CA CA - Bell, WhtMale 1401UMCA, 15-25, in L.A. riverbed @ Patata trestle, Sep'79

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Doe Network:
Case File 1401UMCA
http://doenetwork.org/cases/1401umca.html
4fd4af23-b988-4ab8-95af-f66f176bf2f8.jpg

WARNING - POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2571959680045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Unidentified White Male

* The victim was discovered on September 19, 1979 in Bell, Los Angeles County, California

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: Over 16 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"; 129 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, brown eyes. Appendix present.
* Clothing: Blue pants, Hawaiian print shirt, brown leather belt, white socks with red stripe, underwear. No jewelry.
* Dentals: Available
* Fingerprints: Available

Case History
The victim was located in the L.A. river bed, north of the Patata trestle in the city of Bell, CA

I've been browsing through high school yearbooks on Classmates.com to see if I could find matches for teens and early 20's with postmortem photos. They still don't have enough books on their site to do a good thorough search, but I thought maybe I'd get lucky and find some of these people.

I put one case up yesterday with a possible match, but it turned out that the possible was in Classmates, and therefore still recently alive. I had looked prior but missed her due to improper filtering of the alumni list.

So here's another shot at it. I looked through the Bell High School yearbooks in Classmates.com and saw that they had the 1976 edition. Among the freshmen, I found this guy (and he is even wearing a Hawaiian shirt):

2377660250045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

Here is the side-by-side:
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...em Photos/2571959680045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

This photo was taken three years before the John Doe was found. He has the same high wide forehead, but doesn't seem to have as prominent a chin, and is not as broad at the bridge of the nose. However, I am thinking that the John Doe's slacked jaw and somewhat smashed nose may be the cause of the apparent differences.

Last Thursday morning, I drove to Bell HS (it's not far from my home), and went into the school library and asked to see any other yearbooks from the late 70's that they had. They had the 76, 78, and 79 books. I could not find "B Callison" in the 78 or 79 yearbooks, or anyone else that resembled John Doe.

I searched through Classmates.com (and double checked a second and third time today), and Facebook. I found a Valorie Callison from Bell HS Class of 78, and a Charlene Callison from Bell HS Class of 84, but no male "Callison" ("B" or otherwise). I found Charlene and Valorie both in Facebook. Among their "Friends" are several male Callisons, including a Bob and a Robert. Bob, while he might be the right approximate age, doesn't look like the same "B Callison" as the guy in the yearbook, and Robert is too young.

I've sent a Facebook PM to Valerie to see if she can tell me if she knows the B Callison who was a freshman at Bell HS in 1976, and if so, has she seen him since 1979.

Let’s see where this goes. Cross your fingers!

Here is another that I found in the David Starr Jordan HS 1978 yearbook. This was the same H.S. (but different year) as the previous PM to the Shoreline Drive Jane Doe. The City of Bell is about a 20-minute drive up the 710 Freeway from Long Beach

2068923170045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

This guy has a much better resemblance than "B. Callison", but I'm a little doubtful just because of the probability is so slim that I would finding him by chance in a yearbook for a school that far away.

But he is also not listed in Classmates, nor is anyone else with the surname Kyle. There is also nobody in Facebook with the surname Kyle who listed Jordan High as their alma mater. There are several Jeffrey Kyles in FB, but none who appear to be this guy. And there are no Jeffrey Dana Kyles.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some of the LA County Coroner's photos have, on occasion, had distortions. I believe that this is the result of the images being photos of photos (i.e., with the photo print sitting on a table being photographed with a digital camera pointed at an angle other than 90 degrees)

Also, I suspect that the bridge of John Doe's nose may be retouched to remove some objectionable detail.

Carl,

A "Jeffrey D Kyle" of that age still resides in or around Long Beach

however, the yearbook photo does very much resemble the UID.

