IL - Kane County Suing Gang Members

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
St. Charles, Ill. - About 70 members of an Elgin street gang have been named as defendants in a civil lawsuit filed by the Kane County State's Attorney's Office in what authorities say is an effort to deter them from taking part in gang-related activity.

The complaint seeks a court injunction prohibiting those identified by Elgin police as gang members from engaging in any acts considered to be "gang-related" -- including gathering in public with other gang members, displaying gang signs, shouting gang slogans, attempting to recruit new members and violating curfew laws.

If the injunction is granted, a defendant who is then seen hanging out with other gang members would immediately be charged with unlawful contact with a known street gang member, a misdemeanor offense, and subject to being searched, according to the state's attorney's office.

<snip>

The lawsuit makes Kane the third county in the state to take such action against street gangs, under the state's 1993 Illinois Street Gang Terrorism Omnibus Prevention Act. Previous complaints have been filed in Boone County in 2009, and three times in DuPage County -- in 1999, 2006 and 2007.

Full article at link. Well worth the read imo. I've heard about this happening in DuPage and by various cities within IL. It appears to be an excellent tool to keep these thugs off the streets. At least in some area's I've seen I've witnessed what looks like less activity from the average citizen like myself.

I sure wish the City of Chicago -or- Cook Cty would do this.

I'd love to hear feedback from other WS'rs if their state or counties do something similiar.

http://www.myfoxchicago.com/dpp/new...t-gang-members-elgin-states-attorney-20100915

Hmmmmmm. Good stuff, Cubby. Interesting especially if you've yourself seen less activity in places.

That's kind of on the line of that stop and search we had going on. Which in turn turned out to be the people searched sued the city.

Yep, the only civil lawsuits going on here are against the city. Somebody would throw a gang sign up. Cops would arrest them as a known gang member previously arrested. Then it would get turned around they were hailing a taxi cab and it got misconstrued. Ching ching pay day.

I hope it works though. I do. In LA possibly they have something similar? Maybe they tried it?

Thanks for the feedback Filly. Kane Cty and my Cty have no cabs.... heck, we are so far out in the burbs we really don't even have buses. I think this is aimed to curb the younger gang crowds and I do realize there is a big difference in how this might work in a large city compared to more suburban area's...... I just wish they could incorporate something like into the larger cities....

Yes, in my town they utilize this so often they've- for the most part- pushed the gang bangers outside of our city limits.

Heck, they've even instituted something where landlords are held responsible for crap that occurs in the properties they rent out. I can't think of what it is exactly, but it has led to some landlords legally being able to evict or say no to renting to certain types of tenants. It falls outside of the usual protected classes for housing discrimination based on criminal history.......

It's worked pretty well in my town thus far.

Heck, they've even instituted something where landlords are held responsible for crap that occurs in the properties they rent out. I can't think of what it is exactly, but it has led to some landlords legally being able to evict or say no to renting to certain types of tenants. It falls outside of the usual protected classes for housing discrimination based on criminal history.......

It's worked pretty well in my town thus far.

:clap:Well now we need that more than we do anything else right now.

Section 8, absentee landlords, and up to at least a year before they can evict somebody once you get to court.

Yup, effectively ruining neighborhoods. One house on one block and that's all it takes. Of course all landlords are not slumlords, and all renters are not ignorant non caring self absorbed cretins, but we are all just watching it happen.

Thanks for that information.

yeahhhh - love this idea

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni