discovery of her body.

Prosecutor(s): Jay Taylor and Mac Heavener
    Defense lawyer(s): Ann Finnell and Bill White
    Sources: South Florida Sun-Sentinel 11/10/2007 (2007 WLNR 22254652); AP Alert - Florida 6/9/2007

Nelson Serrano - Defended by CHeney Mason

Nelson Serrano - white, age 59

Sentenced to death in Polk County, Florida

By: A judge following a 9-3 recommendation from a jury.

Date of crime: December 3, 1997

Prosecution’s case/defense response: Serrano was convicted of killing four people including 69 year old George Gonslaves, 35 year old Frank Dosso, 28 year old Diane Patisso, and 26 year old George Patisso inside the Erie Manufacturing building. George Gonslaves and George Patisso were business associates of Serrano and fired Serrano months prior to the murders over a business dispute. The prosecution stated that Serrano deliberately set out to kill Gonslaves and that the others may have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Serrano’s defense argued that there was no physical evidence linking Serrano to the slayings and Serrano has maintained his innocence. The prosecution countered that Serrano was the mastermind of an elaborate plot to kill Gonslaves, pointing to Serrano leaving an Atlanta business trip and flying to Orlando under an assumed name to commit the slayings, then flying back to Atlanta. The prosecution argued that these actions were cold, calculated, and premeditated. The defense argued that Serrano had a clean criminal record until the killings and brought forth more than 20 character witnesses to testify that he was a caring, generous family man.

Prosecutor(s): John Aguero, Phil Wallace
    Defense lawyer(s): Cheney Mason and Bob Norgard

Sources: South Florida Sun-Sentinel 6/27/07 2007 WLNR 12102077; Tampa Tribune 6/27/07 2007 WLNR 12383912; http://www.theledger.com/article/200...706270465/1039
    Last edited by Kentjbkent; 09-14-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Harrell Franklin Braddy - Defended by Terence Lenamon

Harrell Franklin Braddy - black, age 49

Sentenced to death in Miami-Dade County, Florida

By: A judge, after an 11-1 recommendation of death by a jury.

Date of crime: November 6, 1998

Prosecution’s case/defense response: Harrell Braddy drove his estranged girlfriend to a secluded area near the Everglades and attempted to strangle her to death. Braddy then took the only witness to the event, the woman’s five year old daughter, and dumped her into a swamp known as "Alligator Alley," hoping that the reptiles would discard of the evidence. At trial a medical examiner testified that the girl was still alive when the animal bit her stomach and head, eventually causing her death. The prosecution demonstrated Braddy’s history of escape from incarceration and violence, including a previous charge for attempted murder. The mother of the little girl awoke shortly after the incident and provided the primary testimony for the case. Defense demonstrated Braddy’s close ties to family and presented the testimony of several of his relatives, each pleading to the court for a sentence of life imprisonment.

Prosecutor(s): Abbe Rifkin
    Defense lawyer(s): Terence Lenamon and G.P. Della Fera

Sources: Miami Herald 10/16/2007 (2007 WLNR 20259932); AP Alert - Florida 9/01/2007

Very Helpful and Thought Provoking!

Thanks for posting this information Kentjbkent. It was fascinating to read how young some of the defendants who received the death penalty are, that the decisions for recommending the death penalty were rarely unanimous ( 11-1, 8-4) or even close, and how the mitigating factors seemed to be regarded as irrelevant.
    I was especially interested to see that actual sexual abuse was disregarded, and the comment about the degree of mental illness was not debilitating.

Thanks so much for this info. I too find it very interesting.
    Did they do the special mitigation tactics in any of these cases and if so, who did the arguing?

Wait for Responses!

It actually took 20 minutes for that little comment up above to load KJBK, so don't be surprised you haven't received a ton of comments. They are coming when the server unjams itself!

This is very interesting, indeed! Thanks for the thread, KJBK
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

I’ve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي

Women Who Have Received The Death Penalty in Florida

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/women.html

Florida Dept. of Corrections Death Row Fact Sheet:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/
    My posts are my opinion only. Praying for Justice for Caylee Marie!
    The Florida Bar summed up the problem regarding Mr. Baez.
    "His overall behavior, they wrote, showed "a total lack of respect for the rights of others and a total lack of respect for the legal system, which is absolutely inconsistent with the character and fitness qualities required of those seeking to be afforded the highest position of trust and confidence recognized by our system of law." (Thank you to TWA) Read their opinion here: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d...ps/sc95855.pdf

Wow - Thank Nums24

It's a bigger hill to climb than I thought getting a baby killer to receive the DP in Florida!
    Floridians don't like it if you kill your husband however.

Hmm, let's see if Florida is willing to start a precedent.

I would however be satisfied with LWOP.

But then I'm Canadian. Peace, Love and Let's not all fight now rubbish.

I really can't see her getting the DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    Even though I am Canadian and we gave up the death penalty years ago - I would respect Florida and Florida's laws if that's what the jury chooses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    I can't either.

Anyone notice how Cheney out and out lied when asked about his prior statements that this is a life without parole case. I saw it and he said it. He denies it now, which was foolish because in my opinion he just comes off as a liar and one who will say anything no matter how false it is.

I digress. But one more thing, if Cheney wants to win this case, at the very least, he should stop the stuttering. He will lose his listeners. And he cannot afford to do that, because the prosecution is going to make their case very clear. Hopefully, detailed about how Caylee suffered. Victims get lost all the time; I hope Caylee does not, because the family most certainly has let her get lost.

Quote Originally Posted by nums24 View Post
    Women Who Have Received The Death Penalty in Florida

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/women.html

Florida Dept. of Corrections Death Row Fact Sheet:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/
    Well, that was an interesting read. Casey will fit right in with the woman who buried a couple alive and is on death row.

Lets see she had Caylee in the trunk, with tape over her mouth and her nose - and put in a hot trunk. That cannot have felt good.

I want to know how they are going to get around the Hinkel tape in the house and on the victim and the knife found in the car has a "strand" of the tape on it. And it had been washed in the dishwasher by Cindy. Still they got evidence. Really good work.

Also, if they are going for sexual abuse, it tells me that they are every which way but loose. Just in case lets get the abuse in there - we'll probably need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Solace View Post
    Well, that was an interesting read. Casey will fit right in with the woman who buried a couple alive and is on death row.

Lets see she had Caylee in the trunk, with tape over her mouth and her nose - and put in a hot trunk. That cannot have felt good.

I want to know how they are going to get around the Hinkel tape in the house and on the victim and the knife found in the car has a "strand" of the tape on it. And it had been washed in the dishwasher by Cindy. Still they got evidence. Really good work.

Also, if they are going for sexual abuse, it tells me that they are every which way but loose. Just in case lets get the abuse in there - we'll probably need it.
    I am sure the defense will try and get as much evidence as possible tossed. I also think this is where Atty. Sims will come in, I think she will fight to get it tossed.
    My posts are my opinion only. Praying for Justice for Caylee Marie!
    The Florida Bar summed up the problem regarding Mr. Baez.
    "His overall behavior, they wrote, showed "a total lack of respect for the rights of others and a total lack of respect for the legal system, which is absolutely inconsistent with the character and fitness qualities required of those seeking to be afforded the highest position of trust and confidence recognized by our system of law." (Thank you to TWA) Read their opinion here: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d...ps/sc95855.pdf

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast