2010.09.14 - Deadlines Extended!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomo

Reaction score
CM went on for quite a bit about how they have had a PRIVATE status meeting with the court and have succeeded in extending some of the deadlines.

Any idea what deadlines have been extended and on what grounds the extentions were granted?

He had mentioned that the state turned over 8,000 new pages... Couldn't the defence have gone over to the sheriff's office and get the documents prior to the state handing them over? Is JB just complaining that someone didn't spoon-feed him the discovery?

I thought that the judge in this case really was more firm and would not be extending dates.

CM went on for quite a bit about how they have had a PRIVATE status meeting with the court and have succeeded in extending some of the deadlines.

Any idea what deadlines have been extended and on what grounds the extentions were granted?

He had mentioned that the state turned over 8,000 new pages... Couldn't the defence have gone over to the sheriff's office and get the documents prior to the state handing them over? Is JB just complaining that someone didn't spoon-feed him the discovery?

I thought that the judge in this case really was more firm and would not be extending dates.

The only deadlines I was aware of, came after the scheduling conference on 8/30/10. Anything else is news to me.

Here is HHJP's last order from 9/2/2010:

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/Hi...tion and Hearing Deadlines and Trial Date.pdf

Here is the original order from May 7, 2010

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/Hi...& Hearing Deadlines & Trial Date 5-7-2010.pdf

In part one of the news conference yesterday, CM almost bragged that they had the extension and that "you" (meaning the media) wouldn't know about that yet.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Thanks Nums

This is probably not the right thread to ask this question, well maybe since it's about deadlines, but, what is the difference between the SA being allowed to or able to (or just actually doing) hold stuff "close to the vest", things they won't release until it's time for trial, and the accusation that they're withholding evidence?

It's common knowledge that vital things are missing; Amscot video if there is one, Mark Hawkins and Mallory Parker interviews, didn't Lee ever talk to the FBI? Things like that. So are they not being released because they hold something vital to the Prosecution, or because somebody forgot or hasn't had time yet? I guess I just don't understand the difference.

I thought Judge Perry said that both sides needed to comb through the files at the SO, making sure nothing had been missed. Maybe I misunderstood him.

I thought Judge Perry said that both sides needed to comb through the files at the SO, making sure nothing had been missed. Maybe I misunderstood him.

Most likely not. Sounds better to act like they were being held back. And much later, they can go through it, and try to find at least 1 page not turned over..and claim they were being played false. When it would really mean that if the SA didn't catch it, then they don't have it either. <eye roll>

whiteangora, You did not misunderstand Judge Perry, he did say that.

I don't suppose Baez and Mason mentioned that in their presser.

This is probably not the right thread to ask this question, well maybe since it's about deadlines, but, what is the difference between the SA being allowed to or able to (or just actually doing) hold stuff "close to the vest", things they won't release until it's time for trial, and the accusation that they're withholding evidence?

It's common knowledge that vital things are missing; Amscot video if there is one, Mark Hawkins and Mallory Parker interviews, didn't Lee ever talk to the FBI? Things like that. So are they not being released because they hold something vital to the Prosecution, or because somebody forgot or hasn't had time yet? I guess I just don't understand the difference.

Isn't the difference that State must release information as soon as it becomes available, but the FBI can take their sweet time releasing information to the SA, and even HHJP can't do anything about it?

Speaking of evidence - we are STILL waiting, Mr. Baez.:waitasec:

whiteangora, You did not misunderstand Judge Perry, he did say that.

I don't suppose Baez and Mason mentioned that in their presser.

I think all the "new" lawyers are an attempt to delay the trial - they "were not given" time to get up to speed. I still can't figure out why Casey gets TWO death penalty qualififed attorneys and ANOTHER medical expert (isn't that what LKB is?)

Isn't the difference that State must release information as soon as it becomes available, but the FBI can take their sweet time releasing information to the SA, and even HHJP can't do anything about it?

Speaking of evidence - we are STILL waiting, Mr. Baez.:waitasec:

FBi is not governed by Florida Law and therefore HHJP has no influence over them. So they can abide by Federal Law. I don't think Baez will EVER turn over any discovery to anyone - he doesn't HAVE to follow the law in his opinion. He can touch his client in jail, get warned and still do it again. Such hubris

FBi is not governed by Florida Law and therefore HHJP has no influence over them. So they can abide by Federal Law. I don't think Baez will EVER turn over any discovery to anyone - he doesn't HAVE to follow the law in his opinion. He can touch his client in jail, get warned and still do it again. Such hubris

Just to take it a step further, I don't think JB Has any discovery TO turn over. All he has is a lot of hot air and at least 3 more attorneys than he needs.

Just to take it a step further, I don't think JB Has any discovery TO turn over. All he has is a lot of hot air and at least 3 more attorneys than he needs.

Hahaha - I read your comment really quickly and thought you said all Baez has is a lot of hair, and was reminded that I am still questioning his hairline.

But he did say on JVM that what he had to work with was really quite minimal, so he needed these experienced folk. I find his comment really observant and quite astounding. I didn't give him credit for such self knowledge.

BBM - EXACTLY. :sick:

I won't believe anything they say about "extended deadlines" until I see another court order. :crazy:

Is it just me, or why would they need another deadline 2 years after Caylee passed. This is getting ridic.

Moo

Mel

Hahaha - I read your comment really quickly and thought you said all Baez has is a lot of hair, and was reminded that I am still questioning his hairline.

But he did say on JVM that what he had to work with was really quite minimal, so he needed these experienced folk. I find his comment really observant and quite astounding. I didn't give him credit for such self knowledge.

His hairline is quite..... shall we say unique? lol
Hopefully by trials end it will be just a memory.
LDB and JA will have him pulling it out in gobs!

Actually, he HAS all the evidence that he needs, IMO.
She however is not a cremated body that is strapped around someone's neck or wrist, but sits contently in the Orange County Jail.

BBM - EXACTLY. :sick:

I won't believe anything they say about "extended sdeadlines" until I see another court order. :crazy:
Judge Perry doesn't strike me as a Judge who makes secret judgments. I think is more smoke and mirrors y the defense. I wonder if he is going to use the spaghetti defense? The problem is, just like in Peterson, the doubt has to be REASONABLE.

Is it just me, or why would they need another deadline 2 years after Caylee passed. This is getting ridic.

Moo

Mel
Delays tend to favor the defense. The first tactic used in defense is my client didn't do it. Then they delay, delay, delay.

BBM
I agree. He has nothing or very little. They can only fight the evidence the SAO has against her.

IMO, If Casey and her boys had evidence that proved she is innocent it would have been presented to the SAO by now in order to get her out of jail and the charges dropped...isn't that what a lawyer who has his clients best interest would do?
I will not forget that Baez did not put forth a Motion for a Speedy trial(a constitutional right) back in 2008 after Casey was indicted. Wouldn't that have been in his client's best interest?
Baez handed the Prosecution more time to amass evidence and build their case against Casey and on Dec 11, 2008 it was given to them.
Was Baez hoping (IMO like Casey) that Caylee would never be found so the SAO had a weak case, at the time. Well, it didn't work out for them.

After the last status hearing, Judge Perry did extend two deadlines. See this post by ThinkTank, it's got some good info and a link to the order: [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5579299&postcount=177"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Defense FINALLY Begins Depo Process[/ame]

It seemed to me Mason was implying during the PC that the deadline extension was something new, but could this be what he was talking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle