Watch out for the Super Harvest Moon TONIGHT

Dark Knight

Reaction score
Sept. 22, 2010: For the first time in almost 20 years, northern autumn is beginning on the night of a full Moon. The coincidence sets the stage for a "Super Harvest Moon" and a must-see sky show to mark the change of seasons.

The action begins at sunset on Sept 22nd, the last day of northern summer. As the sun sinks in the west, bringing the season to a close, the full Harvest Moon will rise in the east, heralding the start of fall. The two sources of light will mix together to create a kind of 360-degree, summer-autumn twilight glow that is only seen on rare occasions.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/22sep_harvestmoon/

The moon should be a spectacular site!
I am praying the moonbeams show the way home for many missing people!
Ha, the looney's will go wild under thi one! JMOO

tonight I shall be dancing barefoot under the moon light!

Hope every body enjoys the moon light!

http://www.jackstargazer.com/scripts0SG1037.html
This is pretty interesting:

Now the reason the full Moon always looks bigger when it's close to the horizon than when it's overhead is one of the grandest illusions of nature.
snip

But an even more fun way to prove this illusion is to bend over at the waist and watch the rising Harvest Moon upside down between your legs. Because, bingo, it will instantly look smaller than when you look at it right side up. The reason for this is still being argued. But believe me it's one heck of an illusion. So don't miss next week's three nights of the Harvest Moon and as Jack always says, "Keep looking up!"

You will also have a great view of Jupiter with the moon.

Was pouring rain here at sunset :( All cleared up now :)

Oh, yeah, and the naked dancing...

http://www.jackstargazer.com/scripts0SG1037.html
This is pretty interesting:

Now the reason the full Moon always looks bigger when it's close to the horizon than when it's overhead is one of the grandest illusions of nature.
snip

But an even more fun way to prove this illusion is to bend over at the waist and watch the rising Harvest Moon upside down between your legs. Because, bingo, it will instantly look smaller than when you look at it right side up. The reason for this is still being argued. But believe me it's one heck of an illusion. So don't miss next week's three nights of the Harvest Moon and as Jack always says, "Keep looking up!"

Well, I'm sure not doing that tonight, cuz I still feel like carp, but I'll have the boys test it out. I'm seeing the big moon and what looks like a bright star below it -- is that Jupiter?

In West PA the HUGE moon tonight is absolutely gorgeous with a halo yellow hue effect all around it.

Well, I'm sure not doing that tonight, cuz I still feel like carp, but I'll have the boys test it out. I'm seeing the big moon and what looks like a bright star below it -- is that Jupiter?
yes that is Jupiter :)

If you have a telescope, Jupiter and it's moons have been awesome this summer!

Cloudy here but amazingly beautiful with the clouds floating across the moon...and I can see Jupiter below the moon on the right. Very cool indeed!

Just snapped a pic. It's not that good cuz I'm not a good photographer AND I don't have a great camera.

It's a clear night here and I can see the Moon and Jupiter, but I can't see any other stars. Weird -- where'd they all go?

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 39

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members