Identified! CA - Huntington Beach, WhtFem 457UFCA, 25-30, in field, Mar'68 - Anita Louise Piteau

branwynbreeze

Reaction score
I searched and did not see this case listed here. Please let me know if it has been discussed.

Due to blood type, I think this woman may be of Basque heritage. A number of Basque can easily be mistaken for white, as this is listed UWF.

The victim was discovered on March 14, 1968 in Huntington Beach, Orange County, California

* Estimated age: 20-30 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"; 130-140 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Dark brown hair; brown eyes. Well nourished, well developed. Pierced ears. Blood type “O-Negative”.
* Clothing: Black shoes, black plastic jacket, purple capri pants, multicolored blouse. Silver ring with light blue square stone.
* Dentals: Available. Teeth in poor condition, several caries, no restorations.
* Fingerprints: Available
Case History
The victim was located in a field near Yorktown & Newland, Huntington Beach, CA.

http://doenetwork.org/cases/457ufca.html

Attachments

• huntington beach457UFCA.jpg
    huntington beach457UFCA.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 283
I lived very close to that intersection in the late 1970's. I'd never heard of this case. Even in the 1970's, there were huge open spaces in Huntington Beach where it would have been easy to conceal a body. Newland is a straight shot up from the beach, and I'm sure there were plenty of unsavory characters hanging around in the 1960's. It's built up and gentrified now, but the area around the pier was pretty rugged up into the early to mid 1980's.

Thanks for your take on area. I looked at mapquest and it did seem area had been built up since 1968.

I am going to try searching news archives to see if there is any info on case. I wonder what was cause of death.

I drove by my old house a few years ago, and I almost couldn't find it because there were so many new housing tracts and streets that didn't exist when I lived there. The Orange County Register has always been the big new source for the area, but I seem to remember that there was a more local to HB paper. I think it was called the Pilot. I don't know when that paper started up, but they might have more 'locals only' information on the case.

Inital search turned up this:
Star News (Pasadena, CA)
1968-03-15, pg 32 under Whitter Librarian Raped, Strangled, last paragraph:

Meanwhile, Huntington Beach

police sought clues to the idenlily

of.'a brown-haired young

woman whose body was found

by children playing in a field.

The woman had been stabbed

several. times in the throat, officers

said. She was found face

down Thursday in a ditch with

her clothes in disarray.

Thanks for looking around. I do not think these two cases are connected. There is a thread somewhere in this forum for that JD, I couldn't locate it at moment. I am leaning towards OD in her case raqther than foul play.

LE has released a new sketch of this UID, as well as never-before-released photos found in a purse that was believed to be hers.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/04/dna-helps-california-cop-reopen-1968-jane-doe-cold-case/

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-hb-facebook-cold-case-murder,0,1966549.story

http://www.facebook.com/HuntingtonB...ing-victim-jane-doe-from-1968/182749291754372

It's a mystery why she was carrying two photos that appear to be high school portraits, both marked "Mom," if she was only 30 at the oldest.

Interesting comments on the facebook page for this Doe. Thanks for the update on this TaterTot.

While I was checking FB the photos were being pulled down. Weird, have them for 40 years and never bring it up then take them down. I wonder if they plan on reposting them.

I sent a little thank you post to HBPD.

Thanks for update!

Update from Huntington Beach PD's Facebook page:

Update on 1968 cold case - purse did not belong to Jane Doe and public's help still needed

by Huntington Beach Police Department on Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 9:51am

The detectives received several phone calls from people who recognized the young adults in Photo One and Photo Two. We have contacted them and are following up with the information. At this time we are confident the purse and the photographs it contained did not belong to Jane Doe.

We are still looking to identify Jane Doe and have numerous leads that we are working based on the composite drawing. Please continue to share this story with your friends and we are still looking for additional information and leads.

We moved the photographs to the photo album on our Facebook page but leaving the composite drawing of Jane Doe with the story.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/hunti...ne-doe-and-publics-help-still/182955265067108

I was reading through the comments on the Huntington Beach PD Facebook page, and came across a comment from a man who says that his mother, Patricia Jean Easter DOB 23-Feb-1938 was likely murdered by his father in the mid 1960's.

