Judge halts criminal proceedings against Garrido over concerns about mental state

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
By Lisa Leff
Associated Press
Posted: 09/24/2010 01:44:25 PM PDT
Updated: 09/24/2010 04:19:17 PM PDT
PLACERVILLE -- A judge temporarily suspended criminal proceedings Friday against the man accused of kidnapping Jaycee Dugard when she was a child and holding her prisoner for 18 years near Antioch, citing concerns about the defendant's mental state.
El Dorado County Superior Court Judge Douglas Phimister made the decision after a short pretrial hearing for Phillip Garrido.
Phimister said he had concerns about Garrido's mental competency to participate in his defense on 29 counts of kidnapping, rape and false imprisonment in the 1991 disappearance of Dugard. A preliminary hearing in which prosecutors would have laid out their evidence against Garrido had been scheduled to start Oct. 7.
The judge did not halt proceedings against Garrido's wife, Nancy, who faces similar counts. more at link: http://www.contracostatimes.com/top-stories/ci_16165593

I wonder why the Judge only postponed PG's case but not Nancy's? She too is not a balanced person.
As long as neither walk free, as long as they are incarcerated, and remain so....I can wait...:)

I wonder why the Judge only postponed PG's case but not Nancy's? She too is not a balanced person.
As long as neither walk free, as long as they are incarcerated, and remain so....I can wait...:)
Apparently he was inattentive during the important proceedings, but then scribbling furiously when nothing of importance was going on...

He was competent enough to hide his actions from authorities for 18 years. He was competent enough to concoct cover stories for Jaycee and the girls. He was competent enough to fool authorities into releasing him early from both prison and parole supervision. I say he is competent to stand trial.

He was competent enough to hide his actions from authorities for 18 years. He was competent enough to concoct cover stories for Jaycee and the girls. He was competent enough to fool authorities into releasing him early from both prison and parole supervision. I say he is competent to stand trial.

I agree, Dr. Doogie. The dude obviously has mental issues, but I think he is perfectly capable of understanding what's going on.

I agree with all of you, PG is very capable of standing trial and knowing exactly what is going on.

IMHO it is another political move because so many fingers can be pointed at the system.
The jerk should have never been released when they had him in the first place, Bad police work, bad, PO work. It is a fiasco where the Government likes a revolving door in the prison system. It has nothing to do with justice, or protecting the innocent. :furious::furious::furious:

JMHO

What is so annoying about this move, is that it is the same as the moves he tried when he was going to go to trial for the kidnapping and rape of Katie. Do I think that anyone who could do what Phil Garrido did is sane? No, but does he know right from wrong? Ah, yea, or he wouldn't have continued to hide Jaycee, making her lie about her identity for all those years. !

Ugh! I was worried about this happening! This is way too similar to what has ended up happening with the couple who kidnapped Elizabeth Smart. BS.

While a few have gotten away with this, I am certain they will have him examined by state and defense forensic psychologists. Yes this man is off, but he knows what is going on. He hid Jaycee and children, he ran a business and taught Jaycee how to do the same, he maintained a normal life (other than Jaycee and children) until his Court appearances. He is competent to stand trial, no doubt about it.

Garrido has been found competent. Now, I fully expect Tapson to try the same stalling tactic for Nancy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back