Shortage of drug holds up some U.S. executions

I saw that in another article I read today. California is set to resume executions and there has been controversy on whether to use a 3-drug combination, which they had been doing, or just this one drug. The next execution is scheduled for Thurs. night. The prisoner refuses to choose. The drug manufacturer is potentially holding up 4 other executions by delaying, and they stated they don't want it used for executions! GRRRR!

The 45-hour reprieve pushes the execution to within hours of the Friday expiration date on the state's supply of sodium thiopental, one of the drugs used in the lethal injection process. Hospira, the only company in the country that makes the drug, said it has production problems and can't deliver any new shipments until early next year. Several other states have rescheduled executions because of the drug shortage. The company has also told prison officials across the country, "we do not support the use of any of our products in capital punishment procedures." The California attorney general's office said Monday it would recommend not scheduling any more executions after Thursday until the state can secure a fresh supply of the drug, an anesthetic that renders condemned inmates unconscious before lethal drugs are injected. Lawyers in the attorney general's office said in August that execution dates would be aggressively pursued for four other inmates who, like Brown, had completed the federal and state appeals process. But that was before the California shortage was disclosed in a court filing Saturday. Already, prosecutors have canceled a planned Sept. 14 court hearing to set an execution date for Michael Morales, who came within two hours of execution in February 2006 before prison officials canceled his lethal injection and moved to comply with a federal judge's order to overhaul the state's capital punishment system. Three other death row inmates -- Kevin Cooper, David Raley and Mitchell Sims -- may have also benefited from the shortage because they were on the short list of execution candidates.http://www.ktvu.com/news/25184850/detail.html

Killer drug shortage could delay California execution
Albert Greenwood Brown is scheduled to die at 9:00 pm Thursday (0800 GMT Friday) for abducting and raping a 15-year-old schoolgirl in 1980 -- a day later than originally scheduled after a legal delay ordered by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger.
But the execution, due to take place at San Quentin prison north of San Francisco, has also been called into question because its timing comes shortly before the expiration date of a last remaining batch of the lethal drug injected into death row inmates after they enter the execution chamber.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.2f6d2f189001e51bb038ab8658c80eda.5c1

http://www.lavalleystar.com/sections/news/permanent-ban-on-lethal-injections-in-california-1.1642052

I don't think the 9th Circuit or the Judge want to be the one to pull the trigger because of the drug expiration date. This is a good out for them because in reality it would only delay execution until the beginning of the year.
This murder happened 30 years ago, so if this guy is set to be executed, in the final analysis a few weeks isn't going to matter.

For Pete's Sake! Just take em out back and put a bullet in em!

I have several boxes of bullets I would donate to help out!

Lethal Injection is supposed tp be the 'humane' way to execute, but no one these deviants murdered was murdered humanely. Most murder victims die a horrific death.

MOO

This seems like a sabotage by d.p. activist. I'm sure the humane society has plenty. Save a dog, and keep death row moving.

This seems like a sabotage by d.p. activist. I'm sure the humane society has plenty. Save a dog, and keep death row moving.

BRAVO!

wellspoke legalmania, I am with you. This is just so much BS. and this bears repeating:

Save a dog, and keep death row moving

Now I get your point:doh:... obtain the drug from the Humane Society... unfortunately a judge has decided already to put the kibosh on this particular execution, so it's not going to happen tomorrow night!

Since when is an expired medication used to kill not going to kill because it's past the date?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back