CA CA - Lynn Bandringa, 21, Hesperia, 29 May 1967

Odyssey

Verfied Insider Diane Genice Dye
Reaction score
Here is the summary from charleyproject, listing her as missing with few details available.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bandringa_lynn.html

Here is the profile from the CA Department of Justice, listing her as voluntary missing:

http://dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=4360507400302

When I tried to google search her name, I found something odd in the google news archives. Down a ways in the search results there is a snippet from an article titled "Bride, 21, Believed Kidnapped" and the snippet reads "Mrs Lynn. Bandringa a 21yearold bride of seven weeks who has been missing since Monday is now believed to be a kidnap victim the sheriff's office disclosed"

That is all of the article I can see, if I click on the link I am asked to pay to view. This article was from 1967, is definitely the same person and may be more reliable than the profiles that were made more recently. Does anyone have access to LA Times archives through another site that might be able to view this??

Here is the google search results, the article is toward the bottom: (or search news archives for Lynn Bandringa, you can find it that way)

http://www.google.com/search?q=lynn...t&sa=X&ei=ATycTKz6CY6gsQPuq9DVAQ&ved=0CA8QpwU

Any help appreciated, very curious about this, and wondering if LE may be ignoring this case because it doesn't state she was believed to be kidnapped!!!

If you click on the PTV/PPV article you will see it is only 87 words so a fairly short article. Not much longer than the snippet you found via google search.

I wonder if Lynn's case is listed with NamUs.

I can't help you Odyssey. I don't have access to the LA Times archives.

I just wanted to let you know that the other articles that pop up mentioning a woman with the same first name and same last name located in Spokane---she has a middle initial of F.

I saw those, Kat, I think that was the same Lynn Bandringa who was trying to get a flight into Canada... I thought that could very likely be her until I stumbled onto the "kidnap" angle in that other article. I wonder what made them think that back in the day, and why the State of CA is showing "Voluntary Missing" now. They might have changed their minds but I'm thinking more than likely there was a miscommunication.

IMHO it warrants a phone call to LE to ask why she was reported kidnapped and why they changed their minds.

It if was a miscommunication, her missing flyers need to be updated and if they still think she was kidnapped, the FBI can asked to be involved, might open her case right up.

Well we can hope it would

JMHO.

Lynn Bandringa was last seen in Phelan, California on May 29, 1967. She was 21 years of age when she disappeared under suspicious circumstances.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...f-Department-Coroner-Division/185130011517258

San Bernardino County Sheriff Department - Coroner Division Facebook Page link above.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2386

Bandringa was last seen in Hesperia, California on May 29, 1967. She was 21 years of age when she disappeared under suspicious circumstances. She is described as a white female, 5'5", 119 lbs, with short blonde hair and green eyes.
Dental chart available on Documents page and/or CA DOJ-MUPS (missing.persons@doj.ca.gov) and/or Coroner Division.
DNA (CODIS MP-05-0041) available (Multiple DNA profiles may be on file)

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2386

Some new developments here... but yes, I have hit a brick wall again.

Here are links to a couple scanned articles about her disappearance:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...eresearches/historicalsociety/missing1967.htm

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb...researches/historicalsociety/missing19672.htm

The first article states that she disappeared from her home and did not take anything with her, and that she left her dogs running loose. Her husband did not see any reason why she would disappear, and claimed no problems in the marriage.

The second article states that they owned a Trailer Sales Company, and that she was last seen there by a customer, and when her husband got home, she had disappeared.

I looked on Ancestry (I do not have a subscription so could only access limited info) and saw that there was a divorce on file for Philip Bandringa and "Lynne M Wittaker" (Note both first and last names are spelled incorrectly). I do not know the date of the divorce, and assumed that it was granted after her disappearance, based on the fact that she was missing.

Then I started searching for her parents.. turns out both are deceased, but I stumbled onto this:

http://www.wadeprater.com/tng/familygroup.php?familyID=F2472&tree=00Main

Note that the first daughter (identified only as "Living" and "Female") listed appears to have been married to William S Leerskov (William is deceased).

So I went back to Ancestry and searched for info on this guy, thinking maybe he was married to one of Lynn's siblings... he married a LYNNE M WHITTAKER! This marriage took place in San Bernardino Co, but again I can't see the date.

I have tried to search for a Lynn or Lynne Leerskov but public records turn up nothing... so where the heck did she go???

I am thinking she is alive... any ideas on where else to search? I have submitted what I have found to LE...

