VA VA - Billy Maxwell, 17, Goochland County, 18 Sept 2010

Shutterfly

Reaction score
http://www.wtvr.com/wtvr--goochland-teen-dead,0,675952.story

Investigators say 17 year-old Billy Maxwell was found lying in the middle of the road

*snipped

Police say at approximately 3:00 a.m. Saturday, someone called police to report a body lying in the middle of Broad Street and Maidens Road in Goochland County.

It is not exactly clear as to all of the circumstances surrounding the death of 17 year-old Billy Lee Maxwell III. Upon the arrival of emergency crews, Maxwell was found unresponsive with severe injuries. He would later succumb to those injuries at the scene.

Investigators believe that Maxwell died between 1:30 a.m. – 3:00 a.m.

The Goochland County Sheriff's Office and Virginia State Police are working closely together to determine the events that ended in this tragic loss of life. No vehicles or other people were at the scene when this incident was reported or when authorities arrived. They are not sure whether he was a passenger in a car earlier in the night, or a pedestrian who was hit and killed by a vehicle.

Maxwell's body has been taken to the Medical Examiner's office for an autopsy to determine cause of death.

Investigators are asking to hear from anyone who may have seen anything in the area of Broad Street Road between Oilville and Maidens Rd from 1:30am to 3am.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13177679

Teen dies along road in Goochland County

*snipped

GOOCHLAND, VA (WWBT) – A 17-year-old boy was discovered critically injured early Saturday morning in Goochland County.

Police say a passerby found Billy L. Maxwell III along Broad Street Road just east of Maidens Road.

When officers arrived Maxwell was unresponsive and would later succumb to his injuries.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/news/2010/sep/19/gooc19-ar-512893/

Goochland teen dies in apparent hit-and-run

*snipped

Goochland, Va. --
A 17-year-old Goochland teen died early yesterday morning after emergency responders found him in the middle of Broad Street Road, the apparent victim of a hit-and-run.

Billy Lee Maxwell III was severely injured and unresponsive when emergency crews responded to the scene just east of Maidens Road after receiving a 911 call, the sheriff's department said in a news release.

*snipped

Anyone with information about the incident -- particularly if they saw anything between 1:30 and 3 a.m. in the vicinity of Broad Street Road between Oilville and Maidens roads -- can call the Goochland Sheriff's Office

OMG, poor boy. It sounds like it might have been a hit and run. Bless the person that stopped and called for help.

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13180452

Authorities seek clues to teen's death

(*snipped)

BillyMaxwell.jpg

By: Laura Geller

GOOCHLAND, VA (WWBT) - Goochland Sheriff James Agnew doesn't have many clues as to exactly how 17-year old Billy Lee Maxwell III died.

"We are virtually going to be handicapped with no information until someone does come forward," he said.

Friends tell us Maxwell was with them at a party earlier Friday night.

When one friend wanted to leave, Maxwell said he'd get a different ride home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What a beautiful boy.

We had a case a few years ago where a young man about 23 was found lying in the road. He bled out right there in the street. A drunk driver had hit him and kept going. He took a year for the guy to finally confess. He said at the time he thought he hit a dog. Didn't matter, he should have stopped to check. I guess his own hide was more important than anything or anyone he hit.

I wonder if the ME will be able to find any paint or any other identifying marks that would lead them to a vehicle?

It is extremely common to speed on these roads....and me thinks the timing may have a lot to do with probably partying at someone's house and then going home....many of the homes out here are so isolated that it wouldn't be a short drive home. A lot of people just stay the night at the house they are at - simply because it's just too far to go home (especially if drinking is involved). RIP Billy...hope they find some answers.

PS - There are SO many deer here - if an inebriated driver heard a clunk, he would have assumed it was a deer. Since moving here from FL, I have to CONSTANTLY remind myself not to swerve...no matter what is in the road. That's horrible, isn't it? But many, many people have been killed trying to avoid a deer, dog, etc. on these roads...there isn't even a shoulder on a lot of them...just trees. The driver may have thought it was a deer. =(

Yes, it's possible the driver might have thought it was a deer, but if you were driving on THAT night, on THAT road, at THAT time of night and hit something...well, now that you know it wasn't a deer, wouldn't you come forward? I know you would, I just can't understand why whoever did this, if it was done without realizing it was a person, they haven't come forward. The charges would probably be a lot less than if they wait weeks, months, years before they come forward.

I totally agree...who knows if they have even seen the news....or have heard about it.

FWIW, I was not defending someone if they thought they ran over a deer =( I haven't, but I sure as heck would go back and look. Hopefully this person wasn't so intoxicated that they have no memory...I'm hoping their car is pretty damaged (if it was a car) and that someone will put two and two together. I can't imagine what kind of person wouldn't come forward if they knew they did this =(

Truthful Lies, I'm sorry. I wasn't insinuating that you wouldn't stop if you thought you had hit a deer. Now, being female, if it was a dark road I might not stop but I think I would call LE and tell them I hit something.

What a cute kid. :(

Prayers for his family.

"UPDATE: Person responsible for Goochland teen's death not coming forward"

"The medical examiner has announced the cause of death to be a severe head injury and has been determined to be accidental."

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13186504

Read the comments....someone mentions a name and asks where that person's car is.

"UPDATE: Person responsible for Goochland teen's death not coming forward"

"The medical examiner has announced the cause of death to be a severe head injury and has been determined to be accidental."

http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=13186504

Read the comments....someone mentions a name and asks where that person's car is.

I find it rather odd that the medical examiner is calling it accidental. Since they have no idea what happened, that seems like an awfully big supposition to me.

I find it rather odd that the medical examiner is calling it accidental. Since they have no idea what happened, that seems like an awfully big supposition to me.

You're right...I'm guessing they only said it because his injuries were consistent with a car hit, and not repeated blows, etc. =( But, what rules out the possibility that someone ran him down intentionally?

I wonder if maybe he had passed out along the road and was hit? It's so sad and disturbing. What disturbs me most is that SOMEONE knows who hit this young man. The person that did it, possibly passengers in the vehicle, and maybe a friend or family member this person confessed to. I wonder if the person that did already has been in trouble and is hesitant to let the police know. It doesn't matter, someone needs to come clean.

I wonder if it is possible that he was intoxicated from the party, began walking home and passed out in the road? However, someone still ran over him and needs to come forward. There is every chance they didn't realize what they hit, but they must have figured it out by now and need to present themselves to LE for questioning.

They must have determined it from the injury pattern.

That's what I was thinking...and since trucks are so common here (dualies, too) it's possible the vehicle is undamaged if it were big/heavy enough and he was already on the ground.

You guys wanna see where "it" happened? I came up with this based on landmarks from news media video, of investigators, and video of the family of this child at the scene.... I don't see much chance of any 'staging' going on, as is being discussed on news boards. There are lots of places to dump a victim or a body in this area, so why dump someone out of a car right next to a bunch of houses, right? I can't imagine anything other than thrown out or a car, intoxicated and passed out, or severely beaten prior to winding up in the road. Badly beaten stands out to me...and maybe he was trying to get home. They were looking, originally, for evidence from Maidens Road all the way to Oilville...that's a distance of five miles.

They'd have tox by now, right, so we can prolly scratch off alcohol as a contributing factor?

I'm assuming they found the driver who hit Billy and they've determined the driver wasn't at fault, probably scared to come forward at first I suppose. I don't know how else they'd know now that they now say he may have been already lying in the road when he was struck.

Don't mind me....I'm just rambling.....
Maxwell.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member