UT UT - Salt Lake City, WhtMale 25-35, 1717UMUT, in canal, scars, clothes, watch, Mar'82

chaddylex

Verified local - Rebecca Stahl case
Reaction score
http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase2141.html

https://identifyus.org/cases/6948

Unidentified White Male

The victim was discovered on March 12, 1982 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah.
Estimated Date of Death: 1981-1982.
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction.
Cause of Death: Unknown.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated Age: 25-35 years old.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3" to 5'5" and 140-150 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black or dark brown hair with some gray,
black mustache, and brown eyes.
Clothing: Levi jeans, a heavy coat with wool lining, a black and white striped
shirt with a western design, and heavy socks. No shoes were located.
Jewelry: Seiko digital wrist watch, silver in color. The watch was an hour
ahead of the local time and was still working
. The watch was made in 1980.
Medical: X-rays indicated lower back surgery. The incision was on the front part
of his body just below the navel.
Dentals: Available. X-rays are available. Number nine chipped 12, 15, 21,
MODFLCR /5 cavity present.
DNA: Not available.
Fingerprints: Available. RT: 11 pm 58 co 15; LT: 29 pm 01 10 09.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The victim was found floating in the surplus canal. He had a wire around his neck. He had been in the canal
for several months.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3898dmks.html

Missing since February 19, 1982 from El Dorado, Butler County, Kansas
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: December 9, 1945
Age at Time of Disappearance: 37 years old - Close to UID AgeDistinguishing Characteristics: White male. Black hair.

Circumstances of Disappearance
In February of 1982 Ross and his brother went to a house in the El Dorado area to collect some money. The two drove separately, and upon arriving Ross told his younger brother to leave and they would meet up later. They never did. Days went by with no word from Ross.
The car Ross had driven to the house in Butler County, was found parked in front of what at the time was a Wichita nightclub, at the corner of Lincoln and Governeur. Ross' mother and brothers went to his apartment on East Harry. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary except there was no sign of Ross.
The KBI and the Butler County Sheriff investigated but say there wasn't enough evidence to make an arrest.
Ross is described as a good man who got mixed up with dangerous people.

Namus Link https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/7614/0/

Why I think this could be a possible match:

*Namus lists that Ross as 65 inches 5'5 - close to the UID (lists between 5'3- 5'5)
*Age is close
* Time frame is close Ross went missing 2/19/82 - UID found 3/12/82
* Black Hair
* UID had a watch on that was an hour before Utah time (Kansas is an hour ahead)
What do you think??

Things that make me question the match???

Clothing does not match, but who is to say he didn't change his clothes after the last person that saw him alive?

Ross isn't listed as having a prior back surgery..

Should I submit?

The clothing and the lack of mention of back surgery don't give me pause at all. I am a little troubled by the discrepancy in body weight. The UID is estimated at 140-150 lb, Ross Crane's weight in the NamUs profile is given as 120-125 lb.

However, it's possible that Ross Crane's weight is an estimate given the notes under Police Information, and maybe it's plausible that the UID could have taken on 2 to 3 gallons of water during the time the body spent in the surplus canal; I don't know anything about decomposition under those conditions.

That note about the watch time is really intriguing. Did you see any other possibilities missing from the central time zone, or was Ross Crane the only match?

When it said an hour ahead, I thought it meant earlier, as in Pacific time.
For instance, 5:00 in Utah, an hour ahead = 4:00 Pacific.

When it said an hour ahead, I thought it meant earlier, as in Pacific time.
For instance, 5:00 in Utah, an hour ahead = 4:00 Pacific.

It said an hour ahead of local time, which I took it as Kansas (where Ross is from, is an hour ahead of Utah)

Zinc,

I thought about the weight issue also, but if the body was in water for awhile, wouldn't it bloat a little? (I wouldn't think 25 lbs) but maybe a few.. and I think the weight of the UID could be estimated...

If the address is correct this is out by the Salt Lake International airport. Lots of sagebrush, but not much else.

The clothing and the lack of mention of back surgery don't give me pause at all. I am a little troubled by the discrepancy in body weight. The UID is estimated at 140-150 lb, Ross Crane's weight in the NamUs profile is given as 120-125 lb.

However, it's possible that Ross Crane's weight is an estimate given the notes under Police Information, and maybe it's plausible that the UID could have taken on 2 to 3 gallons of water during the time the body spent in the surplus canal; I don't know anything about decomposition under those conditions.

That note about the watch time is really intriguing. Did you see any other possibilities missing from the central time zone, or was Ross Crane the only match?