Taken from LDS https://www.familysearch.org/search...ery=+givenname:"LYNNE M"~ +surname:WHITTAKER~

name: Lynne M Whittaker
event: Marriage
event date: 22 Jun 1963
event place: San Bernardino, California
estimated birth year: 1946
spouse: William S Leerskov
spouse's age: 19
spouse's estimated birth year: 1944
---------------------------

Thank you so much for posting that! It really hadn't occurred to me that the Leerskov marriage might have been prior to the Bandringa marriage... mainly due to her age... you may have just saved me a lot of searching in the wrong direction...

I'm afraid I don't see much else that would lead one to believe she disappeared voluntarily...

Several years back I submitted a potential match for this missing person but I can't seem to find which UID it was that I submitted. At that time there was no DNA or dentals on the UID, I believe. I can't locate the UID that it was, unless it is now showing DNA available. It could have been the one Pink Panther suggested or another UID. At the time the case manager said the body was buried but would be exhumed at some future date for DNA.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Lynn Marjorie Bandringa – The Charley Project

Lynn Marjorie Bandringa

• lynn_marjorie_bandringa_1.jpg
  • lynn_marjorie_bandringa_2.jpg
Bandringa, circa 1967

• Missing Since05/29/1967
  • Missing FromHesperia, California
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth08/01/1945 (73)
  • Age21 years old
  • Height and Weight5'5, 119 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry DescriptionA black sweater, Levi's jeans or dark-colored capri pants, and a headscarf.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Blonde hair, green eyes. Bandringa's maiden name is Whittaker and her former married name is Leerskov.
Details of Disappearance
Bandringa was last seen in Hesperia, California on May 29, 1967. She disappeared from her home in the 13800 block of Main Street sometime between 5:15 and 5:30 p.m. She and her husband and father-in-law owned a trailer sales business, Bandringra Trailer Sales, and their trailer home also served as the business's office. She may have been painting a wooden fence in front of the business at the time of her disappearance; a paint can and brush were left behind there. Two witnesses reported seeing her cross Hesperia Road heading away from the trailer. She didn't take any clothing, purse, identification or other belongings with her, and she left her two pet dogs running loose.

Bandringa has gotten married for only seven weeks before her disappearance, and her husband said they were happy and he couldn't think of any reason she would want to leave. He was with his father on a service call in Barstow, California on the day she disappeared, leaving her home to mind the office by herself. She is missing under suspicious circumstances and authorities believe she could have been taken against her will.

Prior to her marriage, Bandrindga lived with her parents in Rialto, California. She is a graduate of Eisenhower High School and had previously worked for a San Bernardino credit firm. Her case remains unsolved.

Well, here goes nothing. Between 5/1967 and 8/1967, Ted Bundy was attending Stanford University in San Francisco, and traveled often at great distances. He was also in Palo Alto, and other areas of California. While a considerable distance from Hesperia, it was his MO to drive great distances as to not draw suspicion to his location. She is of the same age of his other victims, and a suggestion that Lynn was "taken against her will" fits Bundy's MO of creating a ruse to lure women away. This would have been prior to his known killings in Washington in '73, but in my opinion, by then Ted could have been somewhat seasoned with his MO. Ted had a girlfriend at the time who lived in California and this was his incentive for moving and attending school at Stanford. May be a far stretch, but just something to consider as the timeline, characteristics and general circumstances apply.

I have only just taken an interest in Lynne's case, for which I apologise. I've spent a day and a half trawling the newspaper archives, and it makes sorry reading. I must say.
Now, I'm not discounting Bundy, it's a good theory, but there are some things that make me think this might be closer to home and must I stress these are my own opinions.
1) Lynne (The spelling in her high school yearbook) was wearing odd clothes for painting a white fence - black top, pants and a headscarf that covered her distinctive hair. In August?
2) There is no report that she was seen by any close friends or her own (Whittaker) family members any time during that day.
3) The last people to see her around 5.15 pm were two US Airmen [One an officer. The Sun-Telegram clearly feels that makes him a better witness], but there is no indication that they were actually acquainted with Lynne.

So I'm thinking there is no reliable witness to say Lynne actually disappeared at that particular time and place. It might well have been earlier that day, or who knows when.

Hmmm, no longer have I sorted out one theory, then others come thick and fast. Turns out, this was Lynne's second marriage, busy girl - so that increases the number of folk she could have upset exponentially.

And it was her first husband's second marriage - so many complicated relationships, and all by the time she was 21...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back