1073 users online (213 members and 860 guests)  

Websleuths News

IL - Kane County Suing Gang Members

St. Charles, Ill. - About 70 members of an Elgin street gang have been named as defendants in a civil lawsuit filed by the Kane County State's Attorney's Office in what authorities say is an effort to deter them from taking part in gang-related activity.

The complaint seeks a court injunction prohibiting those identified by Elgin police as gang members from engaging in any acts considered to be "gang-related" -- including gathering in public with other gang members, displaying gang signs, shouting gang slogans, attempting to recruit new members and violating curfew laws.

If the injunction is granted, a defendant who is then seen hanging out with other gang members would immediately be charged with unlawful contact with a known street gang member, a misdemeanor offense, and subject to being searched, according to the state's attorney's office.

<snip>

The lawsuit makes Kane the third county in the state to take such action against street gangs, under the state's 1993 Illinois Street Gang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act. Previous complaints have been filed in Boone County in 2009, and three times in DuPage County -- in 1999, 2006 and 2007.

Full article at link. Well worth the read imo. I've heard about this happening in DuPage and by various cities within IL. It appears to be an excellent tool to keep these ****s off the streets. At least in some area's I've seen I've witnessed what looks like less activity from the average citizen like myself.

I sure wish the City of Chicago -or- Cook Cty would do this.

I'd love to hear feedback from other WS'rs if their state or counties do something similiar.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/news...orney-20100915
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Hmmmmmm. Good stuff, Cubby. Interesting especially if you've yourself seen less activity in places.

That's kind of on the line of that stop and search we had going on. Which in turn turned out to be the people searched sued the city.

Yep, the only civil lawsuits going on here are against the city. Somebody would throw a gang sign up. Cops would arrest them as a known gang member previously arrested. Then it would get turned around they were hailing a taxi cab and it got misconstrued. Ching ching pay day.

I hope it works though. I do. In LA possibly they have something similar? Maybe they tried it?

I hope it works too.
    "Don't forget the kangaroo!"

Thanks for the feedback Filly. Kane Cty and my Cty have no cabs.... heck, we are so far out in the burbs we really don't even have buses. I think this is aimed to curb the younger gang crowds and I do realize there is a big difference in how this might work in a large city compared to more suburban area's...... I just wish they could incorporate something like into the larger cities....

Yes, in my town they utilize this so often they've- for the most part- pushed the gang bangers outside of our city limits.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Heck, they've even instituted something where landlords are held responsible for crap that occurs in the properties they rent out. I can't think of what it is exactly, but it has led to some landlords legally being able to evict or say no to renting to certain types of tenants. It falls outside of the usual protected classes for housing discrimination based on criminal history.......

It's worked pretty well in my town thus far.
    ~JMO~

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Heck, they've even instituted something where landlords are held responsible for crap that occurs in the properties they rent out. I can't think of what it is exactly, but it has led to some landlords legally being able to evict or say no to renting to certain types of tenants. It falls outside of the usual protected classes for housing discrimination based on criminal history.......

It's worked pretty well in my town thus far.

Well now we need that more than we do anything else right now.

Section 8, absentee landlords, and up to at least a year before they can evict somebody once you get to court.

Yup, effectively ruining neighborhoods. One house on one block and that's all it takes. Of course all landlords are not slumlords, and all renters are not ignorant non caring self absorbed cretins, but we are all just watching it happen.

Thanks for that information.

yeahhhh - love this idea

The bluest skies you've ever seen are in...

California

http://www.berkeleydailyplanet.com/i...erkeley-Border

Gang activity, once considered pretty low in North Oakland, has been ramping up and beginning to spill into Berkeley.. Of course Berkeley put their foot down. There is no way an injunction would work in East or West Oakland...you could triple the force on the streets and it would still be like shoveling in a snowstorm.

Perry, who was dubbed the "Velvet Hammer" by tweeters,
    went on to say that he believed there was sufficient evidence to sustain a
    first-degree murder conviction

"Justice has been served in the sense that the jury has spoken but justice will
    finally be served one day by the Judge of
    judges," Perry said during the morning show.
    "And she's going to live, deal with this for
    the rest of her life."

RIP Caylee Marie