In one place he says that she disappeared six weeks after he was born in 1963, and that his father and step-mother took the family to Illinois in 1968. Nevertheless, he thinks that this Jane Doe might be his mother (which would be doubtful if she really did die six weeks after he was born).

He described his father as a very violent man who spent most of his life in and out of prison.

If you go to his facebook page, he has what he says is the only known photo of his mother. He says that she was about 24 years old in this photo (which would mean that the photo was taken around 1962). I expanded the photo and am posting it here, since I am unable to find anything on her in any of the MP sites.

2637847850045078242S600x600Q851_zpsd509cd38.jpg

She does bear a pretty good resemblance to the Huntington Beach Jane Doe, especially the older reconstruction.

2666079780045078242S600x600Q851_zpse9e87e2b.jpg
2968619320045078242S425x425Q851_zps134896d4.jpg

It is not even clear if she was ever reported missing. If not, he probably wouldn't be able to get her listed in DoeNet, Charley, or NamUs.

Another comment on the HBPD Facebook page comes from a woman who says that her sister has been missing from Pomona CA for 40 years. I am unable to find any listing for a female missing around 1970 from Pomona CA, nor can I find anyone with the same surname. The woman who posted appears to have a hyphenated name, so I am guessing her maiden name (and that of her sister) is the first of the two surnames. She also has her private message capability disabled on her facebook page, so I am unable to contact her for additional info.

It drives me nuts when I find out about MP's that are not listed, or who have no photos available, because I am always wondering if that person could be matched up to one of the old UID cases. :banghead:

Carl,
I saw the Facebook post too but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post it here or not. So, glad you did. I agree there is a good resemblance. I hope the police department follows up with this gentleman. I noticed his post asked them to check out the photo on his Facebook page. I hope he follows up with them directly. I know...it is sooo frustrating to think that there are missing persons cases sitting somewhere that have never been entered. I assume manpower is a problem. It drives me crazy to think that this could be why Walker County Jane Doe, Elderado Jane Doe and so many others have not been identified :(

Another comment on the HBPD Facebook page comes from a woman who says that her sister has been missing from Pomona CA for 40 years. I am unable to find any listing for a female missing around 1970 from Pomona CA, nor can I find anyone with the same surname. The woman who posted appears to have a hyphenated name, so I am guessing her maiden name (and that of her sister) is the first of the two surnames. She also has her private message capability disabled on her facebook page, so I am unable to contact her for additional info.

It drives me nuts when I find out about MP's that are not listed, or who have no photos available, because I am always wondering if that person could be matched up to one of the old UID cases. :banghead:

Here's the NamUs file for that woman's sister. It was just entered yesterday.

Terry Ann Kelley
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9223/0

Unfortunately, she didn't include a photo, and I can't find her in any of the available yearbooks from High Schools in Pomona in Classmates.com. Classmates has the 1968 and 1970 yearbooks for Pomona H.S., but none from that era for any of the other High Schools in Pomona.

It could be that she lived in another city and was in Pomona only for the annual LA County Fair.

Just read this article, with two user comments suggesting a link to the pictures in her purse

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/01/12/1969-calif-cold-case-possibly-tied-to-nyc/

2 Comments
Mike

Mike
I believe I am one of the boys in picture #5. From Atco, NJ. I would like to see the photos again to confirm, can you email me a link?

January 12, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Reply | Report comment

Joe Morales

I know one of the people pictured, his name is Allen Freilich and he was a classmate of mine at Evander Childs H.S. in the Bronx, class of’ ’68

January 12, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Reply | Report comment

Can someone get stills of the pictures in the purse from the video and add them here?

tia

I hope the person who made the comment about the picture being Allen Freilich follows up with LE. I found a picture of an Allen Freilich via google images (first pic from google images) which is a hunting photo, and while the person in the photo is wearing sunglasses, the mouth, nose and chin look spot on to the photo which appears to be the HS graduation photo found in the purse.

:doh: I just reread post 11 and LE has determined the purse found does NOT belong to the UID.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back