644 users online (72 members and 572 guests)  

Websleuths News

AZ - Douglas Mueller, 19, Scottsdale, 15 March 1977

Douglas Alan Mueller

Endangered Missing

Missing From: Scottsdale, Arizona

Missing Since: March 15, 1977

Age: 19 -- Height: 6'0"-6'1" -- Weight: 175-185 lbs -- Hair Color: Blonde -- Eye Color: Blue

Douglas was last seen at work in Scottsdale, Arizona on March 15, 1977. His car was discovered almost a month later at the Phoenix airport. His father received a message saying that Douglas had been kidnapped, and demanding money for his safe return.

Doe Network

Charley Project

Douglas Alan Mueller

Mueller, 19, disappeared from Scottsdale, Arizona on March 15, 1977. His family got a note from people saying he had been kidnapped. The note demanded a ransom for his safe return. Mueller's family paid the ransom but he never came home.

His leg bone was found in a remote area of Phoenix called Pinnacle Peak in 2006. It wasn't identified until 2011. His death is being investigated as a homicide.

Former Faribault County Commissioner Barb Steier has had some recent experience with this kind of case.

Her 17-year-old cousin, Doug Mueller, went missing in the Phoenix, Ariz., area in 1977.

A ransom note was found and the ransom paid by Steier’s uncle and aunt, but the ransom was never picked up.

Over the years the case grew cold. There were ‘sightings’ of Doug many times, but they never panned out.

Five years ago a human leg bone was found in a remote area of Phoenix called Pinnacle Peak.

Finally this last spring an investigator researched all the many missing persons cases in the Phoenix area (I guess there are many of them) and came across the case of Doug Mueller.

A DNA test, which took quite a while to complete, matched the DNA of the bone to that of other members of the Mueller family. It was, indeed, Doug Mueller’s leg bone.

Steier says the family has wondered for over 30 years what happened to Doug and now they at least have some closure.

However, the exact details of his death are not known. His death has become a homicide case and is still being investigated.

But the trail is quite cold and may never be solved.

More: http://www.faribaultcountyregister.c....html?nav=5001

Penn's woods

by Mike Watkiss

Posted on October 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Updated Thursday, Oct 13 at 11:19 AM

Video of siblings of Doug at link

Penn's woods

1977 Scottsdale kidnapping cold case now a homicide

by KTAR.com (October 20th, 2011 @ 8:46pm)

Chicago burbs
    Wow. I am glad the family finally has answers. I pray some leads open up in this case as to who was responsible. My thoughts and prayers are with Dougs family, friends and all who knew and loved him.

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Oh Captain, My Captain
    RIP Doug. My heart goes out to your family and the law enforcement officers who never stopped searching.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Wow. Just wow! I hope they can find the murderer(s) after all these years.

Listed as a cold case by Scottsdale PD:

Douglas Mueller failed to return home from his job at the Whiting Brothers station located at 7630 E McDowell. On 9/23/07 at approximately 3:45PM, a human femur bone was discovered by a Scottsdale resident while out on a walk. The femur was discovered at 23993 N. 74th Pl in the area of Los Portones and Thompson Peak Pkwy.