I've been browsing through high school yearbooks on Classmates.com to see if I could find matches for teens and early 20's with postmortem photos. They still don't have enough books on their site to do a good thorough search, but I thought maybe I'd get lucky and find some of these people.

I put one case up yesterday with a possible match, but it turned out that the possible was in Classmates, and therefore still recently alive. I had looked prior but missed her due to improper filtering of the alumni list.

So here's another shot at it. I looked through the Bell High School yearbooks in Classmates.com and saw that they had the 1976 edition. Among the freshmen, I found this guy (and he is even wearing a Hawaiian shirt):

2377660250045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

This photo was taken three years before the John Doe was found. He has the same high wide forehead, but doesn't seem to have as prominent a chin, and is not as broad at the bridge of the nose. However, I am thinking that the John Doe's slacked jaw and somewhat smashed nose may be the cause of the apparent differences.

Last Thursday morning, I drove to Bell HS (it's not far from my home), and went into the school library and asked to see any other yearbooks from the late 70's that they had. They had the 76, 78, and 79 books. I could not find "B Callison" in the 78 or 79 yearbooks, or anyone else that resembled John Doe.

I searched through Classmates.com (and double checked a second and third time today), and Facebook. I found a Valorie Callison from Bell HS Class of 78, and a Charlene Callison from Bell HS Class of 84, but no male "Callison" ("B" or otherwise). I found Charlene and Valorie both in Facebook. Among their "Friends" are several male Callisons, including a Bob and a Robert. Bob, while he might be the right approximate age, doesn't look like the same "B Callison" as the guy in the yearbook, and Robert is too young.

I've sent a Facebook PM to Valerie to see if she can tell me if she knows the B Callison who was a freshman at Bell HS in 1976, and if so, has she seen him since 1979.

Let’s see where this goes. Cross your fingers!

Did you study the photo before doing the photoshop? This is your guy.

There is a scar on the UP's L forehead at corner of eye extending below the eye in sort of a zig zag pattern not mentioned on the Doe page(no surprise). The same mark appears to be on the class photo. Photo enhancement is great for searching skin characteristics. This identifying mark is not on the colored photo. There is also a raised spot on the R nostril of both. We must have access to postmortem photos if we are going to find the missing.

Did you study the photo before doing the photoshop?

Obviously not to your standards.

This is your guy.

There is a scar on the UP's L forehead at corner of eye extending below the eye in sort of a zig zag pattern not mentioned on the Doe page(no surprise). The same mark appears to be on the class photo. Photo enhancement is great for searching skin characteristics. This identifying mark is not on the colored photo. There is also a raised spot on the R nostril of both.

Thanks for looking into it, and that's obviously encouraging!! Hopefully, I'll hear back from Valorie Callison with clarification of whether B. Callison's whereabouts have been accounted for since 1979. If I don't hear from Valorie within a day or two, I will send out a few more private messages to the other Callisons on her Facebook "Friends" list.

We must have access to postmortem photos if we are going to find the missing.

The only reason why the postmortem photo is available here is because Doe Network asked me to do the recon. I saved the photo on my computer, and since then, Los Angeles County has removed all of their postmortem photos from their website as a result of a law that was passed. I'm not sure why the law was passed, but its probably because the blood and guts websites that display photos of the deceased for ghoulish amusement had links to the LA County Coroner site.

Yesterday morning, I posted all of the LA County PM photos that I had to Porchlight USA's Postmortem Photos section. So at least you will have the PM photos to go with the recons that I did. For most others, the PM photos are nowhere to be found unless someone else saved them.

ETA: I also sent a Facebook message to Cherrie Callison.

