Kyron's Law

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
http://thekyronhormanpetition.ning.com/

This petition is for Kryon Horman and for every child NATION WIDE to be provided SAFETY AND SECURITY. No child should ever be put in a position where their safety is put to the test and left in question.

This petition is for everyone to join together and make it mandatory that every school should have a survalence system and provide a system of security for every student/child attending.
<snipped from FB site to explain what this is about>

Do you agree that every school should be required to have a surveillance system? And should it be called "Kyron's Law"?

While the school should have had a better call system in place regarding absenteeism and notifying the parents of absences; while I agree that all children should feel/be safe in school, I am not sure I support mandatory security cameras in all schools. Show me actual statistics first.
I think the school is being unfairly targeted in that, had Terri not carried out her plan the way she did, she would have disappeared Kyron differently had she known and had Skyline had a security system ie cameras in place. I would really hate to see Skyline have to settle a lawsuit for something that Terri clearly manipulated and unfairly put the school in the center of.

I'm not going to sign up for a website to sign a petition nor would I sign one if it had so many misspellings. Maybe the FB has the misspellings? I couldn't get to the actual Kyron's Law sign up without signing up, creating a login so I couldn't see the actual wording.

I would be willing to sign something like this. And I do believe there will be a Kyron's Law of some sort just as there is Megan's, etc. in the future.

Thanks Kimster.

This petition is for Kryon Horman and for every child NATION WIDE to be provided SAFETY AND SECURITY. No child should ever be put in a position where their safety is put to the test and left in question.

This petition is for everyone to join together and make it mandatory that every school should have a succulence system and provide a system of security for every student/child attending.

Do you agree that every school should be required to have a surveillance system? And should it be called "Kyron's Law"?

I most certainly do agree.

This is not only about Kyron but if there is absolutely no security measures inside and outside of our schools this could happen to another child. I have read about people pretending to be the parent of the child and took them when they did not have a legal right to take the child from school and the school let them. I have also read about predators luring little children off of the school grounds in order to do harm to them.

We must do everything humanly possible to keep our children safe. School should be one of the safest places for all of our children.

And if no one saw Kyron leaving by himself or leaving with Terri then he could have left with anyone and no one seemed to even notice Kyron. That is unacceptable.

All of my grandchildren's schools have long ago implemented these security measures and they have never "lost" not even one child......because one is too many to lose.

IMO

This petition is for everyone to join together and make it mandatory that every school should have a survalence system and provide a system of security for every student/child attending.

With the custody battles going on, internet pedophiles, internet pickups, I believe measures to ensure the safety of our children is a great idea. If there are security cameras in parking lots stores, banks, prisons, why not schools. Lots of desperate predators out there. moo hoo

I think it's a great idea, keep in mind though, that Skyline Elementary might not even have one now if not for the most generous company that donated it. (God Bless them!) So the question is who will be willing to pay for it.

So, I'm guessing they're costly, but IMO most local taxpayers, who already pay property taxes, of which, at least here in OR, an exorbitant amount goes to schools, would definitely like to see part of that money go to this end. If a small property tax increase was presented and earmarked for just this reason, I'd vote for it in a hot minute.

Here in Michigan, lottery proceeds are "supposed" to go to the educational system. I don't see why state lottery assests shouldn't be tapped to ensure ALL schools in our state have surveillance systems.

I'd sign a legit petition to implement this. As some have mentioned, not an internet (FB) petition, though.

Some of the proceeds from Oregon's Lottery already go to Education. It's just never enough. We've had huge bond measures in the last few years that passed (barely) and it's still not enough. So while I would love to see security cameras, I agree that paying for it is going to be the sticking point for the masses. Individual schools could try to raise funds through auctions or fundraisers of some sort but I can't see it mandated across the boards without digging into taxpayers pockets. Then there are people like me who go to a private school. I'd have to pay extra in my taxes if something like that passed but still not get it for my own school without a fundraiser myself.

Now the automated call back system I think is much more doable and should be in all schools.

I have a sense that once this case is opened up, we might want a different Kyron's law, related to the surprises alluded to in the recent PC.

But really, we do need and expect surveillance at schools now. It's a different thing, in my mind, to mandate that everywhere, though, if only because the effectiveness of installed systems everywhere can't be compared like so many apples and apples.

Surveillance in the school systems could be of great value. It would help with bullies, children skipping class and unwanted people roaming the halls. It would allow school officials to be everywhere at one time. I think that it would be a great thing.

