906 users online (140 members and 766 guests)  

Websleuths News

PA - Police Arrest Woman Who Handed Baby To Stranger

Police have arrested a woman who handed her infant baby to a stranger yesterday in North Philly.

Sharon Rivera aged 24 was either high or drunk when she handed over her 2 month old son over to a stranger on the street. A woman spotted Rivera at 10:30 PM with a baby improperly clothed. The woman asked Rivera if she wanted to come in her house to get herself together. At that Rivera handed over the infant and left.

The woman kept the baby overnight.She called police at 8:25AM the next morning. The baby was turned over to DHS. Rivera was located with the help of family members and arrested.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/loca..._stranger.html

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    bizarro world

hey, someone I don't know left her baby in my house last night and yeah, I just thought I'd hang onto the kid for a few hours in case momma came back but well, I have plans today so can you come get it now?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    bizarro world

hey, someone I don't know left her baby in my house last night and yeah, I just thought I'd hang onto the kid for a few hours in case momma came back but well, I have plans today so can you come get it now?
    You kiddin, Lady L? That neighborhood? It's like another world. That lady probably didn't give it a second thought. "Eh, I'll call tomorrow".

It's good she did though. Man, the last thing I'd want someone to do is give me an infant. However, in this case in all honesty if someone was that high I wouldn't let them in my house but I would try to help them and make sure the baby was alright. Get the baby to a safe place. Call the cops. Try to find her family. Whatever it took.

Trust me I wouldn't keep the child overnight that's for sure.

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    She should have called police as soon as she went home. That poor baby if the wrong person was given that baby who knows how this would have turned out.I hope this mother loses custody if she wants to kill herself slowly with drugs so be it but to endanger a child like this is unforgivable IMO.
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09

Justice for Travis 5/8/13

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

Even though she should have called as soon as possible atleast the baby was taken care of and the mother did not just abandon the baby in a alley/garbage can, ect...

I think this happens allot and people keep the baby and say they adopted the infant.
    More and more mothers are abandoning their children..........
    Same here in Pittsburgh area.
    They either beat them to death, leave them on the streets or hand them over.
    IIRC a man tried to sell his tiny daughter in front of a store for a FIX.
    What a wacked out world.
    These people on drugs or whatever keep breeding............
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

The place where this occured is in a neighborhood where there's chaos constantly. Socio economically the people there are not doing all that well. It has high crime and drugs are rampant.

O.K. so not excusing the mother of course. I am not excusing the good sammaritan for waiting. However, she may not have had a phone. It was 10:30PM maybe if she didn't have a phone walking around after dark is kind of risky especially with an infant so maybe she had to use a payphone? Maybe not. Maybe she truly believed she was helping. Maybe she herself has been in the custody of CPS and had an awful experience. Maybe she does not have legal status here and was afraid to call. Maybe she has people in her household would forbid her to call?

Again no excuse but I have to say it wouldn't be like I could just try and help and call 911 on my cell phone. Like I said it's different circumstances. I'm glad baby doll is O.K. though.

I agree, Filly, that there may be many valid reasons for her delay in calling police. The point is, she did the right thing and kept the baby safe in the meantime. I can't find any fault with that.

I am glad that this being a not so good area, that a person who would care for the baby happened to be the one the baby was left with. This could have turned out very differently!