I meant no offense with my question as to studying the photo before doing a photo coloring. Sketches, clays and digital remakes are very serious business. It is obvious from most of the clay busts that the artist did not study the postmortem image because when compared the 'artist' was giving us a piece of art - not forensic depiction of the deceased. I did not know if you did the photo from that postmortem. That is why I asked. Since Doe did not bother to list a scar (or some marking) then it would have been lost to the general public. That is my only point. I am not the only one who disagrees with the notion that an incorrect photo is better than none. It is getting increasingly difficult to make identifications because of misinformation and now they want to do away with the image of the deceased person. OY! This is the place - on these discussion threads where problems should be discussed without getting offended. It is the victim we are working for.
Again, I was not clear you worked form this photo.
Fingers crossed for the ID. :)

Carl, in case you need another possible contact's name, I also find a Tim Callison listed on classmates.com under Bell, class of 1981.

ETA: Forgot to say, the lengths you go to to make these matches astonish me (in a good way). My fingers, too, are crossed.

I received a somewhat ambiguous reply from Cherrie. Apparently, she does not keep in touch with the other members of her family, but she said the following:

I went to school in Bell in 83, My brother Robert Callison Jr. is alive and well in Hamilton Missouri. Sorry I couldn't help you, if you would please tell all the Callison family sorry for their loss. ...

So I'm a little confused. Is her brother Robert the same "B. Callison" (i.e., Bob) that we are talking about? It seems that she is saying that, but then what is the loss that she is talking about? Facebook lists a Robert Callison from St. Charles MO, but he is only 23 years old.

There is also a Bob Callison whose hometown is not indicated. He doesn't look at all like an older version of "B. Callison", but perhaps he is.

It appears that "B. Callison" is not our guy, but just to be sure, I am sending a message to Bob to find out if he is the same person, and if not whether he can explain it without the ambiguity.

I just received a reply from Bob Callison:

Hello Carl. No, its not me.

He didn't offer any additional info.

But it now appears that the "B. Callison" that we are talking about is not in Facebook.

What is not clear is if Cherie's brother "Robert Callison Jr." is the 23-year old shown in FB, or our "B. Callison".

Carl you might be onto something here.

But think about it, high school kids change so much in a years time. Even 6 months. That B. Callison could have joined track or a high cardio sports team and lost a lot of weight. Thus explaining why he has a more prominate chin that before.

Just something to think about.

Also I feel that law is wrong, it just hampers LE's chances of solving cases.

I just received a reply from Bob Callison:

He didn't offer any additional info.

But it now appears that the "B. Callison" that we are talking about is not in Facebook.

What is not clear is if Cherie's brother "Robert Callison Jr." is the 23-year old shown in FB, or our "B. Callison".

Yes very confusing... Did you messge the Bob Callison back?

Yes very confusing... Did you messge the Bob Callison back?

Yes, I replied back with the following:

Thanks for the reply.

I found your FB page because you are listed among "Friends" of other Callisons who went to Bell H.S.

Do you know who the person in the attached photo is? - or whether he has been seen since 1979?

"It's not me" depends on what the meaning of the word "It's" is. :)

Is "it" the photo of "B. Callison", or is "it" the UID?

So I'm a little confused. Is her brother Robert the same "B. Callison" (i.e., Bob) that we are talking about? It seems that she is saying that, but then what is the loss that she is talking about? Facebook lists a Robert Callison from St. Charles MO, but he is only 23 years old.

I find a 50-year-old Robert in Hamilton whom I assume is the one she refers to (and there is a Robert Sr. with same middle initial in St. Joseph). Judging from DOB, he's maybe a year and a half older than I'd initially assume for a freshman in a 1975-1976 yearbook, but it's not out of line. (Tim is mentioned on her MySpace, additionally.)

I find a 50-year-old Robert in Hamilton whom I assume is the one she refers to (and there is a Robert Sr. with same middle initial in St. Joseph). Judging from DOB, he's maybe a year and a half older than I'd initially assume for a freshman in a 1975-1976 yearbook, but it's not out of line. (Tim is mentioned on her MySpace, additionally.)

I can't find who you are talking about, but that's OK - I'll just wait for the responses from my follow-ups.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back