I have a sense that once this case is opened up, we might want a different Kyron's law, related to the surprises alluded to in the recent PC.

But really, we do need and expect surveillance at schools now. It's a different thing, in my mind, to mandate that everywhere, though, if only because the effectiveness of installed systems everywhere can't be compared like so many apples and apples.

BBM. Good point, and I agree. Until we know exactly what happened to Kyron and other details of his disappearance, I don't think there should be a rush to judgment that surveillance technology at Skyline would have prevented this situation. jmo

I don't know...there are so many things schools need that many can't afford. Some schools can't even affords books, etc...I'm not sure right now that a law is justified. Sure, it would be nice to have security cameras in every school, it would be nice to have lots of things...but they still have to be financed.

I think I will sit this one out...

I don't know about mandating a law, but I sure see a way that Kaine's fundraising efforts could be used for the good. Instead of spending money from what they've already raised buying bracelets and tee-shirts with Kyron's picture on them, why not raise funds for installing systems into the schools? Dunno, but I could see where it has the potential to go national if done legitimately. I would have thought they'd have used the funds to buy a PI, but so far, according to Desiree on Oprah, they're just selling the bracelets and tee-shirts to raise funds for ..... something in the future. This seems like a good cause.

I joined!!!
I am shocked in both the Haleigh case and Kyron case the attendence log wasn't right.

I don't know about mandating a law, but I sure see a way that Kaine's fundraising efforts could be used for the good. Instead of spending money from what they've already raised buying bracelets and tee-shirts with Kyron's picture on them, why not raise funds for installing systems into the schools? Dunno, but I could see where it has the potential to go national if done legitimately. I would have thought they'd have used the funds to buy a PI, but so far, according to Desiree on Oprah, they're just selling the bracelets and tee-shirts to raise funds for ..... something in the future. This seems like a good cause.

In the beginning when they wanted to get Kyron's name and face out into the public as widely as possible (and what better way to do that than create walking billboards of people that will travel and advertise wherever they go), the t-shirts and wristbands were a great idea. Which is why so many people utilize them for just such a cause.

Since people haven't donated very much in the way of hard $$ to Kyron's cause, it wouldn't have made sense to spend the money on a few hours of PI time or .01% of a security system. Far more sensible to do what they have with the money people donated. They were responsible to have done so.

Hopefully if they start a cause specifically addressing the electronic security needs of schools, not only individuals but businesses as well will donate equipment and money to fund cameras and other systems. I hope it works!

I am in favor of a law that mandates two things:

1. Every school have operating security cameras.

(These are gong to catch a lot more than abductions, which are extremely rare within schools. They will also catch bullying, harassment, trespassers, drug deals, truancy, etc.)

2. Every school be required to notify parents/guardians within one hour after the beginning of school if a student is marked absent.

("Notify" does not mean "leave a message." "Notify" means "personally speak with over the phone.")

I don't know that an internet petition is going to make any headway in getting such a law on the books. It will take a lot of publicity and lobbying lawmakers.

Hoppy

I'm not going to sign up for a website to sign a petition nor would I sign one if it had so many misspellings. Maybe the FB has the misspellings? I couldn't get to the actual Kyron's Law sign up without signing up, creating a login so I couldn't see the actual wording.

I would be willing to sign something like this. And I do believe there will be a Kyron's Law of some sort just as there is Megan's, etc. in the future.

Thanks Kimster.
I don't think Kimster was asking you to sign the petition, but rather she was asking:
>>Do you agree that every school should be required to have a surveillance system? And should it be called "Kyron's Law"?<<

I don't think Kimster was asking you to sign the petition, but rather she was asking:
>>Do you agree that every school should be required to have a surveillance system? And should it be called "Kyron's Law"?<<

Correct. I don't really even believe that online petitions work, but I could be wrong! LOL

Surveillance in the school systems could be of great value. It would help with bullies, children skipping class and unwanted people roaming the halls. It would allow school officials to be everywhere at one time. I think that it would be a great thing.

I really agree, BUT I live in California. Our schools are very open. They are often built with unconnected buildings and open walkways. Students, even elementary students, walk outside of the classroom to a restroom down the walkway.

I've always thought having cameras at the entrances would be a discourage unwanted behaviors, but these cameras could not prevent someone from entering over a fence, etc. Cameras would make our schools safer, but not intruder proof.

However, unless someone was hired to watch the cameras constantly, these cameras would be merely a reference to check on intrusions, etc. Considering the fact that we still don't have a budget for this year and the state is in the red, I don't think having an employee to just watch video feed would be viable. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back