ND Lake Swallowing Land, Buildings

Dark Knight

Reaction score
DEVILS LAKE, N.D. -- It's been called a slow-growing monster: a huge lake that has steadily expanded over the last 20 years, swallowing up thousands of acres, hundreds of buildings and at least two towns in its rising waters.

Devils Lake keeps getting larger because it has no natural river or stream to carry away excess rain and snowmelt. Now it has climbed within 6 feet of overflowing, raising fears that some downstream communities could be washed away if the water level isn't reduced.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/25118367/detail.html

So $70M of pumps sit idle at the Great Salt Lake and this lake is a huge threat? What's wrong with this picture?

So $70M of pumps sit idle at the Great Salt Lake and this lake is a huge threat? What's wrong with this picture?

That's what I was thinking, but I wonder if they are simply too big to move that far. Plus the state owns them and may not want to risk shipping them, or even digging them up if they are mounted into the ground in any significant way. I dunno.

Wow, even if they had enough pumps, with Canada and parts of ND fighting the water being pumped out, it sounds like they need a different solution. It sounds like quite a problem!

I cannot believe they haven't came to a solution to this problem as yet. I guess they can't do anything its just mother nature. The small town of Minnewaukan will be history. On google maps you can see trees and fire hydrants in the water. The street is disappearing. So sad for the people that live there.

Put in 3668 C Street East, Minnewaukan, ND in google maps.

I agree with the doctor who said clear out the sediment in the outlet and reinforce it so it doesn't erode, again. He suggested cement, but I'd think rocks would work, too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back