Zinc, I compared other missing people in that time frame, and Ross is the only one that I thought matched up the best.

It said an hour ahead of local time, which I took it as Kansas (where Ross is from, is an hour ahead of Utah)

Zinc,

I thought about the weight issue also, but if the body was in water for awhile, wouldn't it bloat a little? (I wouldn't think 25 lbs) but maybe a few.. and I think the weight of the UID could be estimated...

You're probably right about the interpretation, but it did make me wonder which way the person who wrote the report intended it.

I would think the weight after that amount of time and after being in the water could be off quite a bit. The back surgery gives me pause, but the person who reported Ross missing might not have known about it or thought to mention it, or it might not be included in the report even if it was mentioned. The match definitely looks good enough to call in.

You're probably right about the interpretation, but it did make me wonder which way the person who wrote the report intended it.

I would think the weight after that amount of time and after being in the water could be off quite a bit. The back surgery gives me pause, but the person who reported Ross missing might not have known about it or thought to mention it, or it might not be included in the report even if it was mentioned. The match definitely looks good enough to call in.

Thanks carbuff... Since one of you good sleuthers said it looks good enough to call in, I will ... (I will send an email).. :crazy:

I just sent an email to the Case Manager handling the UID's case.... and I just got a read receipt that it was read!! Wow that was fast! I like know if my emails get read or not.

Okay... he already responded he said:

Perfect, thanks for the infor I will look into it…

Cody

His signature is that he is a detective of Homicide Unit...

Yeah! It was read in a matter of like 3 minutes!

I just sent an email to the Case Manager handling the UID's case.... and I just got a read receipt that it was read!! Wow that was fast! I like know if my emails get read or not.

Okay... he already responded he said:

Perfect, thanks for the infor I will look into it…

Cody

His signature is that he is a detective of Homicide Unit...

Yeah! It was read in a matter of like 3 minutes!

any feedback from your submission? I did not see any rule-outs for the UID at his Namus profile.

I did, he said that he was in contact with the Butler County's PD who is handling Ross's case to see if he can get dentals. I would say I received that email last month, before Thanksgiving. (he sent it to my work email, I am at home, I am off until Tuesday) I will send a followup next week

I did, he said that he was in contact with the Butler County's PD who is handling Ross's case to see if he can get dentals. I would say I received that email last month, before Thanksgiving. (he sent it to my work email, I am at home, I am off until Tuesday) I will send a followup next week

Okay, the last email I received from Cody Lougy (that is the contact person for this UID) was on November 19th, 2010. Here was his response:

Just wanted to touch base with you on your email… I did look into it, but it appears that the clothing doesn’t match. I have asked the assigned investigator to get in touch with me and we can compare the fingerprints. Thanks tons for checking into this…The dates match and he was found close to a freeway….

I couldn't remember if it was dentals or fingerprints he wanted to compare and he said fingerprints. I just sent him a followup email. I will let you know if and when I get a response. (Nice thing was when I received this email in November, he emailed me on his own, without me asking for a followup.)

About his watch....I am wondering if his watch could have been an hour ahead of local time (Utah) because daylight saving time had started and he died before it was time to change the time back when daylight saving time had ended.

In 1981, Daylight Saving Time started on Sunday, April 26 and ended on Sunday, October 25.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/clockchange.html?n=220&year=1981

Huh, still no rule outs on NamUs... Also, no recon? Bumping though!

https://bci.utah.gov/missing-persons/unidentified-persons/#unidentified-male-salt-lake

[FONT=&amp]
  • Body Found: 3/13/1982
  • DOB: 1947-1957
  • Height: 5'2" to 5'5"
  • Weight: 145
  • Hair: Dark Brown/Slightly Grey
  • Eyes: Brown
  • Race: White
  • Identifying Features: Surgery on his 2nd and 3rd lumbar vertebae
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]CONTACT: Salt Lake City Police [/FONT](801) 799-3560[FONT=&amp]. On 3/13/1982 the body of a white male was located. The decedent was a white male between the ages of 25 and 35 years old. He was between 5’02” and 5’05” and likely weighed around 145 pounds. He was wearing blue jeans, long sleeved western type shirt/ black and white, Levi coat with wool lining, long wool socks and jockey shorts. He had back surgery on his 2nd and 3rd lumbar vertebae. He had scars on his left arm and left wrist. He was also wearing a silver seiko watch[/FONT]

frustratingly, on this site, he and John Doe 1998 have been combined into one? (If you scroll down). I may have to contact them about that. Yikes!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back