Hundreds feared dead after landslide buries Mexico town

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
OAXACA, Mexico — Hundreds of people were buried in their homes early Tuesday after a rain-soaked mountainside gave way in southwestern Mexico, officials said. Donato Vargas, an official in Santa Maria Tlahuitoltepec reached by phone, said 500 people were missing and that 300 homes were buried after the slide hit around 4 a.m. local time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39398543/ns/weather

Thanks JBean... God help those poor people. It seems like one tragedy after another. Going to check the National news now...

This is just so sad. They were probably living in a poor part of the city too and to have this tragedy destroy them. It just breaks my heart! RIP to the families of Oaxaca!

Here's a L.A. Times blog, reported from Mexico City:

Hundreds feared dead in landslide in Oaxaca

A landslide swept a village in the southern Mexican state of Oaxaca while residents slept and engulfed at least 100 homes, trapping and possibly killing at least 400 people, state authorities said.

and more, at
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/laplaza/2010/09/breaking-landslide-oaxaca.html

What a nightmare for both the victims and the survivors looking for their loved ones. Wonder if the US will send any kind of help to them?

Prayers for the people in that area of Mexico.

I love Mexico, the people, the food, the music, and the old buildings.

The people of Mexico have to endure the terror of the drug cartels there. My heart goes out to the good, law abiding people of that country and the area that was affected by this disaster.

What a nightmare for both the victims and the survivors looking for their loved ones. Wonder if the US will send any kind of help to them?

Of course they will.

We have people starving and homeless here but what the heck.

I'm sorry for the people involved in this tragedy but we are in pretty rotten shape here. In the U.S